Popular Tags: [View All]
Casey Botkin
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I love these games and am excited for MoM 2.0, but I am disappointed that 3 of the 4 new investigators are male. I've sent the below email to FFG but I thought I would post it here too to see if other people feel the same way.

"Hi,

First of all, thanks for making such entertaining games. However, I do want to voice some feedback around a concern of mine with the Arkham Files line.

Arkham Horror had 48 investigators plus the promo, 22 of which are female and 26 (or 27) of which are male. My hope is that you will release all of these characters eventually, particularly in Eldritch Horror which is my favorite board game of all time.

I noticed in MoM 2.0 that you have created 4 new characters beyond the original 48 (49). Why are three of these characters male and only one female? When there is already a divide why have you chosen to increase the gap? Do you have plans to create more female characters in expansions to address this discrepancy?

Also, as a little bonus feedback: Daisy Walker is the best - please release her in MoM and Elder Sign. =)

Thanks,

Casey"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4 male options, 4 female options. Overall the line is pretty balanced. I see no issue. And certainly don't see enough to warrant complaining to a company that puts females into all their games, and on cover boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
4 male options, 4 female options. Overall the line is pretty balanced. I see no issue. And certainly don't see enough to warrant complaining to a company that puts females into all their games, and on cover boxes.

Though I agree with the logic Seer is putting forth, I applaud the Casey's effort. It doesn't hurt, and FFG should be aware that demand exists (as likely the imbalance relates to marketing demographic impressions more than anything else).

*in before the flame war begins*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martín Borda
Argentina
San Nicolás de los Arroyos
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
San Nicolás AR
badge
Club de Juegos
mbmbmbmbmb
viresium wrote:
Arkham Horror had 48 investigators plus the promo, 22 of which are female and 26 (or 27) of which are male.

Sorry to deviate from your main concern, but which is the promo investigator in Arkham Horror? I can't recall anyone.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elyse S.
United States
Yuba City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As a women I noticed there was only 1 new women.
In the game right now with only 2e selected it's even. And with all 1e stuff selected there is only 1 more male then females.
Fairly balanced.
Perhaps they will make an expansion or 2 that add more female characters.

I ordered Runebound (Third Edition): The Gilded Blade – Adventure Pack simply to add another female to Runebound (Third Edition). Which is annoying I had to do that to get more female options honestly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Texas / Tennessee
flag msg tools
When you gain this card from the deck, gain 2 Clues. ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
From my viewpoint, not an owner of 1e, 2e is as balanced as they can get.

Also, going forward, I expect 2e expansions to include more characters, tiles and creatures from 1e. That's why I didn't buy 1e even as I held a box in my hands 4 days ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If a 50/50 split isn't good enough then I can't help you. It seems there is always one person who isn't happy unless the cast is all female.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob

Tennessee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A gluten-free option would also be nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, some people must live really wonderfull lives and also have much free time on their hands.

That's the only way I can see someone complaining about such a trivial thing.

On a side note, I vote for an all female cast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
artayd2
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Flaviorbs wrote:
Man, some people must live really wonderfull lives and also have much free time on their hands.

That's the only way I can see someone complaining about such a trivial thing.

On a side note, I vote for an all female cast.

My understanding (or lack thereof) was that all the Arkham Files games too place in the 1920's so if anything, there seems to be a higher ratio than thematically appropriate based upon some 20 second googling of job force demographics for the era!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David van Damme
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
In al fairness, of the three male characters, one might be gay and the other transgender.

Seriously, I love games which offer a choice between male and female roles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vincentdante wrote:
If a 50/50 split isn't good enough then I can't help you. It seems there is always one person who isn't happy unless the cast is all female.

I think it is quite obvious that the split is not 50/50. OP cleary stated this in the mail. Reading is hard, I know... Especially since no one asked for an all female cast shake

I personally have thought the same thing and read it already months ago in the EH forums. The gap is slightly in favor of male investigators for a company and a franchise that really goes for equality. Nothing wrong with pointing out this concern. I'm all for it thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidvD wrote:
In al fairness, of the three male characters, one might be gay and the other transgender.

I'm totally painting my Father Mateo figure so that he has stockings and suspenders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Eye
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
H. P. Lovecraft hates SJWs.

Besides, I think FFG in 2016 is very progressive in both terms gender and races in their games. Nothing to complain, really. Our gaming group consists of four man and we choose to play female chracters on a regular basis. Not for the sake of them being female, but for the sake of them being cool characters with useful skills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
viresium wrote:
Hi all,

I love these games and am excited for MoM 2.0, but I am disappointed that 3 of the 4 new investigators are male. I've sent the below email to FFG but I thought I would post it here too to see if other people feel the same way.

"Hi,

First of all, thanks for making such entertaining games. However, I do want to voice some feedback around a concern of mine with the Arkham Files line.

Arkham Horror had 48 investigators plus the promo, 22 of which are female and 26 (or 27) of which are male. My hope is that you will release all of these characters eventually, particularly in Eldritch Horror which is my favorite board game of all time.

I noticed in MoM 2.0 that you have created 4 new characters beyond the original 48 (49). Why are three of these characters male and only one female? When there is already a divide why have you chosen to increase the gap? Do you have plans to create more female characters in expansions to address this discrepancy?

Also, as a little bonus feedback: Daisy Walker is the best - please release her in MoM and Elder Sign. =)

Thanks,

Casey"

Not everything is equal, fair or balanced in life. Indeed it is a chaotic often violent tempest of random occurrences and denizens. The sooner you realize this the sooner you will begin to develop the mental and emotional tools to deal with reality. There won't always be the safety of an authority's arms to which you can run crying into for false assurances that everything will be just the way you want it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
I'm guessing the OP doesn't actually read H.P Lovecraft as there are practically no female characters and when there is she's usually a witch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
High Flying Bird wrote:
I'm guessing the OP doesn't actually read H.P Lovecraft as there are practically no female characters and when there is she's usually a witch.

I think the OP is playing FFG Arkham files games. They DO have female characters, usually in a 50/50 ratio to male characters...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Eye
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Don't even mention black people and asians ... where are the asians in MoM? There's room for an opium-dealer stumbling into the occult. Or a rail road worker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anduin wrote:
vincentdante wrote:

I think it is quite obvious that the split is not 50/50. OP cleary stated this in the mail. Reading is hard, I know... Especially since no one asked for an all female cast shake

I read the OP thanks and I also read the tone of the OP as well, which is why I don't believe a word you are saying. In *this* game it is a 50/50 split of 4 female and 4 male investigators. But nope that's not good enough. Someone is upset that a shocking grand total of *4* more men exists in the arkham files universe over women.

Usually I have nothing against either more men or more women characters in games and will play with whatever has the most interesting skills. But since you decided to act condescendingly towards me, please remind me what women were doing in the 1920's again? Might have to start arguing historical accuracy and thematic Lovecraft story characters for my board games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Eye
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
vincentdante wrote:
Anduin wrote:
vincentdante wrote:

I read the OP thanks and I also read the tone of the OP as well, which is why I don't believe a word you are saying. In *this* game it is a 50/50 split of 4 female and 4 male investigators. But nope that's not good enough. Someone is upset that a shocking grand total of *4* more men exists in the arkham files universe over women.

Usually I have nothing against either more men or more women characters in games and will play with whatever has the most interesting skills. But since you decided to act condescendingly towards me, please remind me what women were doing in the 1920's again? Might have to start arguing historical accuracy and thematic Lovecraft story characters for my board games

Introducing at GenCon 2017: Hookers of Arkham. An all female game in the universe of H. P. Lovecraft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exilfranke wrote:
vincentdante wrote:
Anduin wrote:
vincentdante wrote:

Introducing at GenCon 2017: Hookers of Arkham. An all female game in the universe by H. P. Lovecraft.

But does it have blackjack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
House of Cards
United States
Abingdon
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
No vertically challenged miniatures? The horror of it all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rickard
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anduin wrote:
I think it is quite obvious that the split is not 50/50. OP cleary stated this in the mail.

In the base game their are eight investigators. Four of them are men and four are women. She is concerned that four of the eight characters are new to the Arkham universe and of those four only one is a woman. So I guess it wasn't as clear as you thought.

If you factor in all of the 1E stuff I believe that their are 24 characters and 11 of them are women.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Cox
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
High Flying Bird wrote:

It's almost as though 100 years later we have the power to change a game to make it a better experience for people, in ways that are so gentle and harmless, that logically the only reason to object is if you would prefer those hundred years hadn't happened.

Sindriss wrote:
Not everything is equal, fair or balanced in life. Indeed it is a chaotic often violent tempest of random occurrences and denizens. The sooner you realize this the sooner you will begin to develop the mental and emotional tools to deal with reality. There won't always be the safety of an authority's arms to which you can run crying into for false assurances that everything will be just the way you want it.

Yes. Bow down, accept your lot, and don't you dare even gently mention anything you think could be improved.

vincentdante wrote:

Behind the the well of real feeling is deep and clear.

The array of thin-skinned trump-style vitriol instantly unleashed against OPs like this, is quite revealing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it's a big deal at all. I wouldn't think it was a big deal if it swung the other way either, with there being more women than men. Gender just doesn't really concern me at all, if I'm honest. I just want to see cool characters, whether man, woman or sentient attack helicopter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.