Popular Tags: [View All]
Guillaume B
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi,

I'm about to purchase the French 1st Version of this game, but I now see that the German have a 3rd version and English a 2nd version.

Is it possible to know:
1- What are the difference between the various versions? Is it just rule changes, or they have added/corrected some cards?

2- Is there a way to "upgrade" my version (even with English components, I don't have) to the newer?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not aware of 3 versions, but I don't live in Germany either. The first edition uses flimsy paper for a lot of the parts which tends to warp instead of laying flat on the table. The most recent reprint replaced the paper with actual cardboard and it is a substantial improvement in my opinion. No rules changes between any of the editions.

At one point you could buy the new cardboard parts (which is what I did) from http://lookout-spiele.de/ but it looks like they don't have them any more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Valencia
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
I'm not aware of 3 versions, but I don't live in Germany either. The first edition uses flimsy paper for a lot of the parts which tends to warp instead of laying flat on the table. The most recent reprint replaced the paper with actual cardboard and it is a substantial improvement in my opinion. No rules changes between any of the editions.

At one point you could buy the new cardboard parts (which is what I did) from http://lookout-spiele.de/ but it looks like they don't have them any more.

FWIW, I played the game quite a bit (old edition) and never had a problem with warping.

That said, I do recommend the upgraded (thicker) boards. They just feel better to play with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I am aware of three editions?

1: thin paper, weak clasps
2: thin paper, metal clasps
3: thick paper, metal clasps

I have the second edition, and the thin paper hasn't warped or otherwise posed a functional problem. Would prefer thicker, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
The thick boards make it harder to fit everything in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume B
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks all for the answers. I will probably play very occasionally, so I am not too concerned about the thin paper.

I was more concerned about erratas and rule modification/clarification, as it was the case in Agricola.

But there seems to be a consensus that the changes are only cosmetic so I am satisfied with my purchase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.