Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pierre Lanrezac
France
Chatou
Yvelines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the answer is yes, please head over here to grab our Print and Play of the full core game (for 4 players):
http://tinyurl.com/j73vqm7

You never built a print and play before ? Have no fear, Sandy explains everything here:
https://youtu.be/KhNNC0vAcik

Don't forget to tell us what you think of the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keusch
United States
Ann Arbor
MI
flag msg tools
It's hard to remember we're alive for the first time. It's hard to remember we're alive for the last time.
mbmbmbmbmb
awesome, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will check this out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Saricov
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just finished prepering the P&P, will try this during the week. Thank you for the chance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Gourion
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't know if it is he right place but while the main board graphics is just amazing, the side boards for the Hells and the Heavens are just not so nice... Are they definitive designs ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bengougou75 wrote:
I don't know if it is he right place but while the main board graphics is just amazing, the side boards for the Hells and the Heavens are just not so nice... Are they definitive designs ?

Pretty sure this is early days and the art is just enough to get you by for the PnP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FullContactGEEK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Just played this tonight. Very interesting game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Lanrezac
France
Chatou
Yvelines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bengougou75 wrote:

As far as I know they are not (but I like them by the way)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FullContactGEEK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone know which areas on the 5p map to block off to make it a 3p map?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gabbert
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Gods' War (TGW) is now my first Print-n-Play. I've never played Cthulhu Wars but I've been a Glorantha-phile since the early '80s, and I've been following the announcements and development of TGW for some time now. So I'm very interested, but at the same time, the expected price is a lot more than I normally spend on a single game. I've backed a lot of KS games on impulse (often based on a 'Rahdo Runthrough') and I've been happy with most of them. But there's a big difference between betting $25-$60 on whether I'll like a game and get my family to play, and putting down several hundred dollars on something that might fall flat at our house. Which is why I appreciate Petersen Games making the PnP available and why I decided to spend a couple of evenings building it, then a few more playing it.

About the build: I have access to a color laser printer at work, so printing out the PDFs wasn't hard. The biggest paper I could use was 11"x17", so I printed the main map in two pieces and ended up with a roughly 16"x16" play area which I glued to cardboard. This is smaller than the recommended 24"x24", so I scaled down the Spike/Rift and Kylerela pieces (66%). Since I couldn't print to cardstock, I bought sheets of poster paper, pasted everything down, then cut them all out. I scavenged the house for pennies for the standees and had to buy another 50 cent roll when my supply ran out. But in the end, I had a working copy of the game for about $5 in materials (incl. free printing) and around three hours of labor (experienced PnPers could probably do it in half the time).

I'd read the rules a few times and lurked through a PBF game here, so I was somewhat familiar with the game. Joining me were my three sons: 19, 14, and 12. Earlier in the week, we'd played first games of Scythe and New Bedford, so they're used to indulging my KS mania. I played Storm, 19 to my left played Dark, 12 to my right played Chaos, and 14 across from me played Sky. Since they knew nothing about the game or the setting, I gave them some off-the-cuff Glorantha background lore and read aloud the advice for each Empire from the PnP rules. I also made clear that this was a "learning and evaluation" game and that it was fine to make mistakes with rules and to ask questions and to discuss or even take back moves. Our mission was to figure out whether this is something I should back.

I'm not going to provide a full session report, but we ended up playing over two nights. After the first night, I noticed that we'd been treating Sea spaces as if they were different from Land spaces (all of our buildings were on land), but after reviewing the rules, I realized that they are functionally equivalent for the most part. I let everyone know and on the second night, people started expanding into the seas, as well. I think we still forgot that Heaven and Hell are also build-able areas, though. And Kylerela seemed to confuse everyone and was never Moved. I also discovered that Chaos (12) had made a fairly major rules error on the first night: he'd been spending Power to flip his Chaos Nests to Imbedded before achieving the Gift that grants that ability. As a result, the rest of us had spent those turns rooting the Imbedded Nests out. I think the early turns would've been a lot different had he gotten more regular Nests out, as well as Broos and one or more of his Chaos Gods. And the rest of us might also have gotten more of our forces on the map (which combined with our all but ignoring Sea spaces for the first half of the game likely means that a lot of the early game's dynamics were out of whack).

On the second night, Dark (19) began to pull into the lead and the rest of us failed to unite to stop him. Notably, the Sun God never escaped Hell, but he certainly had fun Sunspearing people (I also don't think he grasped how to use his Great Decrees). Dark won during the Council Phase of Turn 6 or 7 quite handily. Final scores were Dark 46, Storm 40, Chaos 30, Sky 29. I think everyone had a good time and I've left the game set up to play at least one more time, maybe two if I can get them to the table even though school is starting up again.

One common comment seemed to be that they (even 19 who won) were still trying to figure out what they were supposed to do, so perhaps the paths to victory are less clear than they're used to. Anyway, I'd like to give everyone a chance to play different Empires and maybe scramble up the seating order, too. (Note to self: read all of the Gifts and Heroquests and encourage more diplomacy and deal-making.) So far, my crude PnP set is holding up physically and the smaller map worked fine.

We also had a few questions come up:
1. Was there supposed to be a Mad God token for the score track apart from the Mad God standee?
2. During the Gather Power phase, do the non-Chaos players resume receiving the 1pt Glorantha bonus once the Chaos Rift is closed?
3. If Storm has a temple/ziggurat at the top or bottom of the map, does Heaven count as "one area" that can be skipped over to get to the opposite side of the map?
4. During the Great Compromise, what happens if no one agrees to be the Judge (leaving aside whether this is a good idea)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Lanrezac
France
Chatou
Yvelines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mgabbert wrote:

1. Was there supposed to be a Mad God token for the score track apart from the Mad God standee?
2. During the Gather Power phase, do the non-Chaos players resume receiving the 1pt Glorantha bonus once the Chaos Rift is closed?
3. If Storm has a temple/ziggurat at the top or bottom of the map, does Heaven count as "one area" that can be skipped over to get to the opposite side of the map?
4. During the Great Compromise, what happens if no one agrees to be the Judge (leaving aside whether this is a good idea)?

Thanks for the experience sharing !
1. Nope we forgot, you can use a penny ( a Mad penny)
2. Yes the Gloranthan boost returns once the Rift is closed
3. Yes I think (to be checked)
4. Then no compromise takes place and you proceed as usual
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gabbert
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pitpipo wrote:
mgabbert wrote:

Thanks for the experience sharing !
1. Nope we forgot, you can use a penny ( a Mad penny)
2. Yes the Gloranthan boost returns once the Rift is closed
3. Yes I think (to be checked)
4. Then no compromise takes place and you proceed as usual

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ukko Kaarto
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mgabbert wrote:
I'm not going to provide a full session report, but we ended up playing over two nights.

The big question is: Are you gonna kickstart the game? On what pledge level?

And also: How was it? What game does it "fire" (which of your favourite games this will be played instead of)?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gabbert
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mordjinn wrote:
mgabbert wrote:
I'm not going to provide a full session report, but we ended up playing over two nights.

The big question is: Are you gonna kickstart the game? On what pledge level?

And also: How was it? What game does it "fire" (which of your favourite games this will be played instead of)?

Thanks.

I pledged at the "Hero" ($450) level this morning. In for a penny, in for a pound, I guess. blush But it's conditional. On average, I spend about $35 on a single KS game. The most I've ever spent is $100. So since this blows up my annual gaming budget, I have promised myself (and my patient wife who blessed my backing of a Duchess gaming table last month) that I will sell off some things to cover the unusual cost. If I don't, I will either dial it back to just the core game or even drop it entirely.

I haven't been able to get a second (or third) game in yet, but I hope to before the campaign ends. It was fun but none of us played very well, and I spent the next couple of days thinking of ways each empire could've played better. That's usually a good sign! (While they are very different games, my recent between-sessions experience with Scythe has been similar.)

As for what it replaces, I'm not sure. I've tended more towards family games and less confrontational Euros. I don't have much in the way of dudes-on-a-map dice chuckers. But now that my kids are older, battling on the board doesn't result in hurt feelings as much as it once did, so it's fun to start venturing into new play styles. But given the "investment" in this one, it's likely to be the only game of its type I own for quite some time!

(Btw, I'm also actually quite happy about the bonus Gloranthan PDFs. I was a Guide to Glorantha backer, but I only have the physical books, which while beautiful, are so large and heavy that they are somewhat difficult to read.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mgabbert wrote:
I haven't been able to get a second (or third) game in yet, but I hope to before the campaign ends. It was fun but none of us played very well, and I spent the next couple of days thinking of ways each empire could've played better. That's usually a good sign! (While they are very different games, my recent between-sessions experience with Scythe has been similar.)

I quickly noticed this 'thinking about refining a strategy' and 'anxious to replay' feeling too. and even figured out why and wrote about it once: Lets Play it Again!

I now have less interest in playing what I call the hot set of 'deal me a strategy' games preferring the games without randomly drawn engines that let me fully create my own strategy with repetition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ste M
msg tools
Is it playable just with exact 4 player?

Are there some hints to get this version playable by 3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Andriot
France
flag msg tools
You can play with 3 players, but you will have to ignore some areas on the right side of the map. My solution was to put shrines (or nests) of the faction you are not using to remind you wich areas are blocked.

The blocked area would be

-Kralorela
-Teshnos
-Teleos
-Vithela (but not the gates of dawn !)
-Elf Jungle

Also The Gates of Dawn have sea crossings to Genert's Garden and Artmal Empire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.