9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Games for my 8 year old rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luis Brunson

Florida
msg tools
I'd love to play more games with my son. Help me find some that he might like. So far these are his top 3 games (in order of most favorite first).

1. Star Realms: Bought it at DTC this year and I decided to see if he could handle it. He loves it and beats me quite often. I don't pull any punches either. Not sure if he's just good or I'm just really bad. Kid will usually play 2-3 games of this straight.

2. Sushi Go!: Not sure what he likes specifically about this game. He's usually up for playing though.

3. Forbidden Island: This spot was held by Forbidden Desert until recently. From video reviews and listening to podcasts it seems like kids generally tend toward cooperative games. He hasn't said, but I think he likes having a specific job to do.

Honorable Mention: Love Letter was one of the first grown-up games we had him play. He really enjoys it.

Games he is neutral towards: Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, Settlers of Catan, and Takenoko. We have a few kid games, but I was specifically not looking for games like those. He's shown an aptitude for more advanced games. Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MeepleofaMan
United States
Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Commonly recommended and my kids like:
Flash Point: Fire Rescue - co-op with a cool theme
Legend of Drizzt - co-op dungeon crawl (or any in this line)
King of Tokyo
Zooloretto - has animals and tiles but different than Carcossonne with more theme.
Love Letter: Batman is fun, but preview the artwork first to make sure its appropriate.
Legendary: Marvel is a deck-builder similar to Star Realms but a bit more complex.
DC Comics Deck-Building Game - title says it all. I've never played but I hear its a straight forward deck builder.

My 8 year old son really liked:
Labyrinth

Also a lot of kids like Smash-up, I've never taken a liking to it but kids seem to like all of the combinations you can create with the different factions. Lots of expansions too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MaxFool
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My son is currently 8 years old and we have been playing games since he was 4. Here are some of his favorite games - not in any particular order.

Mice and Mystics - His favorite, including all the expansions.
Tail Feathers - He is actually really good in this one. Has beaten me a few times. Probably the game that he picked up the fastest and at a high level. I think the figures and flight mechanics captured his mind quickly.
Star Wars: Imperial Assault - skirmish mode. I had to initially help with the cards but now his reading level can handle it with a few questions here an there.
Forbidden Desert
Forbidden Island - Desert more preferred
Raptor
Star Realms - favorite card game for him
Castle Panic - with expansions. He loves the puzzle-y order of card play mechanics.
Escape: The Curse of the Temple - just pure chaos and hilariousness for him and 6 year old brother.
King of Tokyo - Family favorite for quick post "dinner cleanup" game.
Qwixx

There are more, but being a wargamer I have now introduced him to Commands & Colors: Ancients. He is starting to pick it up but needs clarifications with the cards as well.

I hope this list helps. Always great to share the same hobby with sons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nithos nithos

Iowa
msg tools
VivaDaddy wrote:

Love Letter: Batman is fun, but preview the artwork first to make sure its appropriate.

The Harley Quinn card kills it for playing with my kids. I would suggest Adventure Time Love Letter and from there working with your son to make his own retheme of his favorite show(s). My son did TMNT and my daughter did a MLP set.

DC Comics Deck-Building Game has been one of my son's favorites for years, but is a bit lighter than Star Realms. Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game, would be a bit heavier.

Second King of Tokyo.

Concept and Codenames skyrocketed up my 10 year old's list. But my 7 year old still needs some assistance.

Castle Panic is a bit on the easy side (without Wizard's Tower expansion). But my son likes the Evil Overlord variant, where he is in control of the baddies vs all random chance.

Qwirkle and Tsuro also hit the table often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Brunson

Florida
msg tools
Thanks for all the responses so far! King of Tokyo is one we're definitely looking at. Also, I had forgotten that he's played a friend's copy of Smash Up and liked it. Probably worthy of being on the short list. Castle Panic could be good, but he likes scifi over fantasy. Anyone have experience with Star Trek Panic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Dominion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My nieces and nephews in that age bracket enjoy (besides some of the games you already listed): Colt Express, Imperial Assault and FUSE. I haven't had a chance to play this with the younger ones yet, but my nephew expressed a desire to play Roll for the Galaxy after seeing us play with the older kids. I could definitely see an adept 8-year-old catching on to and enjoying that game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emperors Grace
United States
Rexford
New York
flag msg tools
Hello!
badge
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;The old that is strong does not wither,Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
mbmbmbmbmb
My son (8) loves Colt Express, King of Tokyo, Hey that's my fish, Sushi Go, Settlers of Catan JR*, Ticket to Ride, and Survive.

He tolerates Takenoko occasionally due his liking to make the Panda eat.

*The junior version has a pirate theme and has less social pressure as deals are made with the board/supply rather than through negotiating with players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.