Luke Phillips
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been perusing the Infinity Miniatures over the last few days (I've just ordered the OI starter) but there's one thing that doesn't make much sense to me from a purchasing perspective.

Take for instance this box Combined Army - Yaogat Strike Infantry Unit Box (4). It comes with 4 figures but their AVA is 2 so you can't use them all at once. What's the thinking there?

(This is the first miniatures game I've bought into so this just may be a noob mistake, be brutal )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Severinsson
Sweden
Sundbyberg
Sundbyberg
flag msg tools
...microbrewed beer.
badge
...more hops, better die rolls.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just looking at the picture it seems like the models have different equipment. So maybe it's to let you use all the equipment options available. I haven't played Infinity, so I'm not sure if there are "What you see is what you get" rules for the models.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Russ
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Yep, Patrik is right - it's to allow you to use all of the options. Also, in the Sectorial Armies (basically themed armies from each faction) the AVA is increased for certain units, allowing you to field more of them, at the expense of not having access to other units from the 'vanilla' version of the faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Phillips
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx both.

So are there "what you see is what you get" rules? An if so do people generally ignore them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ignore. But your choices are streamlined so models mostly look wysiwyg already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lukerazor wrote:
Thx both.

So are there "what you see is what you get" rules? An if so do people generally ignore them

It depends on who you expect to play. If you're not going to play in ITS tournaments you can talk with your opponent first. Otherwise you will be expected to have the correct mini where available, with some exceptions:

- Not all unit and equipment options are available yet. If not, proxies are allowable.
- Some options are not reflected on the mini, so proxies are acceptable.

For example on the second point - in most cases the medic or engineer option of a unit doesn't have anything on the mini that distinguishes it. So you could proxy this using a mini of the same unit type with the same weapon.

The biggest concern generally is that the weapons displayed are accurate. So you shouldn't use a model with a Combi-rifle to represent one with an HMG for example. In some cases the model sculpt isn't holding a weapon so this allows options. Some weapons are never shown on the models, such as the different pistols or close combat weapons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mus Rattus
msg tools
Also, Yaogats are AVA 5 in the Morat sectorial. So you can use them all if you're playing a sectorial army.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Inner West Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MillertimeRC wrote:
lukerazor wrote:
Thx both.

It depends on who you expect to play. If you're not going to play in ITS tournaments you can talk with your opponent first. Otherwise you will be expected to have the correct mini where available, with some exceptions:

- Not all unit and equipment options are available yet. If not, proxies are allowable.
- Some options are not reflected on the mini, so proxies are acceptable.

For example on the second point - in most cases the medic or engineer option of a unit doesn't have anything on the mini that distinguishes it. So you could proxy this using a mini of the same unit type with the same weapon.

The biggest concern generally is that the weapons displayed are accurate. So you shouldn't use a model with a Combi-rifle to represent one with an HMG for example. In some cases the model sculpt isn't holding a weapon so this allows options. Some weapons are never shown on the models, such as the different pistols or close combat weapons.

Bang on here, but it also depends on the TO. If it is a new player most TOs and players in general would happily allow you to take a few proxies as long as the unit is the same and you release that info to your opponent before or when you deploy. Most people who play this game are pretty cruisy people who are there to enjoy the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.