Hide
4 Posts

War of the Ring (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Card Question - Conquered Settlements rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oliver O'Brien
msg tools
OK... I know this topic has been brought up in the past, but I've gotten confused over time and figured it would be best to directly address this since I will be playing a 4 player game tomorrow and expect that it could come up.

SO:

There are many cards in the game which allow for troops to be mustered in a specific location (Guards of the Citadel), or for troops to be moved to a new location (Path of Woses). I guess I was wondering whether my interpretation of these cards is correct when the given location is conquered (and thus no longer friendly) but is empty of enemy troops (and therefore free for army movement purposes).

My reading is that you may not muster troops with a card in a conquered territory but that you may retake a conquered territory that has been abandoned by use of a card that moves troops to that location.

So, with the cards I mentioned above, both deal with Minas Tirith. Let us assume that Minas Tirith is conquered but was foolishly left unprotected. In this scenario, Guards of the Citadel could not be played, however, Path of Woses could be used to retake Minas Tirith from Helm's Deep.

Correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost everything you said is correct. Muster cards don't work in regions controlled by your opponent. However, Path of Woses says "If Minas Tirith is under siege or is controlled by the Shadow player, move the Army to a region adjacent to Mias Tirith instead. The destination region must be free for the purposes of army movement."

In this scenario, MT is controlled by the shadow player, so the army can't move directly to MT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also notice that some movement event cards mention explicitly that the units you move need to end their movement where a friendly, already-existing army is. An enemy-controlled stronghold is, obviously, not considered an already existing own army. Just mentioning this for completeness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just as a general tip to help understand some of the movement cards, watch out for the phrase 'Free for the purposes of army movement' as it has a very specific meaning, defined fairly early on in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.