Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Strike
United Kingdom
Corsham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I have the EU basegame (dark company edition), with full US cards to play US style game.

I also have Kellar's Kepp US, Ogre horde EU, and Morcar EU.

I am still painting at the moment but I intend to play through the lot (after getting witchlord).

My question is this, is there anything I should be aware of when using US basegame rules in EU edition?, And do you think the EU expansions will be ok played through with US artifacts and equipment?or should i review them and to add a few more body points?

As always, many thanks in advance
Jon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some EU rules are better. Here's how I'd do it

US monster body points but EU attack/defence
EU search. 3 different search types is overkill

Spells
Courage... Use the EU version. Many play the US version wrong. The 2nd ed EU version is clear and much better. Other spells too.

I'd also add.
Equipment can be sold at 50% of cost, no trade on starting weapons.
Lost, thrown weapons are found if the room is searched.
Range of thrown weapons is limited by body points.
Short Sword, Dual Wield 2 for 2 Attacks, not Diagonal Attack.
Give Goblins the ability to split movement value, MAM, move/attack/move. Small fast slippery lil buggers, the chases can be comical depending on rolls.

Treasure - Searching a room not searched for traps, featuring a trap, will trigger the trap. Place the Hero on the trapped square, don’t pick a card. It fits perfectly with how the HQ search mechanic is meant to be seen as working.

Give, trade, change weapons from inventory, Sacrifice 1 movement d6. This fixes issues that players can take advantage of, regarding weapons, armour etc.

I like to add Chaos Tokens, taken from Advanced Hero Quest. They help fix issues of players deliberately wasting turns. Much more fun for the table too, more surprises. I'll copy and paste the mechanics in another post later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want the game to be somewhat challenging play Ogre horde and Morcar with US rules (most importantly the hit points... ogres have 10!!!!)

We have modified a few rules ourselves. Dual wielding certain swords. Things like that.
Gave the wizard a smaller version of the crossbow so he wasn't entirely useless half the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:

Gave the wizard a smaller version of the crossbow so he wasn't entirely useless half the time.

Yeah, the Wizard is worse in the US version, a lot of his spells are weakened.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzUqoUE_JiOud21ESFhLaG9hS1...

That's the link to the chaos tokens, with other mods in there too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Wagener
France
flag msg tools
corkysru wrote:
If you want the game to be somewhat challenging play Ogre horde and Morcar with US rules (most importantly the hit points... ogres have 10!!!!)

We have modified a few rules ourselves. Dual wielding certain swords. Things like that.

Only the Ogre of the Elf Quest Pack has 10. The traditional EU Ogres have different stats each quest.

If you want a good EU->US translation of the Ogre Hordes, take a look at Phoenix' Heroquest pdf for the ogre hordes over at YeOldeInn. He did it right and really thoroughly - layout, rules, game difficulty, everything's perfectly adapted to US rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.