Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Cave
United States
Myrtle Beach
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An original digital board game.

This game is fantastic. Ignore the negative reviews, they are from players that are just not good at making the best possible game decisions and haven't been able to figure out a winning strategy. The game is very unforgiving and is meant to give you a feeling of hopelessness, but bad dice rolls can be overcome by making sound choices in other areas of the game. It's all about making the best out of your rolls and putting your dice in the right place. One player had a 30 game winning streak with some games on hard difficulty and everyone thought it was fake, lol.

A must-have for anyone that even has a passing interest in digital board games. Wish it was on iOS/Android.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/323060/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilson W
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel compelled to ask if you are in any way affiliated with the design, creation, or distribution of this game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Cave
United States
Myrtle Beach
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wilsonw wrote:
I feel compelled to ask if you are in any way affiliated with the design, creation, or distribution of this game?

I wish, but absolutely not. It's high praise is deserved and Steam was an odd fit for it. If I had anything to do with it, it would have hit iOS first and got some buzz right here.

I just think it's that good of a board game that didn't get enough attention at release because Steam was just not a good market for it.

I also think it's good enough to be ported to cardboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Narkul wrote:
Ignore the negative reviews, they are from players that are just not good at making the best possible game decisions and haven't been able to figure out a winning strategy.

They aren't wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Cave
United States
Myrtle Beach
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Horror Leader wrote:
Narkul wrote:
Ignore the negative reviews, they are from players that are just not good at making the best possible game decisions and haven't been able to figure out a winning strategy.

They aren't wrong.

They are not wrong in having an opinion, but they are mostly wrong in their assessment of the game being all RNG. Tharsis has a lot of good decision making that can dramatically impact the game.

If anyone finds the game too punishing or needs a nudge in the right direction, watch Dragondave17 win his 30+ games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-vogfm3Jgo&list=PL7dFS57Pzs...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I bit. After watching the videos on the store page, and hearing the designer's obvious passion for dice and the ways they can be manipulated, mitigated, and used to build tension, it seemed like something I would dig. Anyway, with Steam's return policy, it was no risk. Turns out, I'm definitely keeping it. It's up there now, along Elder Sign, as my favorite board game style game on computers.

I just finished my first game (main storyline)... scored a 1576. And only had to have 3 human meals. Would be interested in hearing how other people score.

I would really love an actual board game version of this, too... would work great as a co-op.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Cave
United States
Myrtle Beach
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zenpunk wrote:
Well, I bit. After watching the videos on the store page, and hearing the designer's obvious passion for dice and the ways they can be manipulated, mitigated, and used to build tension, it seemed like something I would dig. Anyway, with Steam's return policy, it was no risk. Turns out, I'm definitely keeping it. It's up there now, along Elder Sign, as my favorite board game style game on computers.

I just finished my first game (main storyline)... scored a 1576. And only had to have 3 human meals. Would be interested in hearing how other people score.

I would really love an actual board game version of this, too... would work great as a co-op.

Good score for first game, I think it took me about 15 games just to make it to mars. Some guy posted it took him 72 games to get all astronauts to mars without cannibalism.

The game was just updated and one of the changes was an easier difficulty curve on normal. I'm curious as to what was changed to make it easier.
edit: To answer my own question, it looks like they have maybe reduced the number of events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Cave
United States
Myrtle Beach
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got 2 more achievements to get: get all crew classes to mars, survive three turns with just one crew member.
I've not been able to get the cannibal to mars yet for some reason. I guess it's time to start playing again at least to get all achievements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not all random. That's just what people say who haven't figured it out yet. However, no plan is good enough to survive a series of bad die rolls. I think it's pretty neat for the cost.

zenpunk wrote:

Already in the works...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for alerting us to the sale, looks cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it took me about five losses before a lucky run got me the "best" ending, which didn't make a lot of sense before I'd ever seen the other ending. I played it again, got the "best" ending again, checked out a Youtube video of the other ending, then kind of lost interest.

It's alright for half price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
zenpunk wrote:

Already in the works...

Woot! Great to hear ... consider my copy pre-ordered.

I just won the second mission, "All Hands On Board", with a score of 707 ... not sure how good that is, but if felt pretty darn good, considering that mission had just whipped my butt like 4 times in a row.

The last of those 4 losses was the harshest ... I was down to the last day with only 1 crew member left to act, but I only needed 8 more repairs, and he had like 4 or 5 dice so it looked like I was finally going to beat it. Then I rolled four 2s, killing him instantly. I think I just sat staring at the screen for like 5 minutes. Harsh, but like I said, made the following victory just that much sweeter.

Great game. If you're into figuring out dice probabilities and mathing out best strategies, this game is for you.

[EDIT:] As of this post, only 9 hours left in this sale, btw. Sale dead. (still worth it though )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
It's not all random. That's just what people say who haven't figured it out yet. However, no plan is good enough to survive a series of bad die rolls. I think it's pretty neat for the cost.

zenpunk wrote:

Already in the works...

Did the developers announce a physical board game version? Who is the publisher?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing announced. Early days. I just know about a publisher making inquiries. It may never amount to anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll publish it if they want!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PhotoJoeCA
United States
Bellflower
California
flag msg tools
$15. Dead

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giovanni
United States
MINNEAPOLIS
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Available through the Humble Bundle for pay what you want: https://www.humblebundle.com/survive-this-bundle

Probably deserves it's own thread, but I'll let someone else handle that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.