6 Posts

Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Timing of end of game (barricades) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mattias Ingelstam
Sweden
flag msg tools
A question came to mind looking through the rules and the objective cards before my first play through.
Let's say I have an objective requiring me to have 4 barricades at a single non-colony location.
I am at the police station and have built 4 barricades at the end of my turn. However because I occupy that location, one barricade will dissapear during the "add zombies" phase.
Now here is the question. Lets say morale is at 1 and will drop to 0 if zombies are added to the colony. The game says that it will end immediately upon morale reaching 0. So if zombies are first added to the colony, will the game end and I will win, because the barricade at the police station has not yet been destroyed? Who decides which locations gets zombies added first? Any helpful resource regarding the timing of these things?

Thanks in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ess Why
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you are betrayer, then yes, you would win since morale dropped to 0 and the game ends immediately.

Zombies are added to the colony first and then to each location in numerical order. I think Jon Gilmour answered this in a thread somewhere. I'm having trouble finding it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
It's in the FAQ here.

From the FAQ it's clear that zombies get added to the colony first, after which the game will immediately end if morale is 0. In other cases, it's unclear (to me at least) if the order of zombies getting added to non-colony locations matters.

The FAQ says "Add all Zombies at all non-colony locations. (In location order)", which implies that the order of non-colony locations does matter, but then as a separate step after adding those zombies, it says "Check Morale", which to me implies that there's no "Check Morale" step between adding zombies to each non-colony location (because it's listed as a separate step).

In your particular case, this doesn't matter (the game ends first with morale at 0), but it other cases I'm not sure....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really agree with Plaid Hat's decision on this. I'll play it this way, since it's in the official FAQ, but I just wish they had said, "Don't check Morale in the middle of doing something -- finish the entire step and then check Morale. If you're on the Add Zombies step, you have to add all the zombies, even the ones from making noise, before you check to see if the game is over due to Morale being 0."

That just seems like a simpler rule to me. I like simple, elegant rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Lamb

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
I don't really agree with Plaid Hat's decision on this. I'll play it this way, since it's in the official FAQ, but I just wish they had said, "Don't check Morale in the middle of doing something -- finish the entire step and then check Morale. If you're on the Add Zombies step, you have to add all the zombies, even the ones from making noise, before you check to see if the game is over due to Morale being 0.

That just seems like a simpler rule to me. I like simple, elegant rules.

It's just a game.... you can make your own house-rule if you'd really rather play it that way (as long as everyone you're playing with agrees).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
House rules give me hives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.