Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Hartman
United States
Bishopville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guess it is all personal taste, I actually like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheWaitingDark wrote:

Is this unfinished pre-production stuff we are looking at here or is that supposed to be the final look?

I believe they said it is very close to final. However, as with any project this early, I'm sure if enough people provide constructive criticism then things can be changed.

TheWaitingDark wrote:
Also, why are there no special artworks for the turned hunters on the back of the character sheets? It's the same picture (that doesn't really mesh well with the industrial background anyway) just with a white symbol over it? Really?

There will be. They have said so, they just don't have it yet. They're going to have an illustration of the hunter in his/her turned form.

TheWaitingDark wrote:
I certainly don't want to pee on anyone's parade here, but it all looks a bit lackluster to me as if every penny was spend creating over-sculpted miniatures to please the plastic fetishists, and not enough effort put into general art direction and overall look.

Sad, since I really want to like it more than I currently do.

You mentioned 2 things. Hardly "all" looks lackluster.

I'm definitely one that appreciates well designed cards and graphical design. I agree the card designs may not be high end digital design, however I don't think it's lackluster. They could be improved and some people, including me, have made some suggestions. That's the good thing about KS, you get to say something before it's finalized. And if enough people have the same worries, maybe the company will look into it.

That being said, this has very solid gameplay. A really good combination of theme and mechanics that I think you should look into despite the graphics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree, the graphic design is a bit behind on the times IMO. They would do well to hire someone who specializes in this sort of thing.

I don't know that it will matter that much, though. They have their current crop of backers that seem fine with it, and, I may be wrong, but I don't think retail is going to sell that well with all the holes that'll be in the game due to exclusive content.

It seems like they are aiming to get most of their buyers from this KS. If they're happy with their current backer numbers, I don't know if there's any real incentive to spruce things up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheWaitingDark wrote:
That's the only reason I even bothered to rant about the GUI. It just drags the entire thing down for me.

Voice your opinion! Let them know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
flag msg tools
I kind of get what your saying, for this type of game I usually prefer the cartoony over the top style card/sheet artwork of cmon games. On the other hand the industrial grimey look fits quite well with a modern vampire hunter theme. Would it be cool if Dgg hired an artist from a site like deviantart to accentuate the artwork/theme even more? Sure, but I for one find it good(maybe not great)as it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Huygen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I get your point, it doesn,t bather me a lot, but I get it. I liked the style of these one better: [ImageID=https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/013/244/675/5596a289fbd60b0...]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Onemangang wrote:
I get your point, it doesn,t bather me a lot, but I get it. I liked the style of these one better: [ImageID=https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/013/244/675/5596a289fbd60b0...]

That looks looks too CG to my eyes.

The only piece of art that I like in VH is the cover art:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Rey
msg tools
Unfortunately I have to agree with OP. I even asked about it on KS and it seems they don't want to change it anymore. Which is a pity because this game deserves the best. Right now (IMO!) all cards and tokens look pretty bland and have no theme at all.

I'm still on the fence with this one and to be honest if it's going to stay like that I may drop my pledge. Don't get me wrong - I like the game play, the minis are nice as well but the rest... Just no.

It's all about immersion right? And I'm afraid, in this case, it simply doesn't work.

If you would like to see quite similar game with the artwork and great graphic design of cards which work right with the theme - go and check Endure the Stars. This is how it should be done. You can feel the vibe straight away.

It all up to you Dark Gate Games! I really hope you can make it right!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deena Pilgrim
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also don't like the look of the character's sheet and the cards, I think it's the font that is the problem : all capitals, angles, agressive white. Changing the font for something a little more dark and thematic should be tried.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
flag msg tools
Personally when all is said and done, I think I will appreciate the kind of 90's Resident evil kind of look, atleast its something different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tullis wrote:
Personally when all is said and done, I think I will appreciate the kind of 90's Resident evil kind of look, atleast its something different.

Yes, because different is the measure of excellence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Hartman
United States
Bishopville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geoff wrote:
Tullis wrote:

Yes, because different is the measure of excellence.

You are talking about a personal preference. Not some measured "fact". Some people like it, a few don't. Haven't seen any complaints about it on the KS comments, either way. I would guess most find it acceptable enough.

Either way, it doesn't affect gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Evans
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I'm in agreement with the OP. As a User Interface designer I take more of a note to these sorts of things and the the style of graphics do look dated in my eyes, and I don't think the font choice is the easiest to read.

Oh well, gameplay should be the most important thing to get right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Hartman
United States
Bishopville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure what all you feel is "Inconsistent artwork", though... Not liking the fonts and borders is one thing, that is your preference... But what is inconsistent about it? Just curious, if you don't feel the game is for you, it's not for you...

That being said, they have seen these comments (I inquired to whether any backers didn't like the design) and DGG commented they were aware of this thread/comments and were taking it i to consideration, so who knows...

I personally like it, and most backers seem to be ok with it at the worst, or also like it, but keep an eye out and see what (if anything) changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tracey At DGG
msg tools
mb
Hi everyone,

This is an interesting discussion, it’s always good to get feedback pre-production. With that in mind, we can provide some background information for you, to help clarify...

Quote:
Is this unfinished pre-production stuff we are looking at here or is that supposed to be the final look?

The artwork has not been finalised. There is currently placeholder artwork so backers can get a look at the cards and how the game will play.

Quote:
why are there no special artworks for the turned hunters on the back of the character sheets?

In update #20 when we showed the back of the Hunter ID Cards we specifically said in the caption that there would be Turned Hunter art. The Turned Hunter ID Cards shown in the KS are not final. They were shown with placeholder pictures so backers could get an idea of the Turned Hunter stats and how they would play compared to their Hunter form. The final production cards will have an illustration of the Hunter in his/her turned form.

Quote:
…..I like in VH is the cover art

We’re happy to hear you like the cover art from Soufiane Idrassi. We like it too, and this is the look we’re going for with the game components for production. We want the game components to be consistent and have a unified look. We will have professional illustrators for the final artwork and cards (including Soufiane). It’s important to us that we maintain the immersive & thematic feel to the game that we have built up with the rules system and gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fluid Karma
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the overall look of the game, but want to send my +1 for changing the copy text font on the cards. "Impact" is the wrong choice, it is very unthematic and not that legible because it was designed to be a headline font for newspapers. Hope the final version ends up with something more legible and more thematic.

Edit: just did a quick research, there are tons of fonts I could imagine working better.
Maybe http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/graviton/citadina/ to keep the design reduced, but modern and kind of industrial, or even http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/comicraft/sunrise-till-sunset/ if you want to go all in with thematic fonts (yet more legible than Impact).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to need to agree here. This is a game that I would be very interested in but hate the art work so I'm not interested. Looks like cheesy CGI crap that I can't stand to look at. Very unfortunate. Try hiring some real artists please or figure out how to keep CGI from looking cheesy. Minis look fine - everything else... Well not so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.