6 Posts

Star Trek Panic» Forums » Rules

Subject: Chekov Ability Clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
We've done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
badge
Ten percent of nothing is, let me do the math here, nothing into nothing, carry the nothin'...
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Chekov's ability (+1 damage to 1 target attacked with a phaser card) apply to each phaser card he plays or is this a once per turn ability? We've seen it played both ways locally...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe each of the special abilities are limited to once per turn. I see no difference in wording between Chekov's ability (deal 1 additional damage to 1 target) and Scott's (repair 1 damaged hull or shield section), but I doubt many will argue that Scott should be able to completely repair the Enterprise each turn for free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Teti
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've played it Chekov has the ability for each hit card. Perhaps overlooked I never thought you can use his ability only once on his turn. I'm guessing players will likely give Chekov all the hit cards if can use everyone. Chekov is a strong character in that regard but not every hit card can be useful on his round.

With 2 players he is strong like Kirk who can draw a card committing cards to the missions. I use one or the other playing solo. They are strong solo characters IMO. The other you can win. Sulu can be good too but on missions that don't allow you to maneuver or when your ship is damaged 3 times he becomes useless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Taylor
United States
Darien
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chekov's card says, "During the Play Cards & Maneuver phase, deal 1 additional Damage to 1 target attacked with a Phaser card," which, to me, says you can apply 1 additional damage to 1 target that you're attacking during that phase. Seems pretty clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Stewart
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
mb
I agree with Chad. The key of his power is the limiter at the end: "During the Play Cards & Maneuver phase, deal 1 additional Damage to 1 target attacked with a Phaser card."

I think the intended reading of the power is to change a single phaser card to deal 2-damage like a torpedo. The most liberal reading of this power would grant you the +1 damage bonus to every phaser card played against a single ship, but never more than that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Wolski
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clevider wrote:
I believe each of the special abilities are limited to once per turn. I see no difference in wording between Chekov's ability (deal 1 additional damage to 1 target) and Scott's (repair 1 damaged hull or shield section), but I doubt many will argue that Scott should be able to completely repair the Enterprise each turn for free.

True enough, but he'll SAY it will take 3 turns to completely repair the ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.