Subject: 1st edition stories/scenarios question. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Holt
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
I think it's great that FFG have integrated the 1st edition map tiles, investigators and monsters but what about the stories?
On the app there are only four new stories. Does anyone have any info on that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deckard31 wrote:
I think it's great that FFG have integrated the 1st edition map tiles, investigators and monsters but what about the stories?
On the app there are only four new stories. Does anyone have any info on that?

No, they are not converting the 1E scenarios into 2E variant versions.

They likely never will, but only time will tell (obviously FFG is doing things a little differently this time around).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So...will they be reprinting the 1E maps, investigators, and monsters again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BFL's going down (under)
Australia
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Desferous wrote:

Very doubtful. This is just a bone to the people who've already sunk $200 into the first edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abaddon Wormwood
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Without having any insider knowledge I can safely say No.

Why run two editions of the same IP/product? You cannot expect retailers to stock both. I know if I was to buy off the shelf and was confronted with both editions I would be leaving 1st in the dust without even looking into what's changed.

Of course, this doesn't stop FFG from reimaging 1ed. Investigator and Monsters in booster'esq packs. Maps and tiles I would expect to have a fresh look to marry up the new edition (if there is art style or iconography changes)

Wormwood
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Howe
United States
El Sobrante
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bigfluffylemon wrote:
Desferous wrote:

Very doubtful. This is just a bone to the people who've already sunk $200 into the first edition.

The same was said about Descent 1e when 2e hit...

As Wormwood suggested, based on past experience, it is likely they will show up as boosters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
artybaby wrote:
bigfluffylemon wrote:
Desferous wrote:

As Wormwood suggested, based on past experience, it is likely they will show up as boosters.

I agree why would they not use at least some of the 1e stories. They are already written, all they have to do is port them to the app tweak them a bit, and resell them as in game content. Heck of a lot easier than writing stories from scratch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
shadowsclassic wrote:
artybaby wrote:
bigfluffylemon wrote:
Desferous wrote:

I agree why would they not use at least some of the 1e stories. They are already written, all they have to do is port them to the app tweak them a bit, and resell them as in game content. Heck of a lot easier than writing stories from scratch.

Because lots of people have already played them and so would be less interested. And let's face it, they're not that complex as stories go. It's not that much easier than writing from scratch. Also many of them were rubbish, and most of the good ones are in call of the wild and we don't have the countryside tiles in this edition yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Howe
United States
El Sobrante
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Granted, but my comment was geared more towards the plastic. The conversion kits are a bandaid until they can get new Investigator/monster sets out with the 1e stuff. Fantasy Flight likes money and will not pass on the opportunity to offer the old stuff for those who missed it the first time around, which is a good thing imho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I would honestly like to sell my 1e eventually if 2e ends up being great I would more than willing buy any updated 1e packs if they should release them. Also since I didn't get any of the old expansions I would love to just buy some dark youngs, night gaunts and the Dunwich Horror from Call of the Wild.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
bigfluffylemon wrote:
Desferous wrote:

FFG have already hinted that they will be re-releasing those items, and they almost never give out hints like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
bigfluffylemon wrote:
Desferous wrote:

FFG have already hinted that they will be re-releasing those items, and they almost never give out hints like that.

Agreed with Chris here. Considering the super-secrecy policy they kept on the core set announcement (it totally flew under anyone's radar), having them hinting at future releases for me means it's 100% sure, it's just a question of time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
shadowsclassic wrote:
artybaby wrote:
bigfluffylemon wrote:
Desferous wrote:

Really not that much easier. They would have to be adapted to how the new system, re-balanced, playtested, possibly create multilple alternate maps, write a lot more flavour text, etc. The only thing that they would start off with that they wouldn't have to work on is just the vague concept of the scenario, and that's the part that takes about five minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
Amersham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
shadowsclassic wrote:
artybaby wrote:
bigfluffylemon wrote:
Desferous wrote:

Really not that much easier. They would have to be adapted to how the new system, re-balanced, playtested, possibly create multilple alternate maps, write a lot more flavour text, etc. The only thing that they would start off with that they wouldn't have to work on is just the vague concept of the scenario, and that's the part that takes about five minutes.

I doubt if FFG will port across the first edition scenarios as the market will be limited to those who have not already played them. In addition, some are just not that good.

But, if FFG releases a scenario editor for second edition, I think it is, likely, some very dedicated gamer on BGG will port across some of them. I can well imagine porting across the Laboratory and some of the the Call of the Wild scenarios. Not easy but potentially do-able.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicola Zee wrote:
I doubt if FFG will port across the first edition scenarios as the market will be limited to those who have not already played them. In addition, some are just not that good.

Yes, but how many people have played those as fully coop? And how many have played those with the proper balance? Recreating 1st edition scenarios for 2nd edition should grant quite a different challenge level and adventure. Beware, this clearly doesn't mean "let's make the two scenarios identicale", but it could mean "let's take this scenario, keep the story and the tiles and make it finally work"

Nicola Zee wrote:
But, if FFG releases a scenario editor for second edition, I think it is, likely, some very dedicated gamer on BGG will port across some of them. I can well imagine porting across the Laboratory and some of the the Call of the Wild scenarios. Not easy but potentially do-able.

As said, for these things start a petition, here and on their forum, and once enough names are in the list, mail the link to FFG customer service
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would actually love to see a kind of re-implementation of Classroom Curses. It might actually work well if the app could generate lots of varied scary events to haunt the investigators with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
Amersham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
Nicola Zee wrote:

Yes, but how many people have played those as fully coop? And how many have played those with the proper balance? Recreating 1st edition scenarios for 2nd edition should grant quite a different challenge level and adventure. Beware, this clearly doesn't mean "let's make the two scenarios identicale", but it could mean "let's take this scenario, keep the story and the tiles and make it finally work"

Nicola Zee wrote:

As said, for these things start a petition, here and on their forum, and once enough names are in the list, mail the link to FFG customer service

I agree there would be a market and chances are good I'd probably buy the 1st edition scenarios myself But FFG is a business and with business it often comes down to opportunity cost. While FFG is spending game designer time and app developer time on upgrading 'old' stuff, they could be spending resources on brand new content. I'm fairly certain which of these will gets the fans most excited and most likely to part with hard earned cash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Scarlet Witch wrote:
Nicola Zee wrote:

So they'd be redesigning the scenario to actually make it work and work with the app. And they'd have to use the new tiles, so as not to limit the audience. (The app could use the old tiles instead of you had them). So all that leaves is the story. Are any of the scenarios that strong a story that they're just dying to be re-told?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.