Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Khang Wey Cham
Malaysia
Bayan Lepas
Penang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I knew about this rule for quite some times but until now I start questioning it.

"Rare Special Case: At the beginning of your turn, if you have no workers on the gears, then you must place workers. And if you do not have enough corn to place a worker, then you must beg for corn. But if you are already at the bottom step of every temple, then you cannot beg for corn. Do not worry. In this situation, the gods will take pity on you and allow you to place exactly 1 worker. You place the worker on an action space with the lowest possible cost and give all your corn to the bank."

So my question is, is the lowest possible cost action space is the lowest from among all 4 gears? Or one of the chosen gear? If it is among the 4 gears, player has to force to place a worker on a gear space even though he doesn't want to use that gear, for example Chichen Itza? If there are more equally lowest cost action spaces, can a player choose?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kwcham wrote:
"...You place the worker on an action space with the lowest possible cost and give all your corn to the bank."

So my question is, is the lowest possible cost action space is the lowest from among all 4 gears?

FWIW that is how I would interpret the rule as written.

But I have no idea if that is indeed the intention, or whether they mean the lowest cost space on a selected gear, which could also be a plausible rule for this unusual situation.

Quote:
If there are more equally lowest cost action spaces, can a player choose?

Surely yes. Otherwise what else? You can't place a worker? An opponent chooses the space? It is randomly selected?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Holt
England
Rayleigh
Essex
flag msg tools
This is not the cat you're looking for - some other cat maybe?
badge
tout passe, tout lasse, tout casse
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably doesn't matter - if you're in that position you have lost.
… (and lost ignominiously)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
andyholt wrote:

Unless perhaps the opponent is also in that unfortunate position too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
andyholt wrote:

Given that there's five 0 cost action spaces on the board, it's extraordinarily unlikely that you're opponent(s) have filled them up and are still doing as badly as someone unable to play a worker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
runtsta wrote:
russ wrote:
andyholt wrote:

Given that there's five 0 cost action spaces on the board, it's extraordinarily unlikely that you're opponent(s) have filled them up and are still doing as badly as someone unable to play a worker.

Sure, but this whole discussion is already in the realm of improbable strange situations (it seems already extraordinarily unlikely that a remotely competent player will be unable to place a worker or pray to the gods)... and it is true that if your opponent is also in this pathologically bad situation of not being able to place a worker or pray to the gods, then you're not necessarily the loser.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see it as a way of getting you back into the game, you should never have got into this position anyway. I see it as a way of preventing an impossible situation. yes you may have to place a worker on a gear that is of no value to you. Next turn you may well have to remove your worker and get nothing and then have to repeat on following turns, but at least the game can continue.
Without this rule the game could reach an impass where there is no way to continue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You place the worker on an action space with the lowest possible cost and give all your corn to the bank

I think it just means the lowest possible cost on the gear you select.

Else it would have said something like:

Quote:
You place the worker on THE action space with the lowest possible cost and give all your corn to the bank
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wildhorn wrote:
Quote:
You place the worker on an action space with the lowest possible cost and give all your corn to the bank

I think it just means the lowest possible cost on the gear you select.

Else it would have said something like:

Quote:
You place the worker on THE action space with the lowest possible cost and give all your corn to the bank

I read it the opposite - the rule recognizes there might be more than one zero cost space open, then you choose one ("an") of them. If the zeros are all full, choose one of the one cost spaces, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.