Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James
United States
Talent
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are new to this game and we aren't sure if we should allow discussion after we see our first role cards or if we should just immediately start the app and begin the night round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
muNICU wrote:
We are new to this game and we aren't sure if we should allow discussion after we see our first role cards or if we should just immediately start the app and begin the night round?

Immediately start the app with no discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
That's probably the correct interpretation of the rules, yes. But I've never known it to be enforced, and can't see any good reason for it to be.

For example, we once had a player who was Seer three games running. At the start of their next game, they looked at their role and exclaimed "oh no, not again!". Nobody complained, and it added a bit of extra fun to the game.

Similarly, a friend once said "OK" when I said "Werewolves, open your eyes" in the night phase. Provided it doesn't confuse anybody or put them off their stride too much, that's also amusing every now and then.

Such gimmicks could get old pretty quickly, and people have to understand that giving out information isn't necessarily to their advantage, but I don't think it breaks anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would you reveal something about yourself when you have no idea who you'll be at the end of the night? (Except to misdirect with false information.)

Knowledge is valuable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
If, before dusk, you said "I'm the Insomniac" and people believed you, the Robber might have a strong incentive to swap with you, and the Troublemaker to exchange people other than you.

The devil is in that "and people believed you" detail. (-8

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
clivej wrote:
If, before dusk, you said "I'm the Insomniac" and people believed you, the Robber might have a strong incentive to swap with you

Maybe if you don't have a maximum-evil roleset.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Sure. An Alpha Wolf might well swap you, because it helps to have a werewolf who knows they're a werewolf. But the other players might kill the former Insomniac because they know the Alpha Wolf would think that way...

My broader point is this: although encouraging chatter before dusk might get out of hand, allowing a little once in a while opens up interesting new possibilities without being broken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clivej wrote:
Sure. An Alpha Wolf might well swap you, because it helps to have a werewolf who knows they're a werewolf. But the other players might kill the former Insomniac because they know the Alpha Wolf would think that way...

My broader point is this: although encouraging chatter before dusk might get out of hand, allowing a little once in a while opens up interesting new possibilities without being broken.

Certainly wouldn't encourage chatter. When it does happen on accident, it can be pretty funny. It's such a light game that in the case someone gives something away, it's not a big deal to just re-shuffle and re-deal.

Unless they're a repeat offender. Then maybe they should play other games. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.