The Castles of Burgundy» Forums » General

Subject: That surplus dice number rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R. O. Schaefer
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
I don't know whether this came up yet, but at least I don't recall it. When thinking about the board configuration (= 37 hexes), I started to wonder about that surplus dice number. You would suppose that every number should be present 6 times, except one number that has 7 occurrences. This seems indeed to be the case. Then I had the idea, the surplus number might be a hint about Stefan Feld's preferred starting position of the castle - so that after placing it you have all numbers present equally ...

I started to check board 14, because it's the latest addition at yucata:

The best starting position is not easy to determine here, but I still prefer the lower left between the ships with the idea to expand quickly to the small areas to the right. If you can place a ship at nr. 2 round 1, that's great - otherwise take the path via 3 building, 6 animal (with not many big areas you might need the 4space-animal area anyway). This means you will find it difficult to play with mines. But I don't like them that much anyway, when they form a single 3-square-area (I know they are considered to be strong in general). But this is a another interesting topic of discussion.

Anyway, I got excited when I saw that this castle space has indeed a surplus 1 ...

Then I checked the expansion board from third expansion (2013) and board nr. 1 and was left a bit disappointed. The surplus number seems to be always 1, and it's not a castle space on those boards (I haven't checked the other boards). This means, if you take the castle in the middle of the board 1, you will have 5 x nr. 6 left and 7 x nr. 1 on your tableu (all others 6 x). I then tried to connect this to the fixed colors present at certain dice numbers at the main board and tried to draw some conclusions regarding strategic assumptions, but it's probably too far-fetched. You have variance anyway and the small deviations in the total ocurrences shouldn't matter that much. So most likely, Stefan has just a little sympathy for that low and often unloved dice number 1. What's your opinion? ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baier
United States
Grand Forks
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hadn't thought of this before, although I'm much more an intuitive player than overtly mathematical in my approach to the game. That said, my win ratio on Yucata is still undefeated, so that surplus 1 can't matter too much in terms of strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. O. Schaefer
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
I'm also playing intuitively (both our sample total number of yucata games is not very high btw - I'm not undefeated though).

Still I'm very interested in the design process of this fine game. Obviously Stefan Feld had to figure out the distribution of the different types first, so that your color distribution (spaces for ships, buildings etc.) is fixed now regarding the number of available squares. Regarding the area sizes there is still room for creativity. How many one size squares are suitable for a balances board, how far they are place from each other etc.

And then there are the dice numbers. Are they related to colors or other boards? Or ist there simply the design rule to not put the same numer adjacent and use all numbers eqally, except that surplus 1? I guess, it's the latter ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
Life Ain't No Zombiefarm
mbmbmbmb
I have not checked this, but I think somewhere at yucata was stated, that most player boards have exactly the same number configuration on each location of the boards. It is even assembled fix into the software of the Yucata-implementation, therefore they couldn't add some special championship board, they wanted to add.

Following this, there should be a surplus 1 on any board, which has this standard distribution, but since castles are scattered all over the board, it is not surprising, that not every board has a "1 castle".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.