Subject: What is a wall? A wall segment? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Hoyt

Durango
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm enjoying this game, but fear I am misunderstanding a key concept. The crux of my problem is deciding what a wall (or wall segment) is and when/where I place the damage cubes.

The illustration on page 1 shows two arrows pointing to "walls" at the top of 1/7 and 3/6.

a)Are the walls just the top of those two spaces?

b)Or does the wall include all wall symbols connected in a straight line? For instance, does the wall symbol in 1/7 include all wall symbols along the top edge of the whole first row? And 3/6 would be part of a single wall running from 3/3 to 3/8?

c) Or does a "wall" end when it reaches an intersection, so 3/3 to 3/6 is a single wall, but 3/7 is part of a different wall?

Under Actions (page 4) it says; "You may move through a destroyed Wall (a Wall Segment with two damage markers). That makes me think that a Wall Segment is one space long.

Under Chop (page 4) it says "place a damage marker on a wall segment in your space". This also makes me think that "wall" is just one space long

The next paragraph says "A Wall Segment" with two damage markers is Destroyed. Firefighters (and fire) can pass through a Destroyed Wall segment as if that Wall was not there..." This also makes me think a Wall Segment is the border of a single space, while a "Wall" is a line of such segments.

Assuming that is true, an explosion in a previously undamaged space 5/8 would result in the placement of 3 damage markers (to the top, left and right wall segments) and a fire marker in 6/8 right?

What about doors? Let's assume the explosion occurs in 6/8, with no prior damage and the door closed. I believe the door is destroyed, but do you then place 2 damage markers on the left wall segment that was the door? (I'm a little thrown off by the 2 cubes where the door marker starts). To me that would make sense in that the wall segment with a missing door is just as easy for people and fire to pass through as it would be if the whole wall segment was gone. In effect, wall segments with doors in them are more vulnerable than those without.

I think this is what is meant, but it makes the building much more liable to collapse than my initial understanding which was (b) above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil DeKoning
United States
Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Choice A is correct. "Walls" are just a single segment.

(The symbol left when a door is removed had me a little confused too.) You don't put cubes on it, it's just there to show that that segment of wall is breached. (And the door can't be closed anymore, obviously.)

The justification is that the increased framing around a door and the header over it make that segment of the wall stronger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BozemanPhil wrote:
The justification is that the increased framing around a door and the header over it make that segment of the wall stronger.
Also that once a door is blown out (or open) any future explosions can pass through the doorway rather than spending their force on damaging the wall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Durango
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers. That makes better sense to me now.

And it makes the game harder then when I was thinking a "wall" ran for multiple spaces (harder because while they got destroyed easier and let shockwaves pass easier, there are fewer such "walls" and therefore my buildings rarely collapsed)

And it makes it easier than when I thought I should place 2 cubes on each blown door, in which case the building caved in quickly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.