Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brain
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it's not LOTR, but I thought some of you would like to see this. It's a co-op LCG by FFG. And personally, I definitely do NOT think our beloved LOTR LCG is dying. There's plenty of space for both games.

Here's the link: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/8/2/enter-th...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Campaign play from day 1. Interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to need to win the lottery so I have the time to play both LoTR and this. I love Arkham Horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rog
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
I'm going to need to win the lottery so I have the time to play both LoTR and this. I love Arkham Horror.

Me too!
My poor wallet! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd gladly play both. Sounds really different from LOTR and not just a re theme as we originally expected.

I like that they stress that this is more RPG-like. It's focused on a single investigator being your characters. Also I noticed only slots for 1 ally in the deck. That's very different than LOTR where armies of allies are quite common. I dig that since it makes the focus about your investigator and their items and abilities. Also I find it interesting that at character creation you are forced to put negative cards in your deck. that adds an interesting dimension to picking your investigator. Also campaign play right out of the box sounds great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deck building seems a little more restrictive too, but only time will tell. I am definitely in for the Core set though. It sounds pretty great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah this sounds amazing. I'm definitely all in for this while of course continuing on with LoTR. It almost sounds more like a boardgame. It says you get 3 actions per turn, and one of them is digging into your deck. Almost makes me wonder if you'll be building a deck anything remotely the size of LoTR, or if it'll be something more akin to the Warhammer Quest card game where most of what you can do is out on the table in front of you. The article really seems to stress that you aren't limited to the cards in your hand. Super intriguing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks very much like Warhammer Quest wearing a pretty, tentacly Cthulhu dress, distributed like an LCG. Also: Two cores for a playset confirmed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincenzo Beretta
Italy
Milan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Cool! My group can't have enough of LOTR LCG, we just finished buying 3 x Core + 1 x all Deluxe + the Ancient Relics Cycle for CoC LCG (because we can't have enough of Cthulhu, too, even if the LCG is dead)... and now this... cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Don't make me exile you.
mbmbmbmbmb
gnurf wrote:

That makes it better than every other LCG core other than Star Wars.

Maybe, just maybe, one of these days they'll make an LCG that you can buy a single core for; but for now two is far better than 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
Maybe, just maybe, one of these days they'll make an LCG that you can buy a single core for; but for now two is far better than 3.

Unless they make a game, where you cannot play multiple copies of the cards, that is pretty unlikely.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
gnurf wrote:

That makes it better than every other LCG core other than Star Wars.

I agree, requiring two cores sucks but not as bad as three. Frankly the amount of waste in that third deck irritates me almost more than the money spent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg Bauer
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Instabuy as soon as Heidelberger brings out the german version of this (and with recent track records of FFG titles hitting german shelves, this should be only a question of "when" and not "if"). My poor wallet. But this will solve my main problem with LOTR:LCG, which is thematic restrictions - I just can't put Steward of Gondor on Celeborn, even though he would really like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim . K
United Kingdom
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm hooked ALREADY !!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
gnurf wrote:
It looks very much like Warhammer Quest wearing a pretty, tentacly Cthulhu dress, distributed like an LCG. Also: Two cores for a playset confirmed.

It looks similar in that there appears to be many decks that compose each quest, there is a campaign mode, each player plays a single character and there is an RPG-like leveling system.

It's dissimilar in the sense that you are only managing four action cards and what ever items you accumulated in Warhammer Quest. There is no player deck. I'd assume combat and action resolution will be very different based on the articles.

I'd be okay if the system is heavily influenced by Warhammer Quest. I loved Warhammer Quest and I was a bit bummed that it isn't receiving the same level of support as other FFG expandable games (We've only gotten two small POD expansions).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, some of FFG's games are a bit too short-lived, particularly GW licensed ones. It's a good thing they didn't also license systems from them, so they always have something to build new games on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phillosmaster wrote:
gnurf wrote:

It looks similar in that there appears to be many decks that compose each quest, there is a campaign mode, each player plays a single character and there is an RPG-like leveling system.

It's dissimilar in the sense that you are only managing four action cards and what ever items you accumulated in Warhammer Quest. There is no player deck. I'd assume combat and action resolution will be very different based on the articles.

I'd be okay if the system is heavily influenced by Warhammer Quest. I loved Warhammer Quest and I was a bit bummed that it isn't receiving the same level of support as other FFG expandable games (We've only gotten two small POD expansions).

I'm kindof the opposite. I love LOTR: LCG, and absolutely hated Warhammer Quest, mostly for the set action cards and no deck. Hopefully this doesn't go that route, but perhaps some sort of hybrid between the two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like you build a traditional player deck like in the other LCGs. Though it did appear that there was a list of actions. That wasn't explained properly. I didn't see any hint of set action cards though like in Warhammer Quest. I think the actions are just tests you perform to check for success on card effects. I expect it's similar to the riddle mechanic in LOTR because there appear to be values at the top of cards in AH. So you probably discard some number of cards and check their value against a threshold maybe... I'd be very interested to see more of a gameplay walkthrough for this game.

Add: Noticed it listed Nate French and Matthew Newman as the designers. I wonder if that means Caleb Grace with be the lone LOTR:LCG guy moving forward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark williams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
When is this available to buy ? Or is it out now, can't seem to find it in UK, Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Late October for Europe at the earliest. 6 weeks print time, another 6 on the boat then however many weeks it takes to distribute.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark williams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
gnurf wrote:
Late October for Europe at the earliest. 6 weeks print time, another 6 on the boat then however many weeks it takes to distribute.

Thanks for that, can't wait

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.