Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » Rules

Subject: Line of Sight - Attacking a Door (Range Attack) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
SlyFox
msg tools
mb
According to the FAQ:

“When attacking a door, using an ability that a ects a door, or counting spaces to a door, the door is considered to be occupying each empty space with which it shares an edge.”

“The spaces that share an edge with a door are the only spaces that are considered adjacent to that door. When declaring a (melee) attack targeting a door, the attacker must be in one of those spaces. If the attacker has Reach, he must be in or adjacent to one of those spaces.”

In the attached picture, I argued that I can make a ranged attack at the door (red lines). However, my opponent argued that I could not make the shot as the other figure was blocking the line of sight to the door (yellow lines). He argued that I still have to have LOS to the actual door rather than the edge of one of the squares.

Who's interpretation of the rules is the correct one?

What if the was another figure occupying the second square next to the door? Would that figure block LOS to the door?

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
You are correct. You need LOS to an empty space that shares an edge with the door, not the physical door itself.

If there was a figure in the second square, LOS would be blocked for non-massive attackers.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Compare with the rules of large figures where you only target one space of them, not the entire figure.

All attacks need a single target space, even those targeting doors. You can indeed draw your line of sight to the two corners that aren't shared by the door itself as you have shown.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Roberts
Australia
Noble Park
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
You are correct. You need LOS to an empty space that shares an edge with the door, not the physical door itself.

If there was a figure in the second square, LOS would be blocked for non-massive attackers.


Is this true? LOS to the square adjacent to the door is still possible even if figures occupy both spaces in front of the door?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The door only occupies empty spaces that share an edge with it. A space with a figure in it is not empty, thus you cannot shoot the door by targeting that square.

You can ignore yourself when drawing line of sight so you can draw LoS to the door if you are the one in one of the spaces.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Roberts
Australia
Noble Park
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
The door only occupies empty spaces that share an edge with it. A space with a figure in it is not empty, thus you cannot shoot the door by targeting that square.

You can ignore yourself when drawing line of sight so you can draw LoS to the door if you are the one in one of the spaces.


I see now. "...the door is considered to occupy each empty space adjacent to it." I missed the all-important "empty" in that rule.

Thanks.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it gets missed pretty frequently.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Kaczor
Poland
Chorzów
INTL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So in the given example, on the picture what is the distance to the doors? 3 or 4? Also, I am not sure if I understand ... in the picture example we count LoS via pink lines, not yellow ones?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
AkitaInu wrote:
So in the given example, on the picture what is the distance to the doors? 3 or 4? Also, I am not sure if I understand ... in the picture example we count LoS via pink lines, not yellow ones?


The range would be three, and the pink lines are the correct LOS lines to the door. The pink line to the top right corner combined with the yellow to the bottom right corner would also be viable.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The required accuracy is 3. For abilities that count spaces the door occupies the empty spaces that share an edge with the door.

The pink lines if the other space is not empty.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Kaczor
Poland
Chorzów
INTL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But if there would be a figure which would stand on the space to which pink lines are traced then there would be no LoS of course yes?

Thanks for answer
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
AkitaInu wrote:
But if there would be a figure which would stand on the space to which pink lines are traced then there would be no LoS of course yes?

Thanks for answer


Correct.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Kaczor
Poland
Chorzów
INTL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
AkitaInu wrote:
But if there would be a figure which would stand on the space to which pink lines are traced then there would be no LoS of course yes?

Thanks for answer


Correct.


Thank you very much Sir
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.