16 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: 4 x Protectorates rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Gardner
msg tools
mb
Anyone else excited to run 4 of these with fearless and the title?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
You Greeks are always children!
badge
Jean Gabin in La Grande Illusion
mbmbmbmbmb
Scum_Ace wrote:

When I first read about the Protectorate Starfighters, I thought to myself, finally a ship built for my playstyle: go right at them and fire at will with little regard for safety or nuance or skill modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking about adding them to my Mindlink trials, possibly using four of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mlvanbie wrote:
I was thinking about adding them to my Mindlink trials, possibly using four of them.

Have we seen the protectorate's dial? I'd be worried about too much red with Mindlink. The idea of one ship stressing out the entire squadron is a bit too much for me.

Edit: I do just fine stressing out the squad all on my own

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thespaceinvader -
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Not yet, but almost certainly it'll get spoiled in the next few days at GenCon. And we've been promised something comparable to the Squint and /fo dial which implies speed 2 greens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
August222 wrote:
Have we seen the protectorate's dial? I'd be worried about too much red with Mindlink. The idea of one ship stressing out the entire squadron is a bit too much for me.

Edit: I do just fine stressing out the squad all on my own

That's definitely important, but with PTL I would need to take greens even more often. If the dial isn't that great, having both boost and barrel roll means that you can still get your range one shots with focus pretty much any time.

I think that PS5 mindlink lists are going to be a new archetype, but they are harder to fly than pretty much anything else. The Protectorate Starfighter helps in almost every respect. Stress-based lists will be terrifying, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We haven't, but the previews suggest it's fast and mostly green/white, like an Interceptor. Can't remember where but I think one of the previews showed it doing a Tallon Roll also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz Burton
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dial out today: http://m.imgur.com/dvkFJhk?r

These are going to be good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manutd03 wrote:

Are those green talon rolls?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz Burton
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
mbmbmbmbmb
August222 wrote:
manutd03 wrote:

Are those green talon rolls?

No, they're red. But all the other 2s are green. That's a nice PS9 ace with PTL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I suspect they melt too easily for this.

They have no natural evade, so not as easy to turtle as an interceptor, even with ptl.

Plus a number of other new cards punish stress - a full roster of ptl aces is going to hate seeing BMST across the table.

Fenn looks good, but I'd want something like Manaroo to help him out defensively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
MILLINGTON
Tennessee
flag msg tools
I don't like how it doesn't have a white 1 forward for a small ship. This is the same as a Tie Fighter. Without a 1 forward, the movement becomes more predictable. I can live without the hard 1's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Need to move 1 forward or 1 bank? That's a boost action. Interceptors move fast, preferably at high PS if they want to get to the right spot.

All interceptor-type ships have this type of dial: hard 1s and no 1 forward, usually without a 1 bank. The special case is that the M3A which has 1 bank instead of 3 hard (and is the only interceptor without boost).

Just think how slow you can move forward by taking L-R-R-L or R-L-L-R moves, perhaps with some barrel rolls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Gardner
msg tools
mb
This ship isnt meant to turtle. It CAN arc dodge but its not meant for this either. It's meant to joust and survive because what can shoot it isnt there anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies and… Read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scum_Ace wrote:

I ordered 4 just because they look cool. We'll see!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bought four, but decided to field three plus Kaa'to so that I could use autothrusters (all mindlinked together). From the sounds of it, someone else was finding them fragile but I was happy with my configuration. (Extra evades at Range 1 and 3, easy access to focus tokens while repositioning and getting target locks.) The Bossk Party Bus went down quickly, but I had trouble with Sabine in the Shadowcaster because I had been given initiative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.