P. Oka
United States
Fort Mitchell
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know if the basic Lesson cards come in the boosters? I've considered starting this game, but my FLGS only carries boosters. The boosters are cheap, so I can afford to buy a lot, but how many do you think I'd need to buy to get two sets of Lesson cards? I suppose I could always do the resources ala Duel Masters and VS system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teddy C
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. You receive 2 lessons in every booster. There are Care of Magical Creatures, Charms, Quidditch, Potions, and Transfiguration lessons. Most decks don't use all 5 lesson types. You should be able to find all 5 lessons in boosters from the Quidditch Cup expansion on (only the base set does not have Quidditch lessons). I would say (assuming you have at least one character card already) you should be able to get enough lessons in 15-20 boosters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't a deck 60 cards? And you'd typically have 24 or so lessons in a deck? 5 colours, say you want 24 of each to make a variety of decks, that's 60 boosters. Am I misguided here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Nichols
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Friendless wrote:
Isn't a deck 60 cards? And you'd typically have 24 or so lessons in a deck? 5 colours, say you want 24 of each to make a variety of decks, that's 60 boosters. Am I misguided here?

I'd look to buy a starter box online if I were you. Boosters are fine and good but you'll get a lot more lesson cards (maybe 30-40) in a single starter box which has 82 cards total (two premium character cards included). You can get them fairly cheap from ebay as they run maybe $7-12 plus shipping. I'd go for a Diagon Alley or Chamber of Secrets starter over the base game starter if you are choosing only one.

See starter box contents here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/122675

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shellie Rose
United States
Vernon
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We got one starter deck (whick is actually 2 decks) and two boxes of boosters. It gave us enough to make four good decks.

We got our's from:

http://www.wholesalegaming.com/harrypotter/

$6 a box for boosters. $3 for a starter deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shellie Rose
United States
Vernon
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Friendless wrote:

I think you are right on the money. As I said in my previous post, we got one starter deck (82 cards) and 48 boosters and were able to make four good decks. We would need about another 12 boosters to make a fifth deck, because we ran out of Care of Magical Creature Lessons (I think we had about 40 total) and the better spells and creatures.

Obviously, since it is a 2-player game, you could own fewer cards, and just re-build 2-decks each time you play, but it is a pain in the neck. We have a partial fith deck, and swipe cards from a deck that is not being used to play it, but it's a bit of a drag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Ramstad
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted this in another thread, thought I'd recap here. As noted in earlier comments, the base set does NOT include Quidditch lessons. All later expansions do.

I ended up placing an order with Hill's and after some analysis and help from folks here, ended up purchasing 72 booster packs of the base set (they sell them 24 packs for $6 i.e. $18) and 36 booster packs of Quidditch ($8) and topped it off with one Chamber of Secrets Twin Trouble Theme Starter Deck ($4) as the deck contains 27 Quidditch lessons, and I figured that would round out the five lesson types.

If I had purchased other expansions, I probably would have been OK in terms of lesson cards, but I haven't been able to find any of the other three expansions at reasonable prices (less than $20 or so for a booster box) so figured the starter deck would be money well spent as it makes up for the lack of Quidditch lessons in the 72 boosters of the base set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.