Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
ya gotta bunny/duck it in your head
badge
"I looked at my hands, I understood that one fine day, one fine evening to be precise, they would no longer be hands but some other awful thing." —Jack Kerouac
mbmbmbmbmb
When I got the game and tore it open and laid it out in all its glory I instantaneously wanted to replace the different track-marker chits with something more visually arresting. But what? Red and Blue wooden whatsits? Glass beads?

gulp

I tried that--it just didn't look right.

And then it hit me:

CHESS PIECES

I got a small plastic chess set, in white and black, and I must say, the pieces work perfectly. They look good, they feel right, and, as strange as it may sound, they fit the milieu.

Knights for military ops, pawns for the Space Race, a queen for the turn track, a king for VPs, and, of course, a rook for DefCon status. Or mix-n-match as you will.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Chamberlain
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inspired!

I have just such a chess set and I'll give it a go. It certainly seems apt.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
ya gotta bunny/duck it in your head
badge
"I looked at my hands, I understood that one fine day, one fine evening to be precise, they would no longer be hands but some other awful thing." —Jack Kerouac
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I must admit--I've come to appreciate the Spartan austerity of using just the chits that came with the game. Very pure, that.

On the other hand, the chess layout already has me jonesing for the next level... my trigger finger is itchin' for the red 'n blue spray paint...

Chris

PS. Thanks for the kind word!

UPDATE: Okay--I broke down and got out the spray paint. The VP king, turn queen and DEFCON rook are all 'beaten gunmetal' while the military ops knights and space race pawns are done up all glossy red and blue. It looks incredible--makes the world look like a giant chess board. Very apropos.

UP-UPDATE: I have to admit I went the extra mile on these... I filled them with lead slugs and spackle and fitted each one with a felt bottom. It really wasn't that much work, though--in fact, I made an extra set (identical to mine) for my usual opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.