Malcolm Cameron
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My commandos tried to land in 16.08.

Two of them had to drift south.

Perhaps wishfully, I interpret that to mean "along the coast in the direction you need to sail in order to eventually head south, crossing an all or partial sea hexside".

My opponent (hi Stephen!), perhaps with some justice, interprets it to mean "to an adjacent (but still coastal) hex on the next hex row down the map, even if you cross an all land hexside".

Here is a picture:

Which is right? Do they live or die?

Curtis? John?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
France
Paris
2ème
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always read it as the drift occurring long before landing so that in reality you simply land on the adjacent coastal hex to the south as Stephen puts it. You wouldn't be crossing an all land hex side at all, you've just landed on the beach to the south initially.

I see where you are going with it but I don't think the hex to the left counts as a coastal hex with so little coast in the hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sébastien P.
France
flag msg tools
mb
Hex 16.07 is allowed for ground units and is the closest heading south following the coast line, so that's the one. That's how I played it in my recent game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drift happens before the landing attempt. 16.07 I would consider an all sea hex.
A Drift to the South would put your 2 units in 17.07 and they would have to assault onto the beach during the Combat Phase.

From the rule book:

Note that the Commando(s) attempting to land
by beach assault are still offshore at the end of
their movement phase waiting for their beach
assault resolution during their combat phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Baer
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Cameron,

Hi. I don't recall this particular landing situation in playtesting.

My intent with the rule was a drift (here south)would be to the next hex coastal hex. So, in my view 16.07 with that little piece of land was not intended (I should have included more land or none at all to be clear.) Accordingly, I would land a 16.08 planned landing with a drift south in 17.08.

Sorry about the coastal anomaly on the map, thought I'd fixed all those.

CHB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Cameron
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for clearing that up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kisner
United States
Windsor Heights
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Curtis,

Let me know if you want to issue errata (and how you want it to read), but note in OCS little nubs of land are playable. This is why sometimes we have those prohibited bars along the coast (to show which hexes are intended to be unplayable).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sébastien P.
France
flag msg tools
mb
This is a narrow corridor from Haifa to Beirut with plenty of units.
I think it's important to know if some hexes are not allowed.

Thanks !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B S
msg tools
mbmbmb
Just to clarify units can move onto that nub right? Seems really important for determining how wide an offensive can be up the coast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.