Hide
5 Posts

Evolution: The Beginning» Forums » General

Subject: Play with regular copy of Evolution? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Shelton
msg tools
So I don't own Evolution nor have I played. Im interested in wither picking this up or the standard game. I was wondering is there a way to play this version of the game with the standard game or no? This one would probably appeal more to the people I play with, but if it's possible to maybe play this way with the standard game, I'll opt for that instead.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
czs716 wrote:
So I don't own Evolution nor have I played. Im interested in wither picking this up or the standard game. I was wondering is there a way to play this version of the game with the standard game or no? This one would probably appeal more to the people I play with, but if it's possible to maybe play this way with the standard game, I'll opt for that instead.

Thanks

I don't think you quite can - there's a different distribution of traits. For example, there's a Flight trait that's simply "carnivore can't attack unless it also has Flight." I don't think that's in the base game and IIRC the Flight expansion works a little differently than just that also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Currie
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Look, honey, he thinks there's honey in there!
badge
We can't all be Zheleznogorsk.
mbmbmbmbmb
aldaryn wrote:
czs716 wrote:

Thanks

I don't think you quite can - there's a different distribution of traits. For example, there's a Flight trait that's simply "carnivore can't attack unless it also has Flight." I don't think that's in the base game and IIRC the Flight expansion works a little differently than just that also.

I think there may be a different count of each of the Trait cards as well. It's conceivable that you could Swede a version of The Beginning with a Core set, but you'd have to explain how each trait is different (or maybe make a hand reference), and then explain how the back of the cards are population and so on. You may also get by with paring down the deck to the Beginning traits and telling players to ignore the Body Size track. I think you might be able to do that and get by.

However, Beginning is a 'introductory' game, and if your goal is to pique interest in playing the big game, launching into an explanation of the proxified Sweded setup may defeat the purpose.

It's not a huge incentive, but Beginning comes with some exclusive alt-art cards for the Base game's Warning Call trait.

If you don't own any of the games in the system yet, I don't think it's a wrong move to pick up the $25 Evolution: The Beginning. It's easier to get to the table, casual players will take to it better, and you get to 'try before you buy' into the full system (and its [awesome] expansions).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would not recommend trying to create The Beginning with Evolution. It would be extremely confusing for players.

Half the point of The Beginning is to create an intuitive good experience for people. Trying to remember what all of the cards are supposed to do would be frustrating if the text on the card were incorrect. Furthermore, the Flight art comes from the Flight expansion and isn't a card that can be shuffled: it's a cardboard component.

My recommendation is the get The Beginning. It's a fantastic game with significant depth and lot's of replay value. If you and your group get tired of it, then moving on to Evolution will not be a very big leap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shelton
msg tools
Thanks for all the replies. I just went ahead and grabbed a copy since they had 10% off in addition to my Redcard discount.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.