Subject: TET Situation 1 Hilltop firing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Greenslade
United Kingdom
Chandlers Ford
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Hello, could you please help me with rules interpretation for AH Panzerblitz?
The Target Elevation Table (TET) states that nothing blocks LoS from Hilltops to Clear and Slope terrain.
However, an errata adds Note A to 'Hilltop to Clear', and Note E to 'Hilltop to Slope' entries in the TET.
The notes are in a section entitled "Special notes (to be used in conjunction with TET)". Note E in the rules states that "The ONLY case in which a unit may trace an unobstructed Line-of-Sight through more than ONE Orange (hilltop) hex-side symbol is when both the target and the firing unit are are on hilltops. In all other situations the LOS is obstructed if it must be traced through more than one Orange hex-side.".
That seems to be a pretty general rule, and not specific to particular TET entries of Clear or Slope only.
It also seems intuitively obvious.
Also, Note I of the above table states that all the hexes on the big hill on Board 2 - Hill 132 - are hilltop hexes with Orange hex-sides. It is in fact a large plateau.
Now, in a recent game using Situation 1, the German player placed multiple units, including an 88mm inside a CP on top of the big hill on Board 2 - Hill 132. He believed that the gun would be able to fire on all hexes around the hill and that the Note E mentioned above only applied to slope hexes and nothing else, and that without Note E, nothing blocked the gun in the CP from fing on any other hex.
It seems strange and very unrealistic that a gun inside a fortification, in the middle of a raised plateau, could fire on clear hexes alongside the very same hill.
Could you please tell me how the rules should be interpreted in this case? I know they have to be somewhat abstract, but in this instance, they seem to be totally counter-intuitive if Note E only applies to firing from hilltops to slopes. Surely, it should apply to everything so that, as stated, it is not possible to fire through more than one Orange hex-side except at another hilltop hex?
Sorry for the long post and I hope the above all makes sense!
Many thanks for any help,
Mike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Clinton
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
mikeg5 wrote:
..."The ONLY case in which a unit may trace an unobstructed Line-of-Sight through more than ONE Orange (hilltop) hex-side symbol is when both the target and the firing unit are are on hilltops. In all other situations the LOS is obstructed if it must be traced through more than one Orange hex-side.".

I did not pull out my boards and look at your specific example, but no, a gun in the center of a large, raised plataeu could not see downard at near hexes due to the rule you correctly interp above, with the bold and underline by me to show what IMHO is the key in this dispute.

I think this may have been modified in later games where .... oh... I will not even go there.

GG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

Agreed. It's pretty clearly stated. As soon as a unit is more than one hex beyond the edge of the hill it can no longer see to any elevation other than another hilltop. (Of course, Note G would also be relevant wherever the 88's LOF would be traced through any of the woods or towns on the hilltop.)
This is a critical issue in Situation 1. With a clear view from anywhere on the hilltop the Germans could prevent the Russians from getting close enough to do sufficient damage and wouldn't have much of a chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Greenslade
United Kingdom
Chandlers Ford
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Thanks for your quick and great answers guys. And for confirming what I thought.
And you're right - with the 88mm having total visibility it was pretty impossible for the Russian to get anywhere near close.
All the best,
Mike.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.