Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
This isn't the sort of request I would normally ever make in a board game forum (in most cases, I'd post the video myself!). But in this instance, I don't yet own the game, I'm interested in it largely (but not exclusively) for solo play, and the seeming "complexity" of the solo rules have scared me off somewhat.

It might help me--and others--tremendously to see how the solo rules work in practice and be able to watch a good handholding solo "show and tell" rather than try and make sense of it from only the written rulebook. I totally understand the rules for the game itself (reading the rules and watching videos have made that easy), but the solo rules are something else entirely, at least at first blush.

Is anyone planning or willing to post such a video?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is an excellent idea
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moser
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't help with you with a video, but I can share my experience with Automa in case that helps.

I was a bit intimated by the Automa mechanism when I first got my copy of the game, partly based on the number of forum posts seeking clarification of the rules. I spent a few games playing as multiple factions in order to learn the basic rules first. After that, I brought it to my local game group and had a few real multiplayer goes at it.

Finally I decided to bust out the Automa rules and take the plunge, and it turned out to be less complicated that I though it would be. Which is not to say that I didn't get a few things wrong, as can be seen in some of those same forum threads I mentioned earlier. But as always, the kind denizens of BGG cleared up every question I had in mere minutes. And frankly, I could've resolved all of them by simply reading a bit more carefully the first time.

By the end of one or two games, it plays very quickly and logically, and the card-based player aids that cover each movement type are GENIUS. Much better than if you had to flip through pages in a rule book each turn. Best of all, the solo game really does give you much the same game experience as playing against live opponents, and there is a lot of flexibility in terms of scaling the difficulty, so it will grow with you and provide as much of a challenge as you want.

tl;dr: If you've already watched the reviews and read the pros and cons, and the base game looks interesting to you at all, don't hesitate to pick it up, even if it will only be for solo play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schnel wrote:
This isn't the sort of request I would normally ever make in a board game forum (in most cases, I'd post the video myself!). But in this instance, I don't yet own the game, I'm interested in it largely (but not exclusively) for solo play, and the seeming "complexity" of the solo rules have scared me off somewhat.

It might help me--and others--tremendously to see how the solo rules work in practice and be able to watch a good handholding solo "show and tell" rather than try and make sense of it from only the written rulebook. I totally understand the rules for the game itself (reading the rules and watching videos have made that easy), but the solo rules are something else entirely, at least at first blush.

I don't have the resources to post a video, but I will say this:

The solo rules are nowhere near as complex as they might seem. There are 3 basic types of AI move: combat, non-combat and factory/encounter. They each have very simple priorities to follow, and you will only be moving a single AI unit, maximum, each turn. There are some simple tiebreakers and conditions, but that is the basic idea.

Combat moves will pick a "neighbouring" space with an enemy unit, if there is one.

Non-combat moves will pick a space "neighbouring" the most other AI units.

Factory/Encounter moves will pick either the factory or an encounter space, if "neighbouring" an AI unit.

Most of the descriptive text in the rules is to explain "neighbouring" hexes. This is just one of those simple concepts that takes a lot of words to describe. A neighbouring hex is basically a hex underneath or adjacent to an AI unit.

That is essentially it! Hopefully someone will make a video at some point, but until then I recommend that you don't let the rules frighten you off. Once you sit down and actually start a game (using the handy "priority" cards for the AI) you will be flying through the AI turns in no time. I am six solo games in and I don't need to reference the cards/rules anymore at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A more formal video would be excellent, but there is a solo play through:
https://boardgamegeek.com/video/103710/scythe/scythe-solo-mo...

Just note that he made a rules mistake:
https://boardgamegeek.com/video/103768/scythe/scythe-solo-ga...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
reverendunclebastard wrote:
schnel wrote:

I don't have the resources to post a video, but I will say this:

The solo rules are nowhere near as complex as they might seem. There are 3 basic types of AI move: combat, non-combat and factory/encounter. They each have very simple priorities to follow, and you will only be moving a single AI unit, maximum, each turn. There are some simple tiebreakers and conditions, but that is the basic idea.

Combat moves will pick a "neighbouring" space with an enemy unit, if there is one.

Non-combat moves will pick a space "neighbouring" the most other AI units.

Factory/Encounter moves will pick either the factory or an encounter space, if "neighbouring" an AI unit.

Most of the descriptive text in the rules is to explain "neighbouring" hexes. This is just one of those simple concepts that takes a lot of words to describe. A neighbouring hex is basically a hex underneath or adjacent to an AI unit.

That is essentially it! Hopefully someone will make a video at some point, but until then I recommend that you don't let the rules frighten you off. Once you sit down and actually start a game (using the handy "priority" cards for the AI) you will be flying through the AI turns in no time. I am six solo games in and I don't need to reference the cards/rules anymore at all.

It was actually when I got to the neighboring concept of the rules that my eyes started to fog over! The example given is a little difficult to follow, and I quickly realized then that it would be far easier to demonstrate how this works rather than to try and explain it with words.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mfaulk80 wrote:
A more formal video would be excellent, but there is a solo play through:
https://boardgamegeek.com/video/103710/scythe/scythe-solo-mo...

Just note that he made a rules mistake:
https://boardgamegeek.com/video/103768/scythe/scythe-solo-ga...

Thanks Mathue. Yeah, I saw those videos. Not terribly helpful, at least for me. It was an early video that glossed over the rules more than trying to serve as a tutorial, and it had that glaring error that even I recognized right away. So that tended to diminish for me the value of the video from that point on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
dmoser22 wrote:
I can't help with you with a video, but I can share my experience with Automa in case that helps.

I was a bit intimated by the Automa mechanism when I first got my copy of the game, partly based on the number of forum posts seeking clarification of the rules. I spent a few games playing as multiple factions in order to learn the basic rules first. After that, I brought it to my local game group and had a few real multiplayer goes at it.

Finally I decided to bust out the Automa rules and take the plunge, and it turned out to be less complicated that I though it would be. Which is not to say that I didn't get a few things wrong, as can be seen in some of those same forum threads I mentioned earlier. But as always, the kind denizens of BGG cleared up every question I had in mere minutes. And frankly, I could've resolved all of them by simply reading a bit more carefully the first time.

By the end of one or two games, it plays very quickly and logically, and the card-based player aids that cover each movement type are GENIUS. Much better than if you had to flip through pages in a rule book each turn. Best of all, the solo game really does give you much the same game experience as playing against live opponents, and there is a lot of flexibility in terms of scaling the difficulty, so it will grow with you and provide as much of a challenge as you want.

tl;dr: If you've already watched the reviews and read the pros and cons, and the base game looks interesting to you at all, don't hesitate to pick it up, even if it will only be for solo play.

I'm sure I will. In retrospect, I was one of the many people who was sorry I didn't go in on the Kickstarter. I almost did, but...almost wasn't quite close enough. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Renard
France
Saint-Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't help with the request but I think this thread would fit better in the General section

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schnel wrote:

Hmmm... thinking about it. Need to check my spare time.
But honestly, once you read the solo rules you only need the reference cards for each action and consult these when that action shows up. Pretty soon you'll find that you'll refer less and less to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis Siefken
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi Larry, there is a very good german solo play demo of one hour, if you don't understand german, perhaps you can follow what he is doing visually or I could subtitle it for you or make my own video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTd3XFciykY
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan-Phil Andiel
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schnel wrote:

I was going to do such a video - I am just not sure when I find the time to do so, as I first need to fully understand the solo rules. I'll try to get to it not later than Saturday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once my copy arrives (hopefully this week?) I had hoped to do a solo playthrough video. I've played the Automa quite a few times, but only with my Print and Play copy of the game, so I didn't want to use that to make a teaching video.

I'm crossing my fingers I get my game by this weekend so I can get to work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Valenso wrote:
Once my copy arrives (hopefully this week?) I had hoped to do a solo playthrough video. I've played the Automa quite a few times, but only with my Print and Play copy of the game, so I didn't want to use that to make a teaching video.

I'm crossing my fingers I get my game by this weekend so I can get to work.

Yay! It's the neighboring concept that I find really confusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy O
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Excellent idea. Would love to see a solo playthrough series of this from
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
Visit me at www.boxofdelights.net
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
andyo76 wrote:
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Indeed! Who better?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
Never rub another man's rhubarb.
mbmbmbmbmb
Chits & Giggles has done a 4 part playthrough video.

https://youtu.be/k5noo40pZkQ
https://youtu.be/2yK-a3HefYo
https://youtu.be/Zh20u7SjczY
https://youtu.be/0X544AbKYes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
MrMzchf wrote:

Yes, of a multi-player game. We're talking about a 2-player game with an Automa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, according to UPS I won't be getting my copy until Tuesday, so that rules out me putting anything together this weekend.

Provided no one beats me to the punch, I'd like to try doing a tutorial with a run time of less than 15 minutes. I'll be assuming anyone watching the video already has a decent grasp on the core rules, so my focus will be solely on properly running the Automa. I will also play a few turns just to show everything in action.

So yeah. At this time it's looking like I won't be able to start recording until next week. In the meantime, I'll start writing a script to keep the "umm's" and "uhh's" to a minimum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lines42 wrote:
schnel wrote:

Hmmm... thinking about it. Need to check my spare time.
But honestly, once you read the solo rules you only need the reference cards for each action and consult these when that action shows up. Pretty soon you'll find that you'll refer less and less to them.

If I get down on my knees and beg you in German will you then do it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andyo76 wrote:
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

That would be great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andyo76 wrote:
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

RICKAYYYYYYYYY!

Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.