Hide
8 Posts

Galaxy Defenders» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Strategy tips for a beginner rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
AJ Beavor
msg tools
Hello everybody. I just recently got Galaxy Defenders for solo play and I really enjoy it. But man, can this game get brutal. I've played 4 missions so far and only won once. I first played the first mission with one agent and lost, but it was close. I then replayed it with 5 agents and took care of 3 of the objectives, but lost at the very end. With 5 players the game was sometimes spawning 4 signals at a time and my agents got swarmed and murdered. A played the first mission a third time, this time with 3 agents and managed to take care of all the objectives and win the mission. It felt awesome, and I took those same 3 agents into the second mission where I promptly got destroyed, lol. I definitely feel that all of my losses were because of sub par tactics and not that the game was unfair, although it can feel that way sometimes.

So I was wondering if anyone who has experience playing through the campaign solo could give me some tips that they learned during their play through. I didn't see any general strategy threads on here. How many agents do you suggest when playing solo? Are some agents more powerful than others in solo play? And what are some optimal loadouts that you like with your squad? Thanks for any advice you guys can give me. I'm loving this so much!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Erskine
United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can give you a few that I found.

Don't get one person separated form the others. They'll get decimated.

Use terrain. Force the shooters to come to you. Then they spend their time backing up and coming forward so they don't get double attacked. If they move right next to you, they'll spend their entire next turn backing up where they probably can't see you again. I liked to get them to come inside rooms.

Have fun with the game since it's your game and you're playing solo, don't go hardcore on yourself. If someone died, I didn't let them keep any advances they got for the next mission, but I didn't start them over either and I let them get multiple GD advances to catch up with the others. Seems like cheating, but the game is far too punishing to have bronze level guys on the board after about the first 3 missions.

Remember to read the mission briefing because 3 out of 4 in the first mission is at least a partial success.

I still had to play almost every mission at least twice before I won it. I didn't want to move forward with a penalty (again, it's already plenty hard).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Beavor
msg tools
Wow, thanks for the speedy reply. I definitely found that besides the hulk, nobody else should stray from the group. I'm definitely going to use the high-impact and leveling variants to make the game a little easier.
I don't mind playing long games so running all five agents isn't a problem for me, but does that make the game significantly harder? At one point I had all of the aliens on the board during the 5 man play through of the first mission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Erskine
United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, when I played through the whole campaign, I used all 5 as well. It let me take groups of 2 and 3 if I needed to split up. Even Hulk can get overwhelmed, so be careful. Again, if you're in open terrain with no cover and you're closer to the enemy than anyone else, then you're going to take all the attacks. When you get things like a Nexus on the board, you're toast.

Sending Hulk in the first mission to go after the Spawn point to the left while others move up, is fine as long as the others can draw fire. The only way I could get all 4 points in that first scenario is if I took the device that lets you roll an 8 die area attack.

The one that constantly was dying for me was the Infiltrator. If she gets tanked, then she loses her ability to avoid ranged attacks and she goes down fast.

I found that more than any other game I've ever played, where you move might be the most important decision you make with each character. Once I had that firmly implanted in my brain, then I was able to do better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I ended up not liking the "shared GD roll" so much, but I still love my "ranks per mission" variant:

Variant: shared experience

That'll help decrease the pain of losing an agent. Or alternately just start them at a higher level as per already suggested.

If you want to increase your agent's flexibility without affecting the overall difficulty that much, you also might like my Simplified Action Points System.

Variants aside, here are some tips that I generally recommend:

- The sweet spot for the early missions for me was 3 agents, although I ended up playing all 5 for the last few missions. 3 is nice because you spawn about the same number of signals as with 2 agents, but have a lot more options because you have access to three classes.

- Even if you prefer playing with 5 agents, it might be worth playing 3 for the first play-through of any given mission. I lost most of the missions at least once before beating them (only exceptions were a few at the end of my campaign) because knowing what surprises are coming up makes a huge difference. 3 agents will progress the game faster, so if you do lose you won't hurt quite as bad.

- Once you're more experienced you can get away with different teams, but I highly recommend you always have at least these three roles filled when you're starting out:

* Tank (Titanium; or Chromium, but he's not particularly well suited for this role, despite his health)
* Finisher (Iridium or Mercury; Mercury is far more difficult to play well, though)
* Healer (Thorium; the one and only)

The team I stuck with for most of the game, and probably the easiest to figure out how to play well, is Titanium, Iridium, and Thorium.

- Don't give up on any agent until you've leveled them to their first skill. The difference in performance between an agent with their class-based skill and without is huge for every single agent (slightly less pronounced for Thorium and Mercury, but it still makes a difference).

- Play conservatively! kerskine is entirely correct that where you move is probably the most important decision you can make; the difference between a hex in one area, and one hex away in an adjacent area can be the difference between an agent living or dying. Keep your agents near one another so they can support one another easily if things get out of hand.

And here are a few threads that might be generically useful:

* My common mistakes
* Agent order
* Agent Strategy File: Agent Titanium (I'm hoping to post articles for the other agents, too; but my job ate my time alive right after I got this one out)

There's also a lot of good stuff in the General forums; threads with titles that sound like someone griping about the difficulty of the game often tend to end up getting strategy dropped in them somewhere.

Good luck, and welcome to Galaxy Defenders!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kerskine wrote:
The only way I could get all 4 points in that first scenario is if I took the device that lets you roll an 8 die area attack.

Read the abilities of the green Xeno-Alpha carefully. He actually helps you getting that final Waypoint if played cleverly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Beavor
msg tools
Thanks for the tips. I read your strategy guide for titanium, then immediately searched for the other agents. I definitely played him more effectively after reading that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
My tips are always the same:

Utilize the terrain to hide the Agents from the Aliens' LoS. Area Weapons rock! Bring extra Ammo, and Medkits. Concentrate your firepower on as few enemies at a time as possible, in order to eliminate them ASAP, and to avoid all the wounded Aliens activating. Eliminate all Aliens of a specific color whenever possible, to get a rest when that color activates.

You can find the same info at the top of my rules reference, which I created while playing the game, as I made a note of each rule I had a tough time remembering during play.

You may also have use of my Galaxy Defenders Campaign Tracker. It's a Google Sheets which lets you track your progress throughout the campaign, including equipment, levels, skills, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.