Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had understood that the game had a hard limit; you were simply not allowed to have more than the maximum number of cards. However, The Deadly Years mission specifically says to draw an extra card during the next draw phase.

So ARE you allowed to go over your hand limit? Obviously you wouldn't draw additional cards during the Draw phase (normally), but what if you play Yeoman Rand? In what circumstances can you go over, and (since you can't discard), what happens if you have more than your hand limit at the end/beginning of your turn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Austin
Canada
flag msg tools
We play it that if we go over the hand limit of six, we don't draw any more cards, as it says "draw up to your hand limit." If you are already at six or over, you don't draw. We didn't discard the extra cards either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The only references I can find to hand limits in the rules are on pages 4 and 5. Page 4 says how many cards each player gets during setup. Page 5 refers to players "drawing up to their starting hand size". I can't find anything about discarding down to your hand size, or otherwise enforcing hand size limits.

So my interpretation would be that you are allowed to have any number of cards in your hand, but when you get to phase 1 (Draw Enterprise Cards), you would only draw up to your hand size. If you're already at or over it, you wouldn't draw any.

If you weren't allowed to temporarily exceed the hand size, then Yeoman Rand would be weird--you might discard her but only be allowed to draw one card instead of two.

I don't know what the official interpretation is/will be, but that's how I would play it until I hear otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it was The Deadly Years that threw me, since it specifically says to draw an extra card. I'm hoping for an official answer, but I'm sure everyone's and at Gen Con.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, Uhura's hand size is effectively +1 since after she draws up, she gets to draw another during the the Play Cards phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that Gen Con's over, I'm hoping we can get an official answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin De Witt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Linda,

No, there is no hard limit to the hand size here. It's quite possible a Mission reward or card effect will let you draw more than your normal hand size. In which case, it's as you guessed, you do not draw any additional cards during the Draw Up phase.

Hope that helps!
Justin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for clearing that up. Great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.