19 Posts

A Game of Thrones: The Card Game (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Jump in or wait? Updated! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M E
msg tools
Hello all,

I've seen this card game last week in a game store and was quite interested since I used to play magic a long time ago and have some love for card games in general.

I read a few of the "I'm new and have questions" threads on the boards lately before I start asking questions that have been answered several times, like "how many base sets do I need" etc.

One thing which I'm not to sure about is if it is a good point in time to jump into this game.

As I see it there are at the moment the core set as well as a few expansions out there. If I start now and buy the core sets and a few of the expansions for deck building and all that stuff will I "regret" my purchase in a few month from now as there might be newer cards which are more powerful? Or is the overall balance okay enough to move on with some of the earlier cards for quite a while?

I thank you all for your help and hope to get some thoughts on the topic.

regards,
Xanthis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
Re: Jump in or wait?
In general, FFG is surprisingly good at not introducing too much "powercreep" and keeping the power level stable.
Android: Netrunner went through 4 Deluxe Expansions and had to restrict core box cards for being too powerful and lots of aGoT core box cards are staples and will probably be for quite a while to come.
The business model is different from Magic were cards are intentionally obsoleted and made ineligible all the time to sell more of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

If you ARE going to jump in, then NOW is the time! Don't wait! If you do, it will only become more and more daunting.

I jumped into the 1st edition too late and that was a pain in the butt, trying to figure out what I needed/wanted (after the core), and then buying it all at once. Don't let that happen to you with the 2nd edition!

If you do jump in, the core is well, the core. I can't imagine ever playing this game without owning at least one copy of the core! So the core will never become useless for you. Plus you need the core for all the other game components. So if you're going to jump in, then buy the core. Definitely.

To the rest of your question, that all depends on your activity level...
- Do you intend to compete competitively? If so, then now's REALLY the best time to jump in as it'll be relatively inexpensive to build a competitive library!
- Do you just want to play casually, perhaps with an occasional local store tournament just for fun? If so, then you may have a little homework to do, to decide which of the released chapter packs are ones that you want. The great thing about jumping in now is that you don't have all that much to research. The pool is still very small, so it'll make the job easier now rather than waiting.

And if you are intending to be a casual player, then you just might want to simply buy one, two , or three cores (go see the numerous threads about that subject), and the deluxe expansion packs only. That'll make your purchasing decision a lot easier. (There's been only one released so far). If you're a casual player, just sticking to the deluxe expansions as they come out is a good way to go. You'll grow your card pool with good cards while saving money.

Bottom Line: Jump in NOW.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CD Harris
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RindFisch wrote:
In general, FFG is surprisingly good at not introducing too much "powercreep" and keeping the power level stable.
Android: Netrunner went through 4 Deluxe Expansions and had to restrict core box cards for being too powerful and lots of aGoT core box cards are staples and will probably be for quite a while to come.
The business model is different from Magic were cards are intentionally obsoleted and made ineligible all the time to sell more of them.

Agreed. While FFG does sometimes let broken combos get through as cardpools grow, they're pretty good about sculpting the meta to deal with them.

As AGoT 2.0 stands, there's not a ton to buy right now, so the cost of entry is reasonable. As more cards come out, you'll see more strategies open up and a reduction in variance (as more cards with similar effects come out) rather than major power creep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also agree Power Creep is not an issue in LCGs. That 1 core building block about why they switched to making LCGs instead of CCGs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many cards in the core set are vital to any deck and will likely remain as such indefinitely.

If nothing else, the economy cards will always be a staple in practically any deck.
I doubt we will ever be in a situation where optimal decks don't include cards from at least two core sets.

On the other hand, not every pack in the first cycle is essential. I would say every pack has some good stuff that will find a place, but oftentimes it's only for certain factions.

With the game's young age, it's easy to justify buying every pack. But it's also easy to justify skipping some packs if they don't have anything good to offer your favorite faction.

Some of the good stuff in the packs is still borderline and could become obsolete, but it's not happening any time soon. But I don't think we'll ever see everything in the core become obsolete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M E
msg tools
Thank you all guys!
So I will go for one core set first and move up to adding the other two as soon as possible.

After deciding for a faction just check the decklists of the chapter packs and see what to add right?

What exactly is that deluxe pack thing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
Expansions come in two forms: smaller packs of 60 cards (3 copies of 20 cards each, so no useless stuff) and bigger deluxe expansions, themed around a specific faction.
Those deluxe boxes include about 150 cards (50 different ones, 3 copies each), most of them for the same faction. The released first deluxe box centers on House Stark, for example.
But even those boxes don't raise the power level of the faction, but just add new ways to play them an new viable deck shapes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M E
msg tools
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Lee
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:
If you're a casual player, just sticking to the deluxe expansions as they come out is a good way to go. You'll grow your card pool with good cards while saving money.

I have a question about those chapter packs. Does each chapter pack have cards for each house? If they don't, by the end of a cycle will each house have received an equal number of new cards? I've looked for a file that has a card list of every expansion card, but I haven't found one yet.

I know I'll always just be a "casual" player - maybe an ultra casual player who will never participate in a tournament and will only play with friends three or four times a year. So I own one core set and will not buy a second core set. Partly because of financial restrictions, but I just don't believe I need it. Right now I see the limitation of only having one core set, but it won't be long before there are 30+ chapter packs/deluxe expansions for the game so I'm sure there is enough variety out there for each faction.
My plan for the moment is to skip out on the second core set and get the entire first cycle or however many chapter packs it takes to give each house an equal number of new cards and play that for a while. That may be where I stop.

Anyway, I'd really appreciate an answer because I've searched and haven't found one yet. There are a lot of threads about how a second core set is absolutely needed, but I've read enough of them and refuse to buy the same game twice. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CD Harris
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EmperorJacob wrote:
I have a question about those chapter packs. Does each chapter pack have cards for each house? If they don't, by the end of a cycle will each house have received an equal number of new cards? I've looked for a file that has a card list of every expansion card, but I haven't found one yet.

Every pack has at least one card for each faction (and 1-3 neutrals, usually). Usually a faction or two get(s) more than one or two of the others but they balance out by the end of the cycle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matija
Croatia
flag msg tools
mb
EmperorJacob wrote:

On https://thronesdb.com you can check the "Cards" section, it has a list of all cards from each chapter pack, color coded according to the factions so you can easily find what you're looking for.

Also, it is basically always 2 cards per faction + 4 neutrals in each chapter pack (there was just one exception with the Nights Watch getting 3 cards in one pack).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scantrell 24
msg tools
Welcome! You should read the Community FAQ & Resources thread if you haven't yet. It's designed to answer new player questions.

http://www.cardgamedb.com/forums/index.php?/topic/10210-comm...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amuk wrote:
EmperorJacob wrote:

Every pack has at least one card for each faction (and 1-3 neutrals, usually). Usually a faction or two get(s) more than one or two of the others but they balance out by the end of the cycle.

I think the packs so far have consistently included exactly two cards for each faction, and four neutrals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Lee
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for those links!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz Kozak
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
I think the packs so far have consistently included exactly two cards for each faction, and four neutrals.

With only one exception: No Middle Ground pack has 3 NightWatch cards (1 more that the other factions) and 3 neutrals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M E
msg tools
One more question that came to mind:

Do I need 2 or 3 Cores now that a few chaper packs are available?
I know there are a ton of posts on that topic but holds it still true that 3 is necessary?

thanks everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to use the core versions of the main characters (Tywin Lannister, for instance) it's VERY helpful to have duplicates for protection. So I'd still recommend at least a second core to protect the important cards, and to have enough economy cards (roads) for at least a couple of decks.

In actual play it's been rare that I actually get to play that last duplicate when I have three copies of a card in my deck, but on the other hand I might not have seen #2 as often if I didn't have three.

For the MtG comparison: You can get three AGoT 2e cores (702 cards, only 12 of which will be useless to have copies of) for less than the cost of a booster display for MtG (540 cards), and the deckbuilding options from those AGoT cards are guaranteed to be very solid whether you go mono-faction or banner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mb
gnurf wrote:
In actual play it's been rare that I actually get to play that last duplicate when I have three copies of a card in my deck, but on the other hand I might not have seen #2 as often if I didn't have three.

Exactly.

Get three cores. You won't regret it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.