$60.00
$20.00
Mark Kaiser
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Whew! The old man (meaning me) who is absolutely not too tech savvy, made it here, with some bling thanks to Von Meister.

Here's the deal, I messaged Cryptozoiic, about a friend who is an artist for the "Zombie Walk" promotional material in Michigan and Ohio, has done album covers for the band "Exploding Zombies", and other bands, and much more. He specializes in zombie art, and he is very, very good at it. He has said he would assist in any way possible with this project. We both love the zombie genre and The Walking Dead. Crypto sounded enthusiastic at first, then became silent, after about 5 messages requesting an email address to send his samples that I have to. Here's another thing, his best friend, is friends with Steven Yeung (Glen) from the TV show. They worked the comedy club together in Detroit. John said he would do anything they need, to support this project, possibly gratuitously for the exposure, however his art is all freehand, and in time consuming pencil and shade. There are very few that can match his skill however. I'm going to attach 3 samples here, but bare in mind, these were taken by photo on my outdated tab, and in no way do these pieces justice (trust me, the detail in person is outstanding!). Tell me what you think. Or email me at Ranger_205vs@yahoo.com
-Mark Kaiser
P.S. I hope this attachment thing works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
While I think that artwork looks okay, I am not sure what you are getting at here. It doesn't match the aesthetic of what we have seen so far for the game, which is all "tweaked" images from the show. Besides, I very much doubt AMC is going to approve any images that aren't in line with their vision of The Walking Dead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waggly Bean
United Kingdom
Walsall
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep this looks really cartoony - not the right style at all.

I also wouldn't be surprised if all the card art was already done anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first thought was Tales from the Crypt, not necessarily zombies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kaiser
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
A few things to understand here folks. These pics were not drawn with The Walking Dead in mind, also anybody who can draw this good 'free hand' would have no problem with "Walking Dead" aesthetics, they are much easier, and less detailed.

I would be EXTREMELY surprised if the artwork was all done on anything in the game, other than the boxes, and the cell shaded, still shot pc cards.
Remember, this game won't be released till this time next year. Leaving alot of development to be done. What you have seen so far, are rough drafts, pre alpha if you will.

How many games do hand drawn artwork on anything anymore? Personally, I would much rather draw an event card, with a maggot filled, fly buzzing, slimy zombie, hand drawn, than a card with just text on it, or one with a screen still.

In a world where "Thanks Dude", doesn't pay the bills, I thought that was very nice of him to even 'consider' this, his art is known in designer circles, he's not new to this, as a matter of fact, he's currently working on a commissioned piece.

On a closing note, his contact, knows Glen (Steven Yeung), his off schedule, filming dates and what not, making PR, with one of the stars a possibility. Now, if that is not some incentive for consideration, I don't know what is.

I do appreciate your opinions, don't get me wrong, but use some imagination with the possibilities on this title, it could really be a big hit, the devils in the details, so is the fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm having a hard time understanding what it is you're doing. Are you trying to get your friend (free publicity) work? I mean, I'm sure Cryptozoic have a team of artists that they are already working with. And I don't quite understand why you keep name dropping Steven Yeung. They are acquaintances, fine. How does that relate to the board game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
Ranger3d75 wrote:

How many games do hand drawn artwork on anything anymore? Personally, I would much rather draw an event card, with a maggot filled, fly buzzing, slimy zombie, hand drawn, than a card with just text on it, or one with a screen still.

Yeah, but this is what I don't understand.

1 - The guy does hand drawn art, but this game is based on a television show by AMC. AMC are going to want images from the show, and that's why you pay for the IP. I doubt they are going to approve any hand drawn art from your friend.

2 - The existing art we have seen features the stills from the show. I expect that to continue throughout all the game cards. If it doesn't, there will be a jarring inconsistency.

3 - I backed the game because it is based on the show. In this case, I actually want images from the show on the cards. I don't want to draw a card to see a hand drawn picture of Glenn, for example. Again, Cryptozoic have paid for the IP, and that's what I expect. Otherwise they might as well have made a generic game with hand drawn art instead.

I get that your friend is very talented, and I hope I don't come across as a tool, but I just think this is not the right project for his work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
2 - The existing art we have seen features the stills from the show. I expect that to continue throughout all the game cards. If it doesn't, there will be a jarring inconsistency.

They look like stills, but they are actually artistically painted/rendered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The provided art samples in the OP are just a proof of talent. If the artist were to hand draw stuff from TWD, I am sure it would be stunning and look like the real thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kaiser
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
OK, let me simplify this. The Glen name drop is about the fact that he could possibly do PR for a friend at a discounted rate, I say again 'possibly', then for Crypto to go through his agent paying full price for anything done (which I don't see happening AT ALL, given their budget) regarding a possible promo.

Next, yes this is for friend exposure, that also benefits the game, and the work projected into it, possibly saving the company a great deal for commissioned artists with tight schedules and expensive asking costs.

Also, the artwork already done, box cover wise is truly amazing, but will the same artist work on EVERYTHING in the game? Will he or she have the time? I doubt it.

A cell shaded option for in game art is possible as well, and would look good, but is that being considered to save cost? Or will everything be done in text only?

Lastly, these pictures are not 'only' what he can do, trust me, in person you guys would be blown away with the details in each one, ie. On the walk poster, there is a bearded zombie with a hat that reads "Kiss Me I'm Irish".
These snaps were taken with a shaky hand, on a crappy tab. He could do stills from the show in his sleep. Plus, he is willing to do much en-gratis, how many of you would spend 3 days on a picture for someone for free?
I will leave it at that, I can tell you this, he doesn't jerk around well, and has no problem bowing out. But what is wrong with being given a shot at some of this artwork? If it doesn't jive, it doesn't go, but it could quite possibly add quite alot. I simply don't understand the negativity here.

With that, i'm out, and if he sees this, huh, he would be too.
Good luck folks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kaiser
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
After doing some thinking, i'm reminded of TSR, possibly the most legendary game company ever, and their games. Steve Jackson? To the old timers here, these names are well known. Anyway, "Escape From New York" a licensed property board game, with hand drawn art, both on the cards, and the instructions. These games leave an impression, because they are unique. Showing different poses, and scenes not seen in the film. "Dawn of the Dead" game by SSI or SPI (had it years ago), same thing. Variety, and imagination was much more commonplace back then, when the easy road wasn't taken as often to save money, resulting in rare gems much sought after today. Possibly, that is my focal point here. Cryptos previous installment featured screenshot taken cards, and that didn't exactly stick memorably with me. I don't know why, but it didn't. Lackluster, was what came to mind. Does anybody understand what i'm getting at here? In example, imagine Daryl hunting in the woods about to shoot a squirrel with a zombie sneaking up on him in the background. A zombie that is slimy, and skeletal, with one eye missing, dripping puss and maggots (gross, I know). Imagine that hand drawn on an event card reading, "Silent Hunter". Or Dale on top of his RV, freaking out with zombies grabbing up at him, stating "Roadside Ambush!".
You get the idea. I believe it would really pop, and be immersive to the players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What you're seeing here isn't negativity. What you're showing just doesn't jive with the project. And Crypto already has graphic designers/artists for the artwork. No single person will do it all. I get the impression you aren't understanding how the production process works.
If you're trying to get your friend some work, I appreciate that. But what he needs is a professional online portfolio of something more than 3 black and white zombie pictures and a declaration that he "can do more."
I've worked most of my professional years in art and graphic design, and what you've shown here just isn't enough for any organization to ascertain whether or not to hire this person.

Nobody is trying to slam your buddy - it's been just an odd post that's out of place where it's posted so you were getting questions and answers from people trying to understand better.
In addition, I hope your friend has thicker skin than you if he's trying to make it in the art world. This little forum is nothing compared to the critique waiting out there.

EDIT: The WD IP was also mentioned - AMC will most likely be specific about how images are shown in the game and get final approval. Not like in the good ol' days of TSR's D&D and the early days of Magic the Gathering when there wasn't an entire Brand department on top of an art department that police consistency and usage.
Aaaah, the good old days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kaiser
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I can respect that, most of his work is on his Facebook page (which I don't have). However, as I've reiterated this is mostly en gratis, free of charge, with a possible link with one of the shows stars. But the negativity is flowing, that is where I have to disagree with you, what burns my butt, is that it's flowing quite freely, with nothing to lose, everything to gain, and without seeing his body of work. He is not a trendy guy, with an agent, professionally done portfolio, etc. He does this as a hobby, he works full time in a shop, but does commissioned pieces for interested parties. I just thought that a name drop for helping with the project, would...help with the project. If Crypto is completely staffed before our pledges have even been figured out and finalized, good for them, but with the offer of outside help, with possible fringe benefits offered and being snuffed is ludicrous. My skin is thick, as is his, but pushovers neither of us are, I'm a retired Special Operations soldier, and he grew up on the mean streets of Flint, MI. If he had the overhead of putting together what you mentioned, none of his art would be free, even to help with the cancer drives he does. But he is not like that at all.
I guess "No good deed goes unpunished" especially with a KS project. But when things get tight, deadlines near, and corners get cut, the extra help could've made the difference, especially from someone with the best intentions and skill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be clear, I didn't mean thin-skinned regarding whether or not he's a tough guy or whatever. I meant it as it relates to taking constructive (and sometimes not so constructive) critique of his work. It's a tough business to break into and support yourself as a freelance illustrator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kaiser
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Gotcha! Thanks for the avatar, Von. You are absolutely correct, but if nobody gives anybody a chance, how will they know their capabilities? Too much closed mindedness today. It's a shame. Give me the good old days! cry LOL!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Strange thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.