Subject: Trap rules for random dungeon solo/coop play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andreas W.
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though I didn't play the game yet (still waiting to finish all parts of the game) I had an idea on how to use Traps in solo/coop random dungeons. Today I fleshed it out some more and I think they turned out quite well. So here we go:

Quote:
The first Hero to end his Move action in a new room rolls one die to determine if there are any hidden Traps in that room. If his roll is a 1, 2 or 3 then there are no Traps, if it is a 4 or 5 there is 1 Trap and if it is a 6 then there are even 2 Traps.

When ending a Move action in a room with one or more hidden Traps (so without anyone successfully searching for Traps before) the Hero must roll a die. If the roll is higher than the number of hidden Traps he did not trigger any Trap accidentally. (Optional: Rogues ignore one Trap when counting them for this roll.) If the roll is a failure, he is springing a Trap. Use the table on page 111 to determine what type of Trap was sprung. This Trap is then no longer hidden and of course does not count to the number of hidden Traps anymore.

When the Hero has searched for Traps and the search was successful all Traps are no longer hidden and he can place the number of Traps inside the room. Observe the following rules in that order when placing the Traps:
• empty space Adjacent or Diagonal to any Monster
• space occupied by a Monsters (Monsters will never spring any Traps)
• space occupied by a Hero

If a Trap has been placed on a space occupied by a Hero that Hero will spring the Trap immediately when leaving the space. He can try to disarm the Trap before his Move Action (Optional: or he can try to jump away from the space to avoid that, see rules for Jumping on page 16 in the Rule book).

Feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex bermudez
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
That's actually pretty cool! I like everything about it. It would make a pretty great optional rule. (Since it adds more time and setup to the game turns. I rarely add any new features as default that add to the game time.)

It definitely gives it a better feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas W.
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it will definitely add some game time due to the additional dice rolls and Trap setup. But that's probably still better than missing out on the whole Trap mechanic in random dungeon crawls. And it will make Rogues more useful. ^^

Instead of rolling a die to determine if there are hidden Traps one could also be using an additional set of Trap cards. Or add that information to the dungeon cards but then it would always be predefined and not random at all. Probably easier to balance though.

In the end though the die roll is the easiest to tweak if you want to have more or less Traps in a dungeon. You could even make that different per dungeon theme (which would be working with the dungeon cards as well).

Anyway, I am glad you like it. I am looking forward to give it a go in game. ^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.