$30.00
Gold Sirius
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
So I finally bought the Kemet base game. After playing years of Cyclades, I've been wanting to play Kemet for a long time.
I've owned the expansion, Ta-Seti, for a few months already because I knew the time to finally get Kemet was getting close, and it was at a price I couldn't pass up on.

Anyway, reading the rules, as it is for Cyclades, I noticed the expansion doesn't add too much complexity. So I thought I might as well play with the expansion right from the start.

However, some people really seem to dislike the new Path board with the priests. The new victory condition, on the other hand, is recommended by most.

What do you guys think?
Should I only start with the base game? Or integrate the expansion right away? And if so, all 5 modules or only a few?

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lind
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the base game only, but chose to use expansion module 4 (new win condition) right away. My gaming group agreed. It changes the end game for the better, in my opinion. Perhaps also the overall strategy for the whole game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Codarin
Italy
Udine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i have base game only too but i guess you should be able to immediately integrate the new pyramid color without problems... i would avoid the 3 other modules for the moment
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't add the black tiles/pyramid or the Ta-Seti modules in for your first couple of games - the new win condition and the module for determining player order you can easily go with from the start.

There is already quite a lot to assimilate on the first play or two as to what all of the red/blue/white tiles let you do so adding another 16 is just going to slow things down. The Ta-Seti gives more choices and there are quite a lot of those in just the base game, so again will slow things down until everyone is familiar with the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gordon
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd try base by itself at least once. If nothing else, it will make you appreciate the alternate victory condition more in your subsequent plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Kenny Dorham || Trompeta Toccata || Whistle Stop || Una Mas
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't add expansions for my first play of any game. If I did, I'd have no real perspective from which to evaluate the worth of the expansions. But that's just me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly I wouldn't add the Path to Ta-Seti at all. It's a needless complication and makes the game drag. Definitely use the alternate endgame rules, the black Pyramid and the new battle cards, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Magno
Argentina
flag msg tools
The new win condition is a must, the rest of the expansion is very lackluster. There is no need to add the black pyramid at once, and personally when i add it, I remove a color. (so there is only 3 per game) otherwise it becomes each player doing their own broken build.
In fact it's been a while since i played with less than 5, because I think it doesnt scale well for that reason, the less players, the more the "straightforward to broken tech tree" the game becomes" I´ve been trying for a while to find a variant to reduce tiles for less than 5 players.
I do not play with less than 5 players since months for that reason alone.

When it comes to the new combat cards and new DI, they are interesting, but i have mixed feelings about them, if you want to add them to add more do it. But they don´t really improve the game in a straightforward game, i guess give it a shoot once you tried the base game, and see if you like them yourself.

The new dawn phase is better than the original, but i recommend just use the variant where players choose where they go in the track based on the VP (go to the variant forum to that). Otherwise yes, its better than original rules (which was unplayable imo)

Finally never use the path, is horrible imo, I don´t recommend it ever. it makes the game longer, even more fiddly and with little gain.
The game becomes a little more agressive, but is not worth the extra fiddleness and time.

What I recommend though is the cyclades tiles to either replace some of the existent ones or just add them, it helps to balance the colors quite a bit, but if you are gonna play with less than 5 players I do not recommend just adding more tiles to the pool.

Polyphemus makes it so that more than one player have incentive to go Blue, which is a problem of blue, Minotaur helps to counteract a little the existence of initiative, I dont hate the tile as much as some people, but some people really hate it, at least you will make them happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel N
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Add the black pyramid right away. The black pyramid gives more strategic choices and it is great with more plyers. I always use it, even with new players. Add the new battle and DI cards if you want too, all the other modules are better when the players are used to the games, the new turn order mechanism is good, but personally I don't like the new win condition and the path to ta-seti at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert baynosa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
on your first play add the new victory condition and nothing else, imo it smooths out the end game.

personally, i like the all of the components of ta seti. imo they have their place in the game, as they are made to improve mechanics, add more strategic options, or cirumvent rules that needed som changes- even not so popular ones like the dawn token.

once you get used to the base system/plus new victory condition, id recommend playing with all the exapnsion's modules ad decide for yourself what works for you after a few plays ( you really need a few to get a feel of the modules imo).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Deever
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes, the expansion is definitely worth it. We added everything except the new turn order and the new victory condition and enjoyed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edu Avalon
Guatemala
flag msg tools
mbmb
Start playing with the base game and use the expansion when you will feel that you already dominate it (3 or 4 games).

The biggest difficulty for new players is to dominate the different tiles and combos. Adding a new pyramid only help in first game to make it more difficult.

Only one time I've bought at the same time base game and expansion (for clash of cultures). We played 3 times the base game and then we add the expansion. With that option we really appreciate what the expansion is adding. (Now we always play with the expansion).

Expansion are done mainly to increase the replayability of a game. If you are not playing the base game, you are loosing this "replayability" sentation!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gold Sirius
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Ahhh, dissenting opinions everywhere!

It seems like no one can agree.

I think we'll play with the base game only first, except for the new victory condition, which we'll add. Eventually, we'll proceed to trying the rest of the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Brown
England
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
No, I'M Spartacus
badge
\m/
mbmbmbmbmb
Waterd wrote:
The new win condition is a must, the rest of the expansion is very lackluster. There is no need to add the black pyramid at once, and personally when i add it, I remove a color. (so there is only 3 per game) otherwise it becomes each player doing their own broken build.

Taking a base colour out of the game feels like it would change the game massively. I like having all 4 colours in the game as it encourages pyramid occupation. If someone is getting a load of powerful tiles in one colour then steal their pyramid and grab a tile or two yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Palfer-Sollier Fabien
France
Montpellier
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The black Pyramid (module 1) and the new win condition (module 4) are essentials.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.