WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some facts:

1. My main gaming partner is my wife.

2. Her Birthday is Halloween.

3. She loves HP Lovecraft.

4. She loves mysteries.

5. She's a human, and therefore eats food.

I would like very much to combine these things into a 30th birthday party for her. I'd like for it to feel different from just a "Cthulhu Games Night." All the guests (or very nearly all the guests) would be gamers. Ideally it would include all the above facts, so my first thought was "Cthulhu Murder Mystery Dinner Party." I can find some murder mystery sets, even some with a mythos theme, but it makes me nervous, having never done a Murder Mystery Dinner Party before. Are they fun? Can somebody summarize how they work for me? Will my guests, as experienced gamers, just roll their eyes?

And, of course, I would like recommendations for a specific mythos-themed dinner party game if you've experienced them and enjoy them.

If the dinner party thing doesn't work out, I can always just switch gears. Perhaps a Call of Cthulhu night where we simply show up dressed in '20s gear. Maybe go full tilt with the props. I mean, I've got plenty of time. Anyway, I thought I'd look for insight from the Geeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Scholtens
United States
Verona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
No designs, publishing, or marketing here. Just love to play!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not murder mystery, but I highly recommend A Study in Emerald.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We love Study in Emerald, but we have plenty of game nights. I'm looking for something a little different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For a murder mystery, I might suggest a riff on HPL's "Thing on the Doorstep." The murder "victim" was a sorcerer (Ephraim Waite in the original) whose mind is now inhabiting the body of "his" killer.

You could even have the sorcerer kill again once during the course of the game--swapping bodies with another character (i.e. making that player into the murdering sorcerer), and then killing his previous body to cover his tracks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Ford
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have never done a murder mystery party of any sort, but here's one with the theme you want. Scroll down through the comments and there is a link from the author to the full text of the game at no cost. It's not clear to me what more you get if you buy it. Better formatting with pictures?

http://games.brianhumphreys.com/the-lurker-in-the-library-a-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For a gift you might look at

www.mysteriouspackagecompany.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.