Deep Space D-6» Forums » Rules

Subject: Does "Friendly Fire" affect unassigned dice? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This may just be me, but I leave assigned dice on the ship board after they have performed their function. (For example, I assign two red tactical dice to kill an external threat. I remove the threat card but leave the dice.) If I have spare dice, like an extra tactical I have no use for, I put it in the "return" section of the infirmary for next round.

When I pulled the "Friendly Fire" card recently, I had two used tactical dice on my ship board and one unused tactical die in the Return space. Since I only made use of the two, those were the ones I sent to the infirmary. I didn't wound the unused tactical die since he technically wasn't involved in the fighting. Was this a mistake? Thematically, it made sense to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Meyer
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I remember the card description correctly, Friendly Fire states that ALL tactical dice rolled must go to the infirmary. So even if he wasn't involved in the fighting, his gun still went off and he shot himself in the foot.

By your method, you could completely bypass Friendly Fire's effects by not assigning any of the tactical dice for a round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
willsdaddy21 wrote:
If I remember the card description correctly, Friendly Fire states that ALL tactical dice rolled must go to the infirmary. So even if he wasn't involved in the fighting, his gun still went off and he shot himself in the foot.

By your method, you could completely bypass Friendly Fire's effects by not assigning any of the tactical dice for a round.

Just to be clear, the overwhelming majority of the time you won't know when Friendly Fire will appear (since it reveals after all crew are assigned and is immediately discarded), so it's not like this is a cheat. I suppose you could game it with the card that lets you look at the upcoming threat cards, but I have yet to use that ability even once.

I don't know how I missed it, but Tony answered another question about this card that strongly implies even unused tactical dice might go to the infirmary:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1464838/friendly-fire

The card actually reads "Immediately send all (Tactical dice symbol) to the Infirmary", not all rolled Tactical dice. The distinction is whether a dice that is rolled but unused is still considered active and affected by cards. Seems unfair and unthematic for punishing you for a dice that didn't even help you that round, but it looks like that may be the proper way to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.