Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Davis
United States
Missouri City
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just ordered this game. Can't wait to get it. I'm hoping I didn't bite off more than I can chew with this one. It's my first war game of this type. My previous experience is with Twilight Struggle and Thunderbolt Apache Leader. I've been bitten by the bug!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Linneberg
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It will seem daunting, but just punch out the counters and start playing solo to learn the basics. Turns start to go quickly, and you find yourself mostly consulting the rulebook for special situations. I'm really enjoying it so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
POUM
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a great game. Enjoy. You will be fine. Use simple Naval rules in the beginning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Todd
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You realize this game has hexagons and counters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Davis
United States
Missouri City
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
LOL. Yes I do. That's one of the reasons I ordered it. There has to be a first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel S
United States
Bay City
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Enjoy! I have this one on my table right now. Very enjoyable game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Todd
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rdavis01 wrote:
LOL. Yes I do. That's one of the reasons I ordered it. There has to be a first.

Well, not knowing your chewing capacity, it IS a big bite for a first hex-n-counter game. That said, take your time and remember the worst thing that can happen is, you get it wrong. It's not like you only have one shot at getting it right; odds are pretty good we have a few years, at least, before the end of the Earth - plenty of time for you to try again.
Remember - masticate!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
For what it's worth, it was my first hex wargame too after moving from heavy "euros" and block wargames.

I didn't find it difficult to learn, the abstracted nature of strength points compared to other hex games, and all the unit caveats that come with such games, makes it relatively more straightforward. But I still needed my first Vassal campaign with a real opponent to iron out some of my rule misunderstandings/oversights that I had from solo-learning. Solo a bunch, learn by doing, Vassal a game, learn more by doing, and you're set.

Mastering strategy and outwitting your opponent? Well that's an entirely different matter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly recommend doing some background reading. Wargames are a different sort of enjoyment. One of the biggest sources of enjoyment for me is that they are a window to understanding history. There was a recent thread about background reading. Read it. Pick something to read while you push the counters around. Just my suggestion.

Another thing about wargaming: enjoying the learning of the game - the pushing around counters, the rule books on your night stand, etc.

They aren't for everyone, but if you can slow down from a eurogame consumptuon pace, they can be remarkably rewarding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Burden
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to, you could download the rules from GMT's website to get an idea of how the game works. That way when your game arrives you can punch out the pieces and start pushing them around to learn the game. It's a lot quicker, if you look the rule book over ahead of time. Best of luck on your purchase, GMT makes great games. If you have questions check out the forums at BGG and post questions that might come up. There are many people who are willing to help you learn a game if you run into something you don't understand.

turks1966

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Todd
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys, they're little cardboard counters, and a nice big map. They won't eat you. There's nothing to fear. It's basically a history book with movable parts and you can change how it ends.

It's about time you learned to drive a stick - you been putzing about in an automatic far too long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smith
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll have a ball. It took me a while to get the hang of it so be prepared for the learning curve, but it's well worth it. Brilliant game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Davis
United States
Missouri City
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
claudio212 wrote:
I highly recommend doing some background reading. Wargames are a different sort of enjoyment. One of the biggest sources of enjoyment for me is that they are a window to understanding history. There was a recent thread about background reading. Read it. Pick something to read while you push the counters around. Just my suggestion.

I was already on that path. I already printed the updated rules and I had already read the thread about background reading. Thanks for the advice though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.