GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
14 Days Left
My golfer seems to work great independently but when I lock it into the rotating base I am having 2 issues:
1. The club "drags" on the playing surface during it's downward arc...just about when it hits the golf ball.
It appears that he is vertically correct/upright but the tolerances in the waist (where he turns) might have become more pronounced with age?
2. The button to turn the golfer seems to be operating fine but when the golfer is in place it seems that the travel is too slow to provide the right amount of force to hit the gold ball for any distance. Regarding the above issue, I have used one free hand to lean and hold the golfer back, preventing any club drag- but the results are almost identical.
Everything seems to be in decent working order but the central mechanic seems to falter when everything is in place...is it just age or is there a fix that anyone has implemented? The rest of the game is in fantastic condition but without a functioning golfer that can hit the ball it's a dust magnet.
Since I hadn't received any suggestions I decided to go ahead and take it apart to try to fix it, here's the process that worked for me:
1. Gently take a knife blade along the seam of the golfer's pants. There is glue and some small plastic pins that align and adhere the 2 sections of the pants.
2. Once separated, you will see the plunger attached to a pin, this is attached to the upper torso. Push the plunger upwards so that you can carefully rotate it 90° and remove it from the pin.
3. There is a plastic "C" washer which fastens the upper torso piece to the base (pants) piece. This should slip out easily.
4. Slowly separate the base form the top since there is a torsion spring attached to the base of the pin (which the plunger was attached to) and to a small hole int the plastic base (pants). This is the spring that provided the resistance during the swing as well as the return of the club head.
5. Inside my unit, there was a lot of dirt and grime, so I cleaned it out easily with contractor's solvent (goof-off). There was also a very small pin broken off, which was the "stop" pin used to limit travel during the golfer's swing.
6. I reassembled the components and used 4 small dabs of super glue (where the pins were cut off) to seal the pants back together.
Conclusion: The swing movement was a little easier but still significantly stiffer than a golfer from another copy that I own.
My hypothesis is that the spring has not been used as much and as a result is providing too much resistance...but if this is true then the game would have been impossible to use originally right out of the box. Plus common sense dictates that the tension decreases over time so I'm not sure what to believe...other than the minimal drag of plastic on plastic, the spring is the main resistance of force.
Continued efforts: I am currently clamping the plunger so that it is about 60-70% depressed, thereby putting continual resistance on the spring in an attempt to weaken it. I'll try this for a few days to a week and see if there is any change.