Jaime B
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone!

Before Seafall's release, I wanted to make a journal entry about what it was like to playtest Seafall for 2 and a half years. It ended up turning into an article so I posted it on my personal website here: http://boardgamefightclub.com/articles/The-Seafall-Playteste...

I ran this by Rob Daviau and he approved it without any edits, so it's now yours to read!

-Jaime
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Pishnery
United States
Lakewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
That was great! Thanks for writing that up and sharing with everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime B
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome! Glad you liked it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting read!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've heard Rob talk on podcasts about the reason the prologue and first game have restrictions on player vs player interactions being because of playtest groups losing sight of the objectives in the first game and turning it into a bloody brawl, necessitating the change.

Now we know who is to blame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmb
My question is how did you manage to grow an invite only gaming group to 30, but perhaps that's best suited for another forum…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chanfan wrote:
My question is how did you manage to grow an invite only gaming group to 30

By inviting 29 people, I would think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime B
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:
I've heard Rob talk on podcasts about the reason the prologue and first game have restrictions on player vs player interactions being because of playtest groups losing sight of the objectives in the first game and turning it into a bloody brawl, necessitating the change.

Now we know who is to blame.

I'll leave the question of "is our specific group being referenced when Rob talks about groups turning Seafall into a bloodbath" for him to answer. Right now I can neither confirm nor deny.

-Jaime
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime B
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Chanfan wrote:
My question is how did you manage to grow an invite only gaming group to 30

By inviting 29 people, I would think.

Hah - I wish it was that easy.

Some very quick things about how the group started:

1. In 2008 I invited 8 people who were cool and liked board games to a board game playing event at my apartment. And then a huge blizzard happened the day of and no one showed up.

When I rescheduled, 6 people made it. We played on the carpet in my apartment because I literally didn't have enough chairs for all 7 of us. The first game we ever played was Bohnanza.

2. I hosted it on a Saturday afternoon and we had pizza delivered for dinner.

3. I told people that if they had a good time, they should invite 1-2 people for the next event, but no more. I would also do the same.

4. Consistency was key. Every 1.5 months, everyone in the group knew to expect another gathering at my apartment, and I gave them 2-3 weeks notice.

After 2 years, the group was consistently growing very slowly but it kept growing and that was the important part.

Happy to dive into this part of it more, but the key was literally to just start somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fed Aykin

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
I have built gaming groups through similar means, and I think this method is fantastic. Some people will doubtless say that they don't know any other, or enough other, modern boardgame enthusiasts. In that case, just invite cool, fun people and play games that are more casual and easy to grasp. They may quickly become enthusiasts.

Some suggestions for games anyone can learn and enjoy the first evening:

Codenames
Ticket To Ride
Sheriff of Nottingham
Secret Hitler (or other social deduction game)
Revolution!
Camel Up

Ultimately you want your email list to grow until you can't accommodate any more players. I've done this for boardgames and for Magic drafts, and it works very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Washington
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A secret boardgaming group in New England.

Patriot fans and their secrets.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.