War of the Ring (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: First game tomorrow! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
João Carriço
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello! Tomorrow I am finally playing this beautiful game with a friend and I was thinking if anyone could give good hints and tips! Since it's a long game, there is probably going to occur one or two mistakes I am currently re-watching Ricky Royals amazing playthrough and i will read the rulebook on top of that. Thank you in advance for the input! Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Be sure to have Universal Head's game aid from the file section close at hand as well to help you run the game. Universal Head...ask for him by name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take your time and don't rush through your turns!
Have a blast!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver O'Brien
msg tools
The game is designed to not be "fair" ... keep this in mind and it will save you a lot of headaches when trying to figure out how a particular rule works.

Also, there are strategy guides at Ares that are pretty good at laying out the basics.

That said, my two big pieces of advice are this:

1) Having more dice is a good thing. If you are the Free People it is not a bad idea to have Gandalf Guide, kill the guide with the first corruption you encounter, and then resurrect him as Gandalf the White when able. If you are the Shadow, try to bring in Saruman in the first turn if you have enough muster dice!

2) Make your opponent waste actions. Whoever uses action dice most efficiently will most likely win. So, don't spend three actions sending your army from Minas Tirith out to fight the approaching shadow army... let them come to you. Similarly, if you are the Shadow, watch where the Free Player is mustering troops (once they are at war with a nation or are playing a card) and perhaps choose to attack an easier target. It will be wasted actions where they mustered, and it will take you less actions to defeat a location that has not been reinforced already.

Otherwise, have fun and realize that everyone breaks the game their first time playing it. Play it again and again and soon you will see it as we all do... as a work of boardgame art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Craddock
United States
Grand Prairie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same question a while back and received good advice...

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1311511/what-five-pieces-inf...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Dexter
msg tools
mbmbmb
Since no one else has posted it, I will post the obligatory "play the music track" during the game. It immerses you in the middle earth world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
Well me known for eating cookie when me don't they shout
badge
Look! He try to throw loyal fans a curve!
mbmbmbmbmb
Where's our after action report?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Carriço
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the delayed post, but I'm currently enjoying my vacations and that means "play all games mode" engaged
I had high hopes for this game, but I never thought that I would enjoy it as much as I did.
I played as the Sauron player, and I felt immersed in Tolkien's world in the first 10 seconds after just setting the game up. Every card just made my brain tick, and the strategy of being able to put pressure anywhere on the map, trying to bluff or counter-react to a decision made by the Free People's player is amazing. And, I know that it was my first playthrough but I didn't think that this was a randomized dice fest, there's so much going on. I loved this game so much that it's now a 9,5 for me,and I have a new play session this Monday. With only one play I love it at least as much as Starcraft the boardgame, and it's very likely I will end up loving it more.
Thank you all for your tips and input, it really helped!

Bonus Pic! I own the first edition and the upgrade kit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.