Subject: Heroes and Outlaws Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Gernstetter

Dublin
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the rules it states that outlaws treat the buildings of the player with the heroes character as having 0 income and can't be attacked. However, since outlaws are placed and moved before characters are selected, and all characters are returned to the supply at the end of the turn, I don't see how this ability can work, as no player can have the heroes when outlaws move.

The only thing that I can think of is that the heroes' power lasts until the following turn even though the card is returned and another card selected.

Any insight would be helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jlgern wrote:
In the rules it states that outlaws treat the buildings of the player with the heroes character as having 0 income and can't be attacked. However, since outlaws are placed and moved before characters are selected, and all characters are returned to the supply at the end of the turn, I don't see how this ability can work, as no player can have the heroes when outlaws move.

The only thing that I can think of is that the heroes' power lasts until the following turn even though the card is returned and another card selected.

Any insight would be helpful.

Interesting. Well, at the very least the Heroes protects the player's buildings from being attacked by the outlaws and protects the income of those buildings.

My suggestion would be to adopt a house rule that the outlaws move after role selection but before cowboy placement (ie, between phase 1 and phase 2) instead of at the beginning of the turn just after outlaw placement and before role selection. I think I might do this.

Another option would be to have them move just before the building income step. That would mean they react to new buildings placed and any increases to income (*except* for the player with the heroes character). That would make the outlaws nastier, if you like that -- and would be flavorful, with the outlaws swooping in to rob the building with the most cash...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 6 of the Big Box rules says that Phase 1 of each round begins with "All character cards are placed near the board."

Page 10 says that Phase 4 of each round also has "Character cards are then grouped next to the game board."

Clearly, these statements are redundant.

The original rules for Carson City (which applied also to the expansions that added Outlaws and Heroes, respectively) included only the Phase 1 specification.

Thus, with the original rules, a player who chose the Heroes character in round 1/2/3 would gain the "0 income" benefit when the Outlaws arrive in round 2/3/4.

I suspect that the redundant addition to the Big Box rules of "card grouped by the board" in Phase 4 was made in error (perhaps for emphasis) and failed to consider the impact that this would have on the interaction between Outlaws and Heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice catch! I caught the redundant rule, but didn't think to look for that redundancy (or rather, the lack of it) in the previous edition.

So in the original rules, the heroes character can give you *two* turns of protection. On the first turn, your income is protected from any outlaws camping on your buildings. Then at the beginning of the second turn you are considered to still have the character, so the movement rule kicks in and causes the outlaw to move to an opponent's building (if there is one adjacent). Nice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.