Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Orlando Neto
Brazil
Rio das Ostras
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of new games but nothing for this one? Is it really dead?
too bad, I'll have to sell mine since game is abandoned...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First, Fantasy Flight doesn't announce things before GenCon - they announce them AT GenCon.

Second, why do you assume it's dead? They JUST released the expansion character packs for it.

Third, why do you need to sell a game because more expansions aren't being made for it? Does the game stop being playable somehow? If that's how you feel, then you should just switch entirely to CCG's - that's the only model that's going to continue to get expansions forever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N S.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup. Game is dead. Better throw it in the garbage and move on to something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As said above, FFG mostly divulges this stuff *at* the con rather than before. They announced a few new games to start buzz but I wouldn't be surprised if expansion news would wait for the con. Also, just because they are not announcing things yet, even if they don't announce them at GenCon, doesn't mean they're not working on something in the background. They might just think it's not ready for prime time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Kempf
United States
Jefferson City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
motoyugota wrote:
First, Fantasy Flight doesn't announce things before GenCon - they announce them AT GenCon.

Well technically they do announce things before GenCon, go check out their webpage for the half dozen or so announcements already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Holy Crap!

I was JUST playing this game last night!

Now you are telling me its dead?

Noooooooo!

I had such a great game (session report in review) - I should have told the game I loved it more. I never thought our time would be cut short. And so soon after the character expansions. I should have been suspicious when those decks were Print On Demand. I knew not having that linen finish meant something deeper.

Next thing you'll tell me is that Space Hulk - Death Angel has been dead since its last expansion published 2012. And to think, I have been loving that corpse for over 100 plays!

OSG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oldschoolgamr wrote:
I was JUST playing this game last night! Now you are telling me its dead?

Me too! But its totally dead. I killed Snak Kraggle deader than dead. Arrow through the head while he hit behind some ballistas. That's what we're talking about right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe D
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the game had really sold beyond expectations? (First printing sold out really quick). If it's selling well, why would FFG let it die?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magellan1 wrote:
I thought the game had really sold beyond expectations? (First printing sold out really quick). If it's selling well, why would FFG let it die?

Because there are lots of Chicken Little's out there that think the sky is falling when a company announces anything that doesn't have anything to do with their one cherished game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John E
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the picture will get a lot clearer after the FFG in-flight presentation this Friday. If they don't mention the game at all that will speak volumes. I'm sure I will be a hitting up their booth a few times this week so if an expansion is one of their surprise games that they have limited quantities of the con hopefully I can snag one -- hope springs eternal!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oldschoolgamr wrote:
And to think, I have been loving that corpse for over 100 plays!

Game necrophilia?!?! What next, you're going to tell me you've been playing Acquire? I mean really, that game's been around for FIFTY YEARS without even a single expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
motoyugota wrote:
Magellan1 wrote:

Because there are lots of Chicken Little's out there that think the sky is falling when a company announces anything that doesn't have anything to do with their one cherished game.

To be fair, there is a lot of speculation that FFG is losing the Warhammer license since Games Workshop is making their own games again. But you're right that we have nothing but rumor to back it up. And even if true, the game we have is still in my closet. (Well... as far as I know... maybe FFG will sneak into our homes and replace it with a star wars game while we sleep!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
motoyugota wrote:
oldschoolgamr wrote:
And to think, I have been loving that corpse for over 100 plays!

Game necrophilia?!?! What next, you're going to tell me you've been playing Acquire? I mean really, that game's been around for FIFTY YEARS without even a single expansion.

I am STILL waiting for that chess expansion! I have been refusing to play until they release the new content they promised in year 280.

I think it was supposed to be a mini figure upgrade with customizable poses and paintable bases - but not sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:
motoyugota wrote:
Magellan1 wrote:

To be fair, there is a lot of speculation that FFG is losing the Warhammer license since Games Workshop is making their own games again. But you're right that we have nothing but rumor to back it up. And even if true, the game we have is still in my closet. (Well... as far as I know... maybe FFG will sneak into our homes and replace it with a star wars game while we sleep!)

But they've never even HAD a license for miniatures games based on GW properties. And GW may be making games again, but they aren't going to start making normal board and card games - they are still a miniatures company and will still just be making miniatures games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oldschoolgamr wrote:
I am STILL waiting for that chess expansion! I have been refusing to play until they release the new content they promised in year 280.

Dude, you missed the news: 3-D Chess. It's a cash grab though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orlando Neto
Brazil
Rio das Ostras
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow calm down guys. I just think the game needs some fresh after the main campaign.
The sell thing is to get money for games that have better replay value. I can't afford many games so I need to make some cash.
Let's wait then for gencon and hope for some news.
Edit: Ok, maybe I have exaggerated naming it dead... Sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
topera wrote:
Wow calm down guys. I just think the game needs some fresh after the main campaign.
The sell thing is to get money for games that have better replay value. I can't afford many games so I need to make some cash.

We're just playing - got carried away myself - all in good fun... But, I do know what you mean. Many hate when they know a game has released all it ever will.

I love Gears of War - just found out about it last year. Know nothing will be likely printed again, but still enjoy the game a ton and play it all the time. Just they way I roll.

I have 78 plays (Quests) of Warhammer under my belt and even if nothing new was ever printed for the game I will still be playing that same first Campaign. I tried the Delve, but like the chained five-quest campaign better. I just keep repeating the same set of quests with three new heroes. You just never know what is going to happen and even with the same cards over and over the emerging narrative is entertaining to me (look for my latest endgame description in sessions pending approval).

I do hope we hear news at Gen Con about a proper expansion, but I know the Sadler Bros have been busy with Walking Dead minis game - so maybe some one else at FFG. Corey has moved on to bigger games and so perhaps the designer of the Delve quest or the expansion packs managed to pull something together... that would be cool, for sure.

But even if nothing is heard, I will continue to play the crap out of the game... Heck - there were multiple years between expansions for Blood Bowl FFG card game. We'll see. We'll see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oldschoolgamr wrote:
topera wrote:
Wow calm down guys. I just think the game needs some fresh after the main campaign

We're just playing - got carried away myself - all in good fun...

Oh my yes. Please don't take anything I posted seriously, just being silly with pre-gencon excitement
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's time to complain after the Gen Con if no expansion will be announced and not before it even started ;P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oldschoolgamr wrote:
topera wrote:

We're just playing - got carried away myself - all in good fun... But, I do know what you mean. Many hate when they know a game has released all it ever will.

I love Gears of War - just found out about it last year. Know nothing will be likely printed again, but still enjoy the game a ton and play it all the time. Just they way I roll.

I have 78 plays (Quests) of Warhammer under my belt and even if nothing new was ever printed for the game I will still be playing that same first Campaign. I tried the Delve, but like the chained five-quest campaign better. I just keep repeating the same set of quests with three new heroes. You just never know what is going to happen and even with the same cards over and over the emerging narrative is entertaining to me (look for my latest endgame description in sessions pending approval).

I do hope we hear news at Gen Con about a proper expansion, but I know the Sadler Bros have been busy with Walking Dead minis game - so maybe some one else at FFG. Corey has moved on to bigger games and so perhaps the designer of the Delve quest or the expansion packs managed to pull something together... that would be cool, for sure.

But even if nothing is heard, I will continue to play the crap out of the game... Heck - there were multiple years between expansions for Blood Bowl FFG card game. We'll see. We'll see.

I agree with you completely. I might add, even though the game is good "as is" it's obviously designed with expansions in mind and people are programmed (by LCG's) to expect expansions almost on the heels of the core game. Darn you FFG for softening us up with your near ceaseless flow of quality product!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing about Warhammer Quest is that most people, including reviewers, said it is ripe for FFG style series of expansions. A Game that tries to do Pathfinder and Lord of the Rings and similar adventure card games better.

As a single game, it's okay, but this really needs variety of monsters and quests. It's just not interesting to grind the same synergies over and over again.

But alas, expansion will never happen with this. Hopefully they will retheme it in some way - this would actually be a great Lord of the Rings retheme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:

But alas, expansion will never happen with this.

You forgot that add, IMHO, cause this is speculation not fact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spukky wrote:
Slashdoctor wrote:

But alas, expansion will never happen with this.

You forgot that add, IMHO, cause this is speculation not fact.

This is like breakup. If a girl has moved her things out and does not pick up the phone anymore and is attending various events without you, but has forgotten to change relationship status on Facebook, it means that it is over.

I have been young and naive in the past and thought that 'no announcement is a good thing'.

But we have a situation where seemingly rushed print on demand mini-expansions were released for Warhammer Quest, Forbidden Stars designer was let go while working on the expansion and Warhammer 40K Conquest card game hasn't got any new announcements against the ordinary for LCG releases and also had a series of really rushed packs released.

All of this just piles up.

I do hope that I am wrong. I really do. I love Warhammer Quest and Forbidden Stars.

But it is highly unlikely that there ever will be an announcement, because it will hurt Asmodee sales which would drop significantly for the remaining stock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lau
Malaysia
Petaling jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing released by FFG is really OOP for long.

Just look at Doom the boardgame. Or Fury of Dracula.

FFG will always reprint their stuff after X number of years. So, if it is out of print now, all you have to do is to wait awhile and it will be back in print.

Ditto for most OOP modern (post 2008) non-wargame boardgames out there. They will always reprint 'OOP' boardgames once there is a demand for them. Just look at Space Hulk and a host of other boardgames that were supposedly OOP.

After collecting boardgames for a decade, I came to the realization that no boardgame is worth chasing after. If you wait long enough, it will be back in print once its popularity spikes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
friedricetheman wrote:
Nothing released by FFG is really OOP for long.

Just look at Doom the boardgame. Or Fury of Dracula.

FFG will always reprint their stuff after X number of years. So, if it is out of print now, all you have to do is to wait awhile and it will be back in print.

Ditto for most OOP modern (post 2008) non-wargame boardgames out there. They will always reprint 'OOP' boardgames once there is a demand for them. Just look at Space Hulk and a host of other boardgames that were supposedly OOP.

After collecting boardgames for a decade, I came to the realization that no boardgame is worth chasing after. If you wait long enough, it will be back in print once its popularity spikes.

Those examples (Doom and FoD) are pretty different, I wouldn't call them reprints. Especially Doom is a totally different game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.