Subject: Paralyzed by too many good options rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying again to add another game to my collection, and as always this is something that I agonize over for hours before making the final decision. Here are the contenders:

Terra Mystica
The known quantity. I play and love this game, so I know it would be a hit. With all of these, I'm looking to invest in a heavier-weight game that won't be played as often as my lighter ones, but still be a really solid entry that will be a valuable addition. Terra Mystica is known, but because I have friends who own it and I'm enticed to try something new, I hesitate from this one.

Scythe
I've heard comparisons between this one and TM, and the cold-war-style dystopia theme appeals to me a whole lot more than Terra Mystica's generic theme. I don't know if there's enough game there without the deluxe bits that everyone is raving about (that are too expensive for my budget), and if something is like Terra Mystica, why not get TM itself anyways?

Merchants & Marauders
I love Xia (don't own, but have played), and I've heard this one described as Xia in the Carribean -- or the better version of Xia. M&M looks great, but may be a luckfest compared to some of the other options on the list.

Tammany Hall
Like the cutthroat style and the theme, is this one lighter-weight than the other ones? This one looks great but might be as difficult to get to the table as the others despite being a little lighter.

I will probably be pairing whatever I end up buying with Quadropolis, as I've been eyeing that as well, so if you wanted to take a look at my collection and make a recommendation for the above options (or something I've left out) that would be great! Thanks y'all

AAJ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played all of the games you've listed.

M&M IS a luckfest. And my only play of it lasted 3 hours. I'd say take a pass on that one.

Tammany Hall is VERY cutthroat. I only played it twice because no one ever wanted to play it. It's quick, for sure, and simple enough. But it's very group dependent. Up to you.

Terra Mystica I've played once. It wasn't a great experience, but I recognize that that is partly due to circumstances and players. I actually want to play it again. But if the generic theme doesn't appeal to you anyways, then...

Scythe is a wonderful game. I've played it consistently every week since I got my KS copy. And don't worry, the most basic retail version of the game still looks fabulous. The only, ONLY thing you won't be getting out of the box are the metal coins (they're cardboard, but the design is identical to the metal ones), and the realistic resource tokens (they're wooden, but they still look like the resources they represent). Everything else is standard. And you could buy metal coins and resources if you really wanted them, they're sold separately.

Quadropolis is a very fun game. I've also played that one a lot since getting it. It has proved consistently popular and scores are typically very close.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
Going to agree with Kevin on Merchants and Marauders. The game is also imbalanced in favor of the merchants, so unless you play with people who aren't afraid to go after each other, it's not as great as its reputation suggests. I would suggest Firefly: The Game if you like Xia.

Terra Mystica is the only other one I've played. Really solid game, but lacks a bit in replay value, IMO. Other than trying out different races, it's essentially the same game every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played M&M twice and unluckily got the same captain. Their special power(?) was to move one of the pirate(?) ships. So, you can sit it on someone in port. But if you move it, it'll take forever to re-position. So, you leave it and ruin a player's game. Everyone else just stays clear so you can't re-position the pirate in a reasonable time.

I've only played TM once. My reaction was meh, but many people in my group love it and play it again and again and again and again. Seriously, I think it's up there with Ticket to Ride and Power Grid.

I played Firefly once or twice. It was okay, but a little tedious mechanically, drawing a card every time you move a space--and you have to move a lot. I suspect that issue could be fixed with a rules hack. I've heard it's better with at least the first expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aaj94 wrote:
Scythe
I've heard comparisons between this one and TM, and the cold-war-style dystopia theme appeals to me a whole lot more than Terra Mystica's generic theme. I don't know if there's enough game there without the deluxe bits that everyone is raving about (that are too expensive for my budget), and if something is like Terra Mystica, why not get TM itself anyways?
Well, I've been looking into Terra Mystica, too, and decided it isn't for me. Too deterministic, too dry, not thematic enough.

Scythe, on the other hand looks great to me. It's more thematic, has a few random elements and seems to be very well-polished and balanced. The only thing looking a bit lackluster to me is the combat system - but at least it has one!

I'm not sure what 'deluxe bits' you're referring to, though. AFAIK, nothing in the 'collector's edition' affects gameplay, i.e. it has a bigger board, more realistic resource tokens and metal coins. Personally, I couldn't care less about that kind of stuff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Daigle
United States
Avondale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played TM and Scythe, I would say that the learning curve of Scythe is a little bit lower. It looks daunting but becomes quite simple after the first turn or two. TM is a great game as well, but I think that the decisions you make in Scythe are so quickly felt and lasting that it is a better game for my taste though I think they will both be around for a while gaining the attention they deserve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Scythe is heavily inspired by Terra Mystica so if you like that chances are you'll like Scythe too. Not sure what you mean by not enough game without the deluxe bits. The amount of game is completely the same. One just has more chrome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigrillo wrote:
Scythe is heavily inspired by Terra Mystica so if you like that chances are you'll like Scythe too. Not sure what you mean by not enough game without the deluxe bits. The amount of game is completely the same. One just has more chrome.

Although this type of thing gets thrown around a lot, aside from different starting 'races' the games have nothing in common.It is pretty baseless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well personally I love Merchants & Marauders, and will be getting Scythe - but then I hate Terra Mystica with a passion, and it's one of the few games I'll sit out and pick my toenails rather than play...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthain wrote:
Tigrillo wrote:

Although this type of thing gets thrown around a lot, aside from different starting 'races' the games have nothing in common.It is pretty baseless.

You're forgetting the action mats that reveal benefits when you uncover spots; the fact that players can't cross rivers and have to develop something in order to do so; it's a static, hex-based board; each game has 8 basic actions you can choose to take.

Also, Jamey has stated how TM has inspired Scythe. To say it's baseless is pretty much calling him a liar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaelen wrote:
I'm not sure what 'deluxe bits' you're referring to, though. AFAIK, nothing in the 'collector's edition' affects gameplay, i.e. it has a bigger board, more realistic resource tokens and metal coins. Personally, I couldn't care less about that kind of stuff!

Yeah, the deluxe stuff does not change gameplay in any way.

It does look amazingly good on the table, though.

While it does not make the game itself better or worse, it does enhance the play experience (at least for me it does).

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotcha. I was mainly thinking of the bigger map, which I've heard several people say is essential. I think I'd be fine with the smaller one, though. I'm not a bits-a-holic.

Scythe looks good, but I don't know if I'll pull the trigger. Might wait for all the hype to settle down first. I don't think I'll be getting Merchants/Marauders, though.

A

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given how much you like 5 tribes, I think Keyflower might be a game you would enjoy.

Terra Mystica is good, but Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar is better.

The Voyages of Marco Polo is one of my most played medium heavy games.

seeing how many of your games are combat oriented (Small World, etc), have you considered Eclipse?

Also Quadropolis = YES!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
Eclipse is not only awesome, but also has a very good iPad version. So if you're at all interested in trying before you buy and have an iPad, that might be a nice middle ground.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sao123 wrote:
seeing how many of your games are combat oriented (Small World, etc), have you considered Eclipse?

This is probably more of a false positive than an actual taste of mine. Small World is good, not great, and though I enjoy Xia and other 3/4X games, I don't think Eclipse quite has the spot in my collection -- I don't think it would get played (my father-in-law loves it, however).

Here's my (updated) contenders (roughly arranged in order of how likely I am to get them):

1Islebound
Pros: looks gorgeous, looks like a better fit for my collection/tastes than Merchants/Marauders, wife would likely try it.
Cons: not out yet, Laukat games can get mixed reviews

2TammanyblankHall
Pros: plays a little quicker than some others, cutthroat in the way Lewis and Clark is, gorgeous artwork.
Cons: wife definitely wouldn't play

3Quadropolis
Pros: Lighter weight, would hit the table more often, readily available. And those acrylic meeples
Cons: Citybuilding theme is kind of lame (I enjoy it, others probably won't), wife has said she's not interested in it.

4CastlesblankofblankBurgundy
Pros: low cost, very highly rated, save money (to buy another game later), recommended by father-in-law
Cons: Feld has been mostly miss with me, dislike point-salad, probably couldn't get wife to try it (themeless)

5Scythe
Pros: nice components, very hyped up, seems to play smoothly and be enjoyable, inspired by Terra Mystica (one of my favorites)
Cons: does it meet the hype, wife wouldn't play, not available currently

6TerrablankMystica
Pros: game I know will be a success, already have played and love, inspired Scythe
Cons: theme is pasted-on, long play-time, might not hit the table very often (I would have a better chance grabbing players with Scythe's theme/art)

7LordsblankofblankWaterdeep
Pros: A classic worker placement, well-regarded, cheaper, looks like a solid game, wife might try it, plays shorter.
Cons: Does it have legs next to Lewis and Clark and Five Tribes (two of my favorite games) -- not sure I need another worker placement.

8MareblankNostrum
Pros: my best bet for a drop-down-dragout long empire-building game. Looks gorgeous, seems to be highly rated. Readily available.
Cons: long playtime, wouldn't get played too much, expensive

What are y'all's thoughts? 8 options, but only one space on my shelf. . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Merchants & Marauders has nothing on Xia in terms of being a luckfest. Xia is great, but it boils down to roll dem bones IN SPAAAAAACE). M&M has a ton of mitigation and is filled to the brim with flavor text and narrative. The combat is very intuitive in its round structure, and there is so much richness to the interlocking mechanisms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
OCD with the Letters in the Right Order!
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
aaj94 wrote:

Buy a bigger shelf!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
M&M was pretty bad imo. I got "stuck" at one point and got landslided through no fault of my own. Also takes forever to play. I'd personally pass on Scythe - fun if a friend has it but I wouldn't buy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aaj94 wrote:
sao123 wrote:

This is probably more of a false positive than an actual taste of mine. Small World is good, not great, and though I enjoy Xia and other 3/4X games, I don't think Eclipse quite has the spot in my collection -- I don't think it would get played (my father-in-law loves it, however).

Here's my (updated) contenders (roughly arranged in order of how likely I am to get them):

1Islebound
Pros: looks gorgeous, looks like a better fit for my collection/tastes than Merchants/Marauders, wife would likely try it.
Cons: not out yet, Laukat games can get mixed reviews

2TammanyblankHall
Pros: plays a little quicker than some others, cutthroat in the way Lewis and Clark is, gorgeous artwork.
Cons: wife definitely wouldn't play

3Quadropolis
Pros: Lighter weight, would hit the table more often, readily available. And those acrylic meeples
Cons: Citybuilding theme is kind of lame (I enjoy it, others probably won't), wife has said she's not interested in it.

4CastlesblankofblankBurgundy
Pros: low cost, very highly rated, save money (to buy another game later), recommended by father-in-law
Cons: Feld has been mostly miss with me, dislike point-salad, probably couldn't get wife to try it (themeless)

5Scythe
Pros: nice components, very hyped up, seems to play smoothly and be enjoyable, inspired by Terra Mystica (one of my favorites)
Cons: does it meet the hype, wife wouldn't play, not available currently

6TerrablankMystica
Pros: game I know will be a success, already have played and love, inspired Scythe
Cons: theme is pasted-on, long play-time, might not hit the table very often (I would have a better chance grabbing players with Scythe's theme/art)

7LordsblankofblankWaterdeep
Pros: A classic worker placement, well-regarded, cheaper, looks like a solid game, wife might try it, plays shorter.
Cons: Does it have legs next to Lewis and Clark and Five Tribes (two of my favorite games) -- not sure I need another worker placement.

8MareblankNostrum
Pros: my best bet for a drop-down-dragout long empire-building game. Looks gorgeous, seems to be highly rated. Readily available.
Cons: long playtime, wouldn't get played too much, expensive

Islebound - have you played Above and Below? This plays like above and below on boats, minus the storybook. Definitely not the deepest of games, there is theme, but just not much game. Also nothing like M&M, if you are looking for a lighter version of M&M, Black Fleet might be an option.

Scythe & Terra Mystica - I don't see much in common between these games... There is no combat in terra mystica, and the real hype over scythe is the deluxe version. (We probably wouldn't even have it, if not for the super deluxe components). We have both and played them back to back in the same night... Terra Mystica is way much more euro feel than scythe, but I actually like its gameplay better than scythe.

Lords of Waterdeep - again a lighter worker placement game, but despite the D&D theme... it really is pasted on. User workers to get dungeoneers, (here, have a mage cube, a warrior cube, and 2 healer cubes) Oh look you have the 5 guys necessary... turn them in and get the reward for this dungeon card. You don't actually do any dungeoneering. Its a fun game, but if theme is your biggest concern... look elsewhere. Have you looked at Dungeon Lords?

Quadropolis is one of my favorite city building games, but if you are looking for something with a little more direct take that, look at dice city, where you can destroy buildings in the other persons city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sao123 wrote:
Islebound - have you played Above and Below? This plays like above and below on boats, minus the storybook. Definitely not the deepest of games, there is theme, but just not much game. Also nothing like M&M, if you are looking for a lighter version of M&M, Black Fleet might be an option.

Scythe & Terra Mystica - I don't see much in common between these games... There is no combat in terra mystica, and the real hype over scythe is the deluxe version. (We probably wouldn't even have it, if not for the super deluxe components). We have both and played them back to back in the same night... Terra Mystica is way much more euro feel than scythe, but I actually like its gameplay better than scythe.

Lords of Waterdeep - again a lighter worker placement game, but despite the D&D theme... it really is pasted on. User workers to get dungeoneers, (here, have a mage cube, a warrior cube, and 2 healer cubes) Oh look you have the 5 guys necessary... turn them in and get the reward for this dungeon card. You don't actually do any dungeoneering. Its a fun game, but if theme is your biggest concern... look elsewhere. Have you looked at Dungeon Lords?

Quadropolis is one of my favorite city building games, but if you are looking for something with a little more direct take that, look at dice city, where you can destroy buildings in the other persons city.

I've never played any Laukat games, so that's part of my hesitation. Black Fleet actually looks really interesting -- cheaper, plays quickly, and seems like a solid game. I'll give it a look!

I read somewhere that the designer pulled ideas from TM when making Scythe -- but I do think that I'm leaning towards buying what I know, if it comes down to these two. Terra Mystica is a really solid game and I know I like it. My concern with both is that they'd be too long to ever hit the table.

Thanks on LoW -- that pretty much eliminates it for me. I already have a good worker placement in Lewis and Clark that I really enjoy, and Five Tribes is in that vein as well. Dungeon Lords doesn't look that interesting to me, although it's a novel idea (flipping the normal dungeon crawl).

Yeah, Quadropolis looks good every time I take a look at it. I have played Dice City, but actually found it too solitaire for my tastes. We were just taking our turns without hardly any interaction at all -- actually, some of the people I was playing with left between turns. I was pursuing a VP strategy (purple buildings) so I was secluded anyways. I don't know, Dice City didn't do it for me.

A

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Concerning Merchants & Marauders being a luck fest:

Actually, there's a lot you can do to mitigate your luck. You learn when and when not to take risks, when you need to gear up, etc. as you learn the game. That said, luck obviously always plays a part where dice are involved, but if you're wise and thoughtful you needn't fear taking to the high seas in search of glory. Don't listen to people who judge it after just one or two plays. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of your short-list, I've only played Scythe and Terra Mystica. Both are great games, but if I could only have one of the two it would be Terra Mystica.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.