3 Posts

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Shadowcat - Excalibur Expansion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
scott jacobsen

Utah
msg tools
So I am working on an Excalibur expansion (see this thread for full description of what I have planned: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1614599/nightcrawler-my-fir...). When it is complete I will compile all the cards into one thread but I wanted to keep them separate during the proof reading and revisions stage so that I don't have to search through a whole thread for comments on a particular card set. Today's Contribution is Shadowcat:

Any Input is appreciated

Her 2 common cards are pretty straight forward. I thought the new phasing ability that will be part of civil war was an obvious fit for her, so I just created basic attack and recruit cards that could buff each other via phasing. They could be tweaked a little I am sure but generally I feel fine about them.

Her uncommon card is similar to a couple different cards that already exist (if you would gain a wound...), I think the concept I am going for here is in a fight when Shadowcat phases out of an enemies attack there is a possibility that the attack (particularly if it were a projectile) could continue on and hit another hero...not the most optimistic outlook but a realistic scenario and a way for me to work in a KO component which can be quite valuable. This card may be overpowered and I thought about tweaking it so that KO-ing a card is not optional, and perhaps going as far as limiting it to the cards in your hand. Also, I am aware that she is in her x-men get up in this card which doesn't make sense for an excalibur expansion...we will get to that later.

Her rare card is the one I am the most excited about and uncertain about. I turned Lockheed into an artifact. Obviously a character is not an artifact, but I liked the idea of Lockheed always being in play (by her side), and as far as I am aware the artifact approach is the only way to do that. I think this is cool unique approach to getting Lockheed in the game. Otherwise he would just have to be a side-kick and personally I think he is cooler than a side kick (and certainly more rare). The part I am unsure about is the ability, is it too powerfull? is it too specific (on;y x-men and excalibur), is it not specific enough (should it buff only shadowcat cards?). I went back and forth ont his for a while and just decided to present it how it is and get some feedback from there. Let me know what you think.

Finally it is devastatingly apparent that Kitty Pryde is more popular than Shadowcat. I can find endless artwork for kitty pryde, but next to nothing for shadowcat. That said I am really happy with the images for the other cards. So if anyone has a lead on artwork of shadowcat phasing through an enemy or and an enemies attack I would love to see it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding wording on the commons, when it says guess the 'skill', do you mean colour/class?

Colour will be easier as could be activated by grey cards early game, but that could easily make these cards over-powered.

Perhaps a better wording would be following Vision:

Choose a Hero class. Reveal the top card of your deck. If that card is the Hero class you named, you get X.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Keeper of the *** Marvel Master Database *** A custom card directory for Marvel Legendary.
badge
Find the Marvel Master Database in the Variants section of the Marvel Legendary Forums.
mbmbmbmbmb
Added to the Marvel Master Database.

Listed under Kitty Pryde.

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.