Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Gill
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for serious enough war games that are easy to learn and to teach. It should be something historical. It has to be for exclusively 2 players. It has to be able to get to the table quickly with a small set up time. Twilight Imperium is not really a war game but it's an example of a game that is too big. The game needs to look pretty (my gaming partner girlfriend demands good quality components and map) and have for example a mounted map board. Besides that is there a good reviewer on youtube who does war games?

An example of a war game I want to get, before anyone mentions it, is Sekigahara.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Russell
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try these GeekLists...

Good First Time Wargames
Wargames (or combat games) playable between 70 minutes and 2 hours . Add more if you know
Top 15 strong wargames for non-wargamers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Napoleon: The Waterloo Campaign, 1815 Fourth Edition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20xja2Ccirg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gill
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it kind of goes without saying but it has to be a game which is in print and easy to get a hold of

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff King
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir '44 was the first thing I thought of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been looking into 1812: The Invasion of Canada and 1775: Rebellion for a similar reason. They're not exclusively 2 player but from what I understand play exactly the same way regardless of player count, you might just be in charge of 2 or 3 factions instead of 1, but no matter as ultimately it's one side against another side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
define 'good quality components'. There are some games with really mint counters, for example, so that isn't as clear as you would like. Polis is another game with great components.

Julius Caesar is as good a game as any to cut your teeth on, or maybe something from the commands and colours series?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hovercraft wrote:
Besides that is there a good reviewer on youtube who does war games?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqjObEZh6BQw2xpgMjPZ7qg

Marco Arnaudo is probably my favorite.
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Band of Brothers: Screaming Eagles second edition is shipping soon. I haven't played it yet, but I backed it on KS for being a supposedly excellent, low-complexity tactical WWII game that plays quickly. It is a budding system. I just read a post saying that with the 3 current releases, they are up to 57 scenarios and they have lots more content planned.

Edit:
Also it is one of the few tactical WWII games that has mounted boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gill
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are Julius Caesar and Sekigahara out of print?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hovercraft wrote:
Are Julius Caesar and Sekigahara out of print?

Sekigahara should see another printing soon. GMT has it on their reprint schedule for September.
http://www.gmtgames.com/p-501-sekigahara-3rd-printing.aspx
http://myemail.constantcontact.com/GMT-Update--July-21--2016...

I don't know too much about Columbia Games, but I was under the impression that their games are always in print. They don't have as great distribution channels and I rarely see their games for less than $60.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gill
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Julius Caesar is out of stock everywhere

I'm already familiar with marcowargamer on youtube and find him very difficult to understand. I'm wondering if there is anyone else. I wish Joe Steadman would do more reviews because he is very clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
These are considered some of the best:

Memoir '44
1775: Rebellion
Battle Cry
1812: The Invasion of Canada
Manoeuvre
Julius Caesar
Quartermaster General
Wings of War: Famous Aces
D-Day Dice

For reviews, I like the HAMTAG guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hovercraft wrote:
Julius Caesar is out of stock everywhere

Don't give up so easily.

Try...

http://www.nobleknight.com/ViewProducts.asp_Q_ProductLineID_...

Try...http://columbiagames.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Id recommend the command and colors series.

Depending upon your historical interest:

C&C ancients
C&c napoleanics
Battle cry
Memoir '44

Set up time is not insignificant however - can easily be 10 mins or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hovercraft wrote:
I'm looking for serious enough war games that are easy to learn and to teach. It should be something historical. It has to be for exclusively 2 players. It has to be able to get to the table quickly with a small set up time. Twilight Imperium is not really a war game but it's an example of a game that is too big. The game needs to look pretty (my gaming partner girlfriend demands good quality components and map) and have for example a mounted map board. Besides that is there a good reviewer on youtube who does war games?

An example of a war game I want to get, before anyone mentions it, is Sekigahara.

Would you consider Magic: The Gathering – Arena of the Planeswalkers a serious war game? It's not real history, but the lore is good. And it's on a massive clearance sale at Target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Westphal
msg tools
mbmb
Heroes of Normandie gets my vote. Beautiful, historical, and while the rulebook can be clunky, it's easy to play once learned. Also very expandable past the initial boxed game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mench
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Professor X wrote:
Id recommend the command and colors series.

Depending upon your historical interest:

C&C ancients
C&c napoleanics
Battle cry
Memoir '44

Set up time is not insignificant however - can easily be 10 mins or so.

I can't second this enough. Although everything else posted here are also fantastic options, the Richard Borg games are really fantastic gateways to wargaming and fantastic games on their own.

My war history passion is WWII so we play Memoir 44 A LOT! We've lived here in Europe for 4 years and my job has taken me to many of these locations. 16 scenarios in the base game alone that bring you from the early morning of DDay through the landings and across France and Belgium. Each scenario starts with a wonderful historical set up that puts you right into the mood.

But maybe your passion is Civil War... Get battle cry. Some people even say that is the better of the two mechanically. Roman battles? Napolian? Even fantasy! The "command and colors" system of cards and dice is just fantastic. (For me... And for many others too.)

My thoughts. -Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have to go along with Memoir '44. Has many expansion and hundreds of scenarios. For something more challenging, try to find a copy of The Russian Campaign, from Avalon Hill, which might be the ultimate classic wargame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent. And Battlelore for fantasy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hovercraft wrote:

Funny, before I finished your post my first thought was Sekigahara.

Julius Caesar is a good 2nd choice, and on Amazon for $65 right now.

I'm not a big fan of Memoir 44 but lots of folks love it (it's too random for my taste, but others disagree).

Maneuver someone mentioned. It's a weird little game and not exactly historical but I'm fond of it.

HoldFast: Russia 1941-1942 is a great simplish wargame (more complex than Memoir 44) but isn't super pretty. (It's a block wargame, though, which always looks a bit better)

A House Divided, 4th edition only $30 on Amazon. It's not pretty but it's a great simple wargame IF you ignore all the optional rules. If you include those it's still fine but maybe a little more fiddly than you would like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fading Glory
Prussia 20

The Napoleonic 20 series is very straightforward and now has nice components. I think it's the best intro to "traditional" hex and counter wargames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prince of Sholai

Edinburg
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sekigahara is getting a reprint very soon. It is a great game, for both experienced and new wargamers, if you are willing to wait for it to release again.

Any game from the Commands & Colors system is a good start as well. The rules are much longer than they need to be, but I have taught a couple of new wargamers how to play Napoleonics (usually called the more complicated C&C game) quite easily. The set up time can be a little long unless you have a great storage system.

I would present Conflict of Heroes from Academy Games as another suggestion (although this breaks your "exclusively 2-player" rule, since several bigger scenarios can be played with multiple players per side). The game looks very nice, and like Band of Brothers above (another good suggestion), it has scenarios that "introduce" you to different elements of the game.

The Napoleonic 20 series from Victory Point Games is also a great start, especially if you get the nicer components in one of the Gold Banner editions. The maps are on something like cardstock, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42
Not "simple" but very clear rules with stepped intro schearios to bump up complexity and extra large counters for that "Euro feel"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Pluntky
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Wir sind das Volk! it's similar too Twilight Struggle but A LOT simpler. Only two player, lot's of replayability Introduces you to he genre and sets you up for heavier games like TS.

EDIT: Also it's in print and usually only about $30.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.