$20.00
Andrew Wodzianski
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Painter - Player
mbmbmbmbmb
I, Andrew Wodzianski (F:ATie 'Drewcula'), will share a little DreadBall league story. I call it, THE PASSING OF THE CORT DREADBALL LEAGUE TROPHY IV.

Since Mantic's first DreadBall Kickstarter delivery in Q4 of 2012, my gaming group has been exclusively playing Dreadball! Though our league of six may be small in number, it abounds with; commitment, pride, jealousy, rivalry, and competitive furor.

We call our league CORT. It stands for either; C.itizens O.f R.age T.own / C.yber O.ptic R.ed T.eam. It depends on the amount of alcohol consumed. We celebrate the end of each DreadBall league season with the passing of three trophies; 1) The sacko [last place], 2) The Ultimate [our "all-star" Ultimate match throw down winner, and 3) 'DreadBalls The Trophy' [season champ].

An obligation of any trophy recipient is to modify/enhance the prize before it passes to another coach at the end of next season. I was fortunate enough to win CORT DreadBall Season Three with the NOMA Vermin (Veer-Myn). After proudly displaying my trophy in my office for six months, I took it to the studio for "improvements."

Backstory: Our league commissioner, JE donated the first iteration of 'DreadBalls The Trophy.' He found it discarded on the street. That's right, it was garbage. Technically, a metal compact disc rack in the shape of an electric guitar and heavily advertised by Budweiser. JE made modest signage to declare its recycled purpose (with a handsome picture of Darth Helmet) and awarded it to our first season's champ, ZCB [coaching the Male Corporation].

ZCB would return at the end of season two with a bold trophy color change; Silver! Coincidentally, ZCB would also win our second season [coaching the Teratons]. The metallic sheen of victory would return to his possession for another season.

ZCB is a hell of a DreadBall player, and he earned his way into a third championship bout at the end of season three. He approached the game with assured confidence; the trophy had NO IMPROVEMENTS. After group ridicule, ZCB replied, "It's okay, I'll make some adjustments when I take it home again tonight." His Void Sirens ate crow that night, and my Veer-myn won the prize.

In part comeuppance to my friend's brazen disregard for tradition, and in part pride for my middling craftsmanship - I vowed to make the CORT trophy improvements large. "Go big or go home."

I completely dismantled the trophy. I sanded it, and I painted over ZCB's silver finish with a proper sheen of GOLD. I replaced JE's signage with pain staking accuracy. Then I expanded. After a few pieces of pine, a drill press, some wood glue, black paint and varnish - a casing was built. I was not finished! A bowling trophy was rescued from a local thrift store, and with the help of a Dremel - the bowler on top was released from bondage. A few more pieces of signage would only be complemented by a Blaine Sponsor finished in gold [intended for the next winner to use as a commemorative coach in season five].

But I wasn't done. My last stroke of trophy improvement was to be a matter of collaboration. Though I've attended gaming conventions for twenty six years, I went to Gen Con for my first time this summer. I went to game, and drink, and eat, and - meet Ronnie Renton. Ronnie is the president of Mantic Games.

I met Ronnie and asked for a two minute favor. He graciously accepted as he put me on timer. I succinctly explained my request: I wanted him to sign CORT's 'DreadBalls The Trophy.' He agreed. Not knowing British slang as well as I should, I gave Ronnie a set of options for quotation (printed on cardstock). He chose one, and included a lightly abstracted illustration of a penis.

With quotation in hand, I affixed the card onto the trophy's backside and delivered it to last week's championship match. CORT DreadBall League Season Four featured JE and his Symphony of Destruction (Veer-myn) against AP's Brightwood RoboBotTrons (Robots). JE land slided AP in rush six.
Trophy presented, JE is CORT's proud champ of the season. KC takes the sacko, and we'll determine who wins at Ultimate in two weeks. Thanks for reading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burbidge
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
Dreadball Xtreme is funding on Kickstarter now!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I could play in the CORT league.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff White
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
burbidge wrote:

Hear! Hear!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Squires
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
burbidge wrote:

Me too!!!!!!!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Clement-Bremer
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Since the trophy is currently back in my possession I'd really appreciate it if anyone could give me some ideas on what the next addition should be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burbidge
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
Dreadball Xtreme is funding on Kickstarter now!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wings?
Glitter?
Unicorn Head?
Soundtrack (stick an old ipod/iphone in it)?
Lights?
Rhinestones?
Fur?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattia Piola
Italy
flag msg tools
You just convinced me my pledge is well placed. Such a great gaming story! Thanks for sharing it. Now I WANT to play this game SO BAD. Too bad it's gonna come in little less than a year... I'll try to find a copy of the original in the meantime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Gaskell
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is tremendous, and gives me inspiration for our upcoming Dreadball league.

The inclusion of solar-powered Christmas twinkly lights would round-off a thoroughly superb trophy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.