1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Firefly: The Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: New Supply Deck back - for my daughter rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've previously posted a bunch of cards I've made for my daughter - mostly Disney and the Octonauts - and plan to revise and clean them all up in the near future. I figure I'm going to put them all in a single deck for her, so...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's pretty cool.

Needless to say, you've got several additional lands to play with there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'll likely just be sticking with the one for now; Tomorrowland or Adventureland would spill off the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stansbury
United States
Jefferson City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
gwek wrote:
I'll likely just be sticking with the one for now; Tomorrowland or Adventureland would spill off the card.

Great idea my kids are always wanting to play I've seen many of your Disney cards and they are great, can't wait to see more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Riley wants me to do Tinkerbell and her Fairy friends. I'm trying to come up with a theme for them, like the princesses have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stansbury
United States
Jefferson City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
Sounds great I remember you talked about the Atlantis crew too. You always do a great job on your cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
She doesn't care about Atlantis, but I may do them for the audience here. Definitely a very Firefly-esque Crew, and the abilities practically write themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I recall the fairies, they are already divided into groups with skills. Would you be swapping the whole game to a fairy theme, and change the skills from "fight", "talk", "tech", to like "talk", "grow", "build"?

If you do the Atlantis crew, you need to have missions that require a bridge so you can have the demo expert make a bridge with explosives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Bocook
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I can only ever hope that my girlfriend doesn't see this thread; I'll find myself up to my eyeballs in Tinkerbelle movies again. It's an adorable idea, though. Perhaps Tomorrowland and Adventureland would fit if you oriented the text vertically?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
motosada wrote:
I can only ever hope that my girlfriend doesn't see this thread; I'll find myself up to my eyeballs in Tinkerbelle movies again. It's an adorable idea, though. Perhaps Tomorrowland and Adventureland would fit if you oriented the text vertically?

... and link sent to girlfriend. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Here are the first two batches of cards. There will be 5 batches total (Jolly Roger, Octonauts, Princesses, Fairies, and Misc), with possibly more added at my daughter's discretion.

These cards introduce a few new keywords. Here are my current thoughts:

PIRATE: Counts as Merc. But if you have a Pirate Captain, they side with you on An Interesting Day.

PRINCESS: Same as Companion. But always Moral.

MAGIC: No idea. Might not even do anything more than look pretty on the card for now. I think it only applies to Elsa and Rapnuzel for now.

Anyway, enjoy some aquatic-themed folks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's to say? Those are pretty darned awesome, and, I think, spot on.

MAGIC could allow you to look at the top card(s) in the Misbehave deck and replace it to the top or bottom of the deck. Cumulative, so if you have 3 MAGIC crew, you could look at 3 cards and return them in any order some to the top, others to the bottom.

Or... once per turn, you could swap the MAGIC keyword with any other keyword. So for example, your MAGIC Princess could be a PIRATE Princess for the turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks! I've tried to make them fun, accurate to the characters, and also potentially useful in the actual game! (Although right now my daughter and I play a simplified version where a lot of this doesn't come into play...)

I thought about your second suggestion -- letting MAGIC sub for any single keyword -- but it might get crazy if you manage to get 2 Crew with MAGIC. Full disclosure: I'm not sure yet if the Fairies will be MAGIC (more on them in a minute) and I may eventually do Gear, some of which might also have MAGIC as a keyword. Oh, and I forgot about Olaf, who will also have MAGIC!

Drawing the top cards might work, any maybe there's a cumulative factor?

Perhaps something like this:

MAGIC: When you have the MAGIC keyword, you may spend an Action to look at the top cards of any deck, up to the number of MAGIC Crew or Gear you have (max three). You may return the in any order to the top or bottom of the deck.

ON FAIRIES: My daughter likes Tinkerbell and her gang so I think there will be something like 7 or 8 Fairies. I think that will require a new profession keyword, similar to LAWMAN. The Fairies may get a little complicated. I think it might look like this:

1) First Fairy does not count against Crew Limit.

2) Fairies may not Carry Gear (some may have a special ability - for example, the Animal Fairy may be able to carry ONLY Fast Horses).

3) All MAY get the MAGIC Keyword. Need to think about that.

4) For some reason, I want to have Niska willing to pay $500 if you turn in a Fairy (like Higgins with Mudders). I don't know, I can totally picture Niska capturing fairies in bird cages and trying to use their magic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
4) For some reason, I want to have Niska willing to pay $500 if you turn in a Fairy (like Higgins with Mudders). I don't know, I can totally picture Niska capturing fairies in bird cages and trying to use their magic.
"You know how this station keeps turning, my friend? Fairy treadmills. Nothing is free in this world."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Hanson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At some point I had some drafts of the My Little Pony Mane 6 written up. I wonder what happened to those...?

Of course, I have neither artistic ability nor access to image editing software, so they never got further than text but they mostly fit the ideas that you are working with here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you find the write-ups, post 'em and I can whip up some cards. I'm sure my daughter would love them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Bocook
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
In the Tinkerbell movies, humans capturing fairies seems to be a point of pride and strength, so that actually makes perfect sense for Niska. Badger also seems the kind of SoB that'd want one. See James from The Pirate Fairy (starring our Mrs. Reynolds in a completely topical kind of way) for an example of this.

I gotta say, some of these crew are phenomenal. I haven't heard of Octonauts before, but holy carp the Crew cards are fantastic. If you put these up on PrinterStudio, definitely balance the cost of some of these guys. Dashi (btw, character is named "Dashi" as his ability involves seaweed, love it!), Kwazii, Peso, and Tweak are all great and can be on my boat anytime.

Make MAGIC use either its own action, or have a item cost associated with it (think "equivalent exchange",) and that should balance it out pretty nicely, kind of like Morale Booster or the cooking abilities you love to put on cards. That way, it'll put a hamper on someone using it during a Fly action or during a sequence of Misbehaves. FAIRY also just innately being MAGIC along with the FAIRY abilities/downsides seems a solid balance. Some nice abilities for them might be +1 to Full Burn range for Vidia, recycle discard-to-use Gear for Bell (and make her a bit pricier, too,) (on a side note, it bugs the hell out of me that they call Tinkerbell "Tinkerbell", being a Tinker named "Bell", but they don't call any of the others by their class, like, it doesn't make any sense for the other Tinkers to refer to each other as their designation, let alone everyone specifically calling this one character her job title. I know, I know, it's dumb, but it still makes me make that McKayla Maroney face,) Rosetta can ignore the Cargo cost for Cooking abilities, Iridessa can work as a flashbang to give you initiative on Showdowns, and Zarina can follow the YoSaffBridge rule because, well, it's funny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Gerald,

I thought of Badger collecting magic, too, but Niska's face glowing as he looms over a cage just stuck with me. Maybe Badger will have a Bounty for Fairies, so there's some interesting competition...

Which of the prices seem out of whack? I may have been a bit looser than I usually am, but I tried to follow my standard guidelines... mostly. If I got sloppy, let me know!

I'll take a look at your Fairy notes (I suspect you may know your Fairy business better than I do!) but what I was thinking right now is something like this:

TINKERBELL: Tech/Talk, Fairy, Mechanic. Some ability similar to Grimey. Or possibly spend a Part to take an Action to Buy 1 Gear that can be Discarded.

PERIWINKLE (Frost Fairy): Tech/Talk. Fairy. May Carry Nav Charts (from what I read, she likes to travel, and maybe I'm misremembering, but I thought a map figured prominently into her story)

FAWN (Animal Talent Fairy): Talk. Fairy. May Carry Fast Horses. Possibly can also use an Action to Buy Fast Horses.

VIDIA (Fast Flying Fairy): Tech. Fairy, Pilot. Increased Range?

ZARINA (Pirate Fairy): Fight. Fairy, Pirate. I love a Saffron in-joke, but I was thinking that she can carry Knives.

ROSETTA (Garden Fairy): Talk. Fairy. FANCY DUDS.

IRIDESSA (Light Fairy): Tech. Mudder. No idea on special ability.

SILVERMIST (Water Fairy). Talk. Hill Folk. No idea on special ability.

As you can see, when I get to the last few, any plan really falls apart! I though having a Mudder and Hill Folk fairy made for some nice synergy for those sub-groups, although I'm not sure that I picked the right ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For the record, yes, this batch will go up on PrinterStudio once I'm done. Possibly as early as next week. I'll post the Princesses tonight if I have time (although I've only done 8 of them... there are a few my daughter apparently doesn't care about).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Bocook
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
If it seems like I know my stuff, it's because the girlfriend keeps the Tinkerbell movies in high Netflix rotation (alongside Pokémon and Voyager,) and my brain apparently loves to hold on to typically useless information. Ha.

Maybe Badger's FAIRY benefit could be using one FAIRY to pay off his Solid bonus?

I felt like Dashi, Kwazii, and Tweak were all underpriced, but after giving them a second look-over, I only feel like Tweak is. His ability can be pretty game-changing, and shouldn't be so inexpensive a character.

Bell spending a Part to retrieve a used piece of Gear sounds perfect, and is appropriately thematic.

I don't think I've seen the movie that Periwinkle is in, but the ability also sounds right.

I think you nailed the Fawn character right from the jump.

Vidia seems like she needs a Fight point more than a Tech point, if only because she's always a jerk; the Jayne of the Crew. haha

Rosetta should definitely have Fancy Duds, but her ability should involve her Talent somehow. Again, either not using a Cargo for Cook skills (like Tunip's) or Nav Cards with the option to give Cargo to a passing ship and remove Disgruntled from your Crew, or perhaps gaining an extra Cargo under certain circumstances (complete a Shipping or Transport job, etc.)

Silvermist seems like the best thing she could do would be to give you a chance to recover Fuel used on a Full Burn. I think there's an Upgrade card that does that, so perhaps her Ability could be similar but a bit weaker since she's Crew? And no Hill Folk. Seems if there were Fairies around Hill Folk, they'd end up in a real bad way.

Iridessa uses light for her Talent, hence my Flashbang idea. Perhaps lets you re-roll a Showdown or roll a second die on Showdown and choose whichever you prefer? She blinds the other party and gives you that upper hand.

Zarina seems appropriate. Maybe 2 Fight?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Trimming out the stuff that doesn't seem to need discussion.

One other thing about Fairies - maybe they should all be Wanted? Sure, they're not bad people, but I feel like the Alliance would also definitely want to get their hands on them!

motosada wrote:
I felt like Dashi, Kwazii, and Tweak were all underpriced, but after giving them a second look-over, I only feel like Tweak is. His ability can be pretty game-changing, and shouldn't be so inexpensive a character.

Funny thing - Tweak is a girl (as is Dashi... and I'm not sure WHAT Tunip is!).

I see what you're saying about Tweak, but isn't the extra cost sort of factored into the need to spend a Part? Maybe it needs to be rewritten to "Before you roll, you may spend a Part..." so you can't gamble with Breakdowns.

motosada wrote:
I don't think I've seen the movie that Periwinkle is in, but the ability also sounds right.

If other folks have other ideas, I'm all for it!

motosada wrote:
I think you nailed the Fawn character right from the jump.

I was originally trying to figure out a way to keep them all thematically related to discardable items (I already had a decent feel for Tinkerbell, Fawn, and Zarina), but it just got too hard!

For Fawn, I also considered a bonus for jobs with the word "Cattle" in the name, but that may be just too silly.

motosada wrote:
Vidia seems like she needs a Fight point more than a Tech point, if only because she's always a jerk; the Jayne of the Crew. haha

Good note. I know very little about her. I've seen some of the movies, but to me, there's Tink, Zarina, and then Other People.

motosada wrote:

Rosetta should definitely have Fancy Duds, but her ability should involve her Talent somehow. Again, either not using a Cargo for Cook skills (like Tunip's) or Nav Cards with the option to give Cargo to a passing ship and remove Disgruntled from your Crew, or perhaps gaining an extra Cargo under certain circumstances (complete a Shipping or Transport job, etc.)

So. what, she spontaneously grows food? What about "When you would spend or Discard a Cargo for a Nav or Misbehave Card, you don't need to." It really just applies to Family Dinner and that one Misbehave, but it's a nice bonus on top of FANCY DUDS.

In a sense, there's sort of a theme with a lot of these characters being "mascots" for the crew instead of direct influencers.

motosada wrote:
Silvermist seems like the best thing she could do would be to give you a chance to recover Fuel used on a Full Burn. I think there's an Upgrade card that does that, so perhaps her Ability could be similar but a bit weaker since she's Crew? And no Hill Folk. Seems if there were Fairies around Hill Folk, they'd end up in a real bad way.

C'mon, Elder Gommen's not a bad guy!

What can you tell me about Silvermist? What does she actually DO? I know she was one of my daughter's favorites, but when she was 3 and we were playing with the figures, they all really just moved around and had pretty hair.

motosada wrote:
Iridessa uses light for her Talent, hence my Flashbang idea. Perhaps lets you re-roll a Showdown or roll a second die on Showdown and choose whichever you prefer? She blinds the other party and gives you that upper hand.

That seems pretty reasonable. Does she do that in the shows, blind people as a distraction?

motosada wrote:
Zarina seems appropriate. Maybe 2 Fight?

I thought about that, but if she's carrying a Knife, changes are she can get some sort of bonus, whether permanent or temporary. She's already a rarity in that she's the only Fairy with ANY Fight (although if we change Vidia...). 2 Fight is pretty hefty; I wasn't sure if someone so wee should merit that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Bocook
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
You make a good point about Tweak, as you either would need to spent lots on Parts or have the Scrappers to gain extra Parts. I think I'd have her cost what Simon costs, since he's the Medic to get, and her Attributes seem comparable. Having to spend the Part before rolling, specifically for Breakdowns, seems pointless since most Breakdowns can be avoided by spending a Part anyway.

Rosetta's Talent is, essentially, plant growth. If I recall correctly, she can accelerate plant growth at an immense rate, almost instantaneously. So "making food" is pretty much the long and short of it.

Silvermist is a water Fairy, so she manipulates water for whatever purposes your typical X-Man would. Fuel was the only in-game thing I could think of. Her personality is pretty... well, she's kinda dumb.

I can't recall Iridessa blinding anyone, but I believe she uses her Talent to turn a telescope into a laser in The Pirate Fairy during the fight at the end.

And speaking of which, I'd say Zarina should totally get 2 Fight, or 1 Fight and a "+Fight when holding a Knife" Ability due to that fight, where she goes toe-to-toe with the pirate Captain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
motosada wrote:
You make a good point about Tweak, as you either would need to spent lots on Parts or have the Scrappers to gain extra Parts. I think I'd have her cost what Simon costs, since he's the Medic to get, and her Attributes seem comparable. Having to spend the Part before rolling, specifically for Breakdowns, seems pointless since most Breakdowns can be avoided by spending a Part anyway.

Simon costs 200, although he also gets a "super-star bonus" for being part of the Firefly Crew. Then again, maybe Tweak should be a super-star.

With respect to Breakdowns, if you have to spend a Part before the roll, it's basically a wash... except for the handful of Breakdowns that require 2 Parts.

In a sense, I saw her ability as similar to Cortland's; a recurring way to potentially circumvent one particular skill roll. If you use her, regardless of how I fine tune it, you better be rolling around the skyi with a LOT of Parts!

motosada wrote:
Rosetta's Talent is, essentially, plant growth. If I recall correctly, she can accelerate plant growth at an immense rate, almost instantaneously. So "making food" is pretty much the long and short of it.

So... Fancy Duds + help on one Nav card and one Misbehave card seems okay?

motosada wrote:
Silvermist is a water Fairy, so she manipulates water for whatever purposes your typical X-Man would. Fuel was the only in-game thing I could think of. Her personality is pretty... well, she's kinda dumb.

Although this might make her significantly more powerful than some of the others, what if she can take Shore Leave on any Planet if you spend a Cargo? You provide the food, she'll provide the beverages...

motosada wrote:
I can't recall Iridessa blinding anyone, but I believe she uses her Talent to turn a telescope into a laser in The Pirate Fairy during the fight at the end.

I'll have to give her a little more thought. I like the idea of using a "side" mechanic (like Showdowns), but if she doesn't really use the ability in the movies, maybe it's a stretch.

On the other hand, I'm probably overthinking it.

motosada wrote:

And speaking of which, I'd say Zarina should totally get 2 Fight, or 1 Fight and a "+Fight when holding a Knife" Ability due to that fight, where she goes toe-to-toe with the pirate Captain.

Sounds good. I'll see what works best when I put the card together.

I started on the "Misc" crew last night (Wreck-It Ralph and Sven are complete, with Olaf, Vanellope, Prince Hans, the Stabbington Brothers, and Flynn Rider to go), so I may not get to the Fairies for a day or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aren't they all Super-Star crew?

Niska and the Fairy Treadmills. That' s now officially how that station runs.

Another possibility for MAGIC... What if it was a 4th skill? And it's a wildcard skill, so it can be whatever you need it to be at the time. So Tink is like 1 Tech, 1 Magic, which means she could be 2 Tech if she needed to be or 1 Tech, 1 Fight, etc...

I agree they shouldn't carry gear, but they're quite wee. Really none of them should count toward the Crew limit. They all could fit quite comfortably in a jar.

You also have the potential to do generic "gun hand" fairies. Like:
Tinker Fairy - +1Tech if there are 3 or more Tinker Fairies on board.

That's give her the chance to have a veritable army of fairies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Bocook
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
gwek wrote:
Simon costs 200, although he also gets a "super-star bonus" for being part of the Firefly Crew. Then again, maybe Tweak should be a super-star.

With respect to Breakdowns, if you have to spend a Part before the roll, it's basically a wash... except for the handful of Breakdowns that require 2 Parts.

In a sense, I saw her ability as similar to Cortland's; a recurring way to potentially circumvent one particular skill roll. If you use her, regardless of how I fine tune it, you better be rolling around the skyi with a LOT of Parts!

I'm not sure what Cortland does, but I assume something similar, in that he uses Parts to help with Skill Checks? Tweak's ability isn't just for those Breakdown checks, and that's where she'd shine, anyway. Misbehaves, boardings, some Salvage Ops would be where Tweak would earn her keep, and that huge amount of versatility is what makes me think she'll be popular. If you have the Ability be to spend the part before you roll, keep her at $200. If you just have it be "Spend to add +3 Tech to a roll," like it is now, make her $300.

gwek wrote:
motosada wrote:

So... Fancy Duds + help on one Nav card and one Misbehave card seems okay?

I seem to recall that a couple of Nav Cards have that same Option, but I could just end up running into them a lot. You could give her, instead, something else along the Scrapper route, with gain an extra Cargo when completing a Legal mission, or along those lines. Something that plays to her Talent.
Looking at The Pirate Fairy again, it looks like that Talent really is instantaneous plant growth. Like, point and BLOOM! Perfect for either not expending Cargo, or gaining extra.

gwek wrote:
motosada wrote:

Although this might make her significantly more powerful than some of the others, what if she can take Shore Leave on any Planet if you spend a Cargo? You provide the food, she'll provide the beverages...

Combine with Rosetta's Skill... haha Free Shore Leave! Good idea, though. Not as strong as recycling Fuel, but not useless.

Ooh. Actually, what if those two, Rosetta and Silvermist, had the Ability "When in a Crew along with [Rosetta/Silvermist], you may use an Action to take Shore Leave for Free on any Planet"? You could even use your last line there for the Ability names; "I'll bring the food..." "...You bring the drinks."

gwek wrote:
motosada wrote:

I'll have to give her a little more thought. I like the idea of using a "side" mechanic (like Showdowns), but if she doesn't really use the ability in the movies, maybe it's a stretch.

On the other hand, I'm probably overthinking it.

Well, it looks like I was a bit wrong; she didn't use her Talent to make laser beams; she used it in conjunction with a few other things to make a light show... but I feel like I was kinda close. She sent light into a diamond, off mirrors, into a water bubble, that made a disco ball effect. A bright flash in the eyes doesn't seem impossible.

Lord, can't believe I went and watched the last twenty minutes of that movie, by choice, just to contribute accurately to this conversation. Guess that's just gonna get me ready for when I have daughters and end up marathoning the new season of Wuz-Wuzzlers or Everybody Loves Hypnotoad, or whatever the hell kids are watching in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.