jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this is a bit of a work. I think someone wants to cash in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's OK for a store to insist that people's faces be visible. It might be ideal to find a way to accommodate Muslims or other people whose religion requires covering up -- but one of the deterrents to theft is being seen on camera, so there's an obvious reason to insist that people who enter a store be visible.

tl;dr The "reasonable accommodation" standard doesn't mean that anything goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Mostly made up of spare parts and sarcasm! ... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not descrimination as other people are expected to uncover as well. You would be asked to remove a motorcycle helmet. I have had this happen even when earing a flip top lid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
growlley wrote:
It's not descrimination as other people are expected to uncover as well. You would be asked to remove a motorcycle helmet. I have had this happen even when earing a flip top lid.

While I'm not claiming this situation is inappropriately discriminatory, discrimination isn't determined by solely "everyone has to do it so it's okay".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Mostly made up of spare parts and sarcasm! ... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
mbmbmbmbmb
then what does the word mean in your world?

"treating a person or particular group of people differently, especially in a worse way from the way in which you treat other people, because of their skin colour, sex, sexuality, etc.:"

If you treat EVERYONE the same - it may be stupidity it certainly isn't discrimination or is this another one of those words like racist etc. that has been subtly redefined to suit an agenda?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
growlley wrote:
then what does the word mean in your world?

"treating a person or particular group of people differently, especially in a worse way from the way in which you treat other people, because of their skin colour, sex, sexuality, etc.:"

If you treat EVERYONE the same - it may be stupidity it certainly isn't discrimination or is this another one of those words like rascist etc. that has been subtly redefined to suit an agenda?

Requiring everyone to do something that is terrible offensive to one specific group of people is discriminatory. If a store added to their credit card slip a line above the signature that said "I acknowledge that there is no God but Allah and Mohammed is his prophet" that would be discriminatory to non-Muslims. It doesn't mean it is, or should be, llegal discrimination, but it definitely is discriminatory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not religious discrimination unless she was asked to leave because she's Muslim. I imagine lots of Muslims shop there, with their head and hair covered to various degrees. When you show nothing but your eyes, you've crossed a line over into a public safety issue. The clerk apparently explained that was the issue to this woman.

It's plausible that this was religious discrimination, but it's also plausible that it was genuine concern over public safety and store property.

Put me down in the camp of "It should be up to the property owner whether one concealing one's identity is permissible or not."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I have to say that's my first encounter with a Muslim woman who sounds like a Texas redneck. Not sure what to do with that information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
ejmowrer wrote:
Also, I have to say that's my first encounter with a Muslim woman who sounds like a Texas redneck. Not sure what to do with that information.

They exist. She could well be both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tough one, I can see why this is a problem, but also do we really want to be able to discriminate based upon dress?

I have to err on the side of tough, there are legitimate objections to covered faces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
It's a dollar store, what's she going to steal? Mac & Cheese?
And I'm pretty sure any good thief understands one of the first rules is: Don't stand out.
So is this about thievery, or is this about petty personal politics?

(Unless the whole thing is a work, which might also be true.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
It's a dollar store, what's she going to steal? Mac & Cheese?
And I'm pretty sure any good thief understands one of the first rules is: Don't stand out.
So is this about thievery, or is this about petty personal politics?

(Unless the whole thing is a work, which might also be true.)
It may just be one low level employee going "fuck it that's what rules say and I got balled out last week for "interpreting" them".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Staff
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HA HA FUCK HER! Get out of here, "CO-BRA!!!!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.