BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Brass was a fun game. Is there a natural step up from this? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
C H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Recently got to crack open Brass and play the game. I found it to be very enjoyable and I do plan on playing it again soon. However I feel like the game may wear out for a couple reasons:

- There is only 1 map. It would be better if there was some sort of randomized setup beyond the card draw which would really help the replay value

- The "tech" aspect of the game could be so much more. I'm thinking a true tech tree with tech abilities and xor development choices would be good.

- I liked the way the 2 commodities in the market worked. I'm thinking it would be good to maybe throw in another one into the market on the second stage of the game.

- It was fun trying to get into the foreign market and tank the prices before other players could get in there.

So anyway I'm wondering if there is a natural step up from this game? Should I be looking at something like arkwright or an 18xx game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
Indonesia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brass is pretty "high up" on the depth chart. 18xx would seem to be an obvious next step. But most of those are a lot longer, and quite a step up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Watkins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play online at Order of the Hammer, there's a French map, which adds some variety. I don't know that the game needs it though; Brass is a top 3 strategy game for me. The map doesn't really make a difference. It's totally dynamic: winning strategies depend entirely on what the other players are doing and the card hand adds just enough randomness that it ups the tension.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Combat Commander, Up Front, Julius Caesar, Fields of Fire! The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
GMT's printing the new design/version of 1846. Recommended. Also, to jump into the 18XX waters, maybe try Poseidon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mombasa or Food Chain Magnate might be interesting to look into. Very much "cult of the new", but strong economic games with some tech tree involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Hedden
United States
Greenville
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was going to recommend Eclipse for the tech.

Not much else comes to mind except 18xx games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
upandawaygames.com
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I would look into
Age of Steam
other Winsome Games
Canal Mania
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Mikael Hansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkwright? Just got a reprint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Shay
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The designer of Brass is working on a Birmingham based similar game and maybe a US map based game.
Arkwright looks like it scratches a similar itch with a few more things going on. I have only finished one turn of the spinning jenny, but I am happy so far.
Brass does not wear out easily. After several years, I just find I am looking at it differently over time and it remains to have the same level of interest and tension.
Not sure 18xx is that similar, though I like what little I have played of those.
Mombasa and Nippon are intricate webs of interaction that I enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.