United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Harvester of eyes, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I said the name of the company and, "May I help you?"
A fella with a foreign accent asked for me by name.
I said, "Speaking."

He said, "Thank you!" and hung up.

I checked the caller ID and it is just a 4 digit number followed by "Out of Area."

Anybody heard anything like this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
They found you. Time to move on to your next identity and go back into deep cover.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that doesn't sound good. I wonder if they were confirming your identity to verify who they stole it from...?

(Yes I'm a pessimist, sorry).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny O aka Johnny Soul
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a low paranoia threshold. It's like they are making sure I'm at work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:
Yeah I said the name of the company and, "May I help you?"
A fella with a foreign accent asked for me by name.
I said, "Speaking."

He said, "Thank you!" and hung up.

I checked the caller ID and it is just a 4 digit number followed by "Out of Area."

Anybody heard anything like this?

We're just checking up on you, making sure you are where we think you are.

Seriously, though, I've only seen that sort of thing on TV or in movies when someone was about to get served a subpoena or other court papers.

Although, now that I think about the TV/movie implications, maybe you should check your chest or head for a glowing red dot. Have you angered the Russian mob lately?

Have a nice day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
If you were Matt Damon, Liam Neeson or Tom Cruise, you would immediately dive under your desk as a hail of bullets ripped through the window followed by your belly crawl to the pistol you had carefully duct taped behind the water cooler months ago so you could kick through the back door and escape.

Be glad you're not them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:
"Out of Area."

Fantastic name for a horror/suspense thriller.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny O aka Johnny Soul
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
If you were Matt Damon, Liam Neeson or Tom Cruise, you would immediately dive under your desk as a hail of bullets ripped through the window followed by your belly crawl to the pistol you had carefully duct taped behind the water cooler months ago so you could kick through the back door and escape.

Be glad you're not them.

I just saw the new Jason Bourne movie. What's the title? Jason Bourne: Bourne Free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Phennah
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All is discovered; flee at once!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen
United Kingdom
Burton on trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They now know you are at work and can rob your house with impunity?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to be terribly boring, but did you apply for a loan, rental, or enrollment recently? Could be a verification of employment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have calls from the USA almost daily (which shows up on my call display), and I know that they are just companies who found my business name on some marketing list.
I answer "Hello", instead of my usual "business" greeting, and they are always confused-- "is this not a business?"
"Nope, wrong number" I tell them.

Occasionaly (and more to the point) one of them will ask if I am Kevin Halliday, who is always the name on the marketing call list, and NOT me.
That throws them for a loop, when I say no, as well.

So your call could just be some person confirming your name, so that when a marketing call is made, in the future, then they ask for a real person and you are more likely to accept the call-- or so they think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Howden
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
I believe you have mine...
badge
Bringing you quality product in the face of crushing indifference since 1970.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know what they want, but if you want to get out of there, you have to listen to me and do exactly as I say, when I say it. The cubical across from you is empty. Go there now. Now, hold your arms straight out, spin and sing The Sound of Music. This step is critical!

But seriously, yes that is the kind of call that confirms your ID. Watch your credit cards. We are not very paranoid but years ago took the steps of switching to generic outgoing messages on our voicemail greetings. Never answering the phone to an unknown number. That kind of crap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny O aka Johnny Soul
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an app that notifies me of every bank transaction. That's how I knew my Microsoft Xbox Live account was being hacked as it happened last fall. I did check all my credit card accounts last night. No activities there.

Today I got an email at my work email address from a place I've never of. It states my account has been created and a temporary password has been created. I should log in with the temporary password at the link provided. And a thank you for being a user.

I googled the link name and found it associated with a variety of public and college libraries across the county but at those sites the link name is punctuated slightly differently. The exact spelling apparently leads to a log on page. I don't know whether having a - or not makes a difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:
I googled the link name and found it associated with a variety of public and college libraries across the county but at those sites the link name is punctuated slightly differently. The exact spelling apparently leads to a log on page. I don't know whether having a - or not makes a difference.

You mean like www.boardgamegeek.com vs. www.board-game-geek.com? Absolutely, it makes a difference: try clicking on the latter (for now, safe). You could do a who-is on the different name, but probably it's an attack and going to that site, it will attempt to install malware. At least, it will verify that they have your email right for following attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:
Yes, it does. "college-libraries.com" and "collegelibraries.com" will be different sites, and may be owned by different organizations. Sometimes a company will grab all similar domains to prevent phishers etc. from pretending to be "real" sites, so college-libraries.com may or may not go to the same place as collegelibraries.com.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sklar
Canada
Dollard-des-Ormeaux
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to be on the safe side, I would inform your company's IT department.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
sklar wrote:
Just to be on the safe side, I would inform your company's IT department.

Good idea. I just got phished by a robocaller pretending to be IRS. I give them points for actually knowing how to leave a message on an answering machine. I had a couple calls a while ago that were just the tail of the message. (I use the standard message, which is interminable but discourages spam and gives up no information.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny O aka Johnny Soul
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We are a small company. Seven full time and one part time. So the company president is our IT guy. I told him right away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruiser419 wrote:
Well, that doesn't sound good. I wonder if they were confirming your identity to verify who they stole it from...?

Or so the person on the phone knew where to serve notice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This exact same thing happened to me.

The next day, I woke up in The Village.

(The Patrick McGoohan one, not the M. Night Shyamalan one).

Be seeing you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Delano
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcology wrote:

Be seeing you!

Lucky bastard, after I got the call I ended up in the Happening. Not the Pixies but M. Night Shyamalan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Great Googly Moogly it's
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I used to be addicted to the hokey pokey, but then I turned myself around.
mbmbmb
frunkee wrote:
Arcology wrote:

Be seeing you!

Lucky bastard, after I got the call I ended up in the Happening. Not the Pixies but M. Night Shyamalan.

Lucky! After I got the call I ended up In Heaven. The Pixies one, not the Bible one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.