Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: first edition problems vs second edition? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jérémy royaux
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hey !

I'm interested in this game (for solitaire play)
I read on BGG that the first edition was fun but had a lot of problems (rules, poor scenarios,...)

Could somebody who read the new rules / scenarios or played the game comment on that? Is the second edition better or will i find the same problems in there?

Also, could you tell me if this game is strong on story telling. I love Eldritch Horror because of that. It's highly thematic et rich on story but i didn't enjoy Elder Sign (more puzzle than story)

thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
Mainly the issues with the first edition is that setup was very slow and fiddly (much improved here) and balance was basically non existent.

Pretty hard to comment on the balance yet, but it is shaping up to be a game that will be fun even when you get crushed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My main problems with 1st edition were:

1. Setup. Not only was setup a long process but the slightest mistake could completely wreck the game.
2. The Keeper. Played properly the Keeper would murder the players every time. You could pull your punches to give the other players an easier time but at that point it would be better to play a full RPG. Not only that, but I had to play the Keeper every time I played it.
3. Card draw. Sometimes you'd have to pull loads of cards off the top of the combat decks before you got to that firearm attack you needed. Great combat system but that was needlessly annoying.

So, 2nd edition may very well have problems of its own, we'll see. But it's already eliminated my tree main issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jérémy royaux
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
interesting. Seems positive !
What about story? Is the game like Elder Sign (more like puzzle + dice, not a lot of story) ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only had a first pass through one adventure in the app and story looks at least on par with 1st edition, probably even higher. And 1st edition was already pretty good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
The storytelling aspect is certainly much stronger than in Eldritch Horror. Each scenario of MoM tells a cohesive story, as opposed to the random events of EH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
blackshad wrote:
What about story? Is the game like Elder Sign (more like puzzle + dice, not a lot of story) ?

I love Elder Sign but it has very little in the way of a story. While there is an overall story when you play ES, the turn to turn gameplay wasn't exactly thematic.

MoM on the other hand is more likely the most thematic of the entire Arkham Horror series of games (AH, EH, ES, MoM). I've yet to see how 2nd Ed plays compared to 1st Ed but 1st Ed was story driven I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:
[q="blackshad"]MoM on the other hand is more likely the most thematic of the entire Arkham Horror series of games

MoM2.0 probably has the strongest storytelling potential of any board game, ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
xris wrote:
[q="blackshad"]MoM on the other hand is more likely the most thematic of the entire Arkham Horror series of games

MoM2.0 probably has the strongest storytelling potential of any board game, ever.

Seconded. And additionally it's a strong game (other "storytelling" games are less sound in terms of boardgaming experience, i.e. narrative is enjoyable but the rest is not)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another benefit of an app over the printed materials? If something goes wonky in design (just look at the issues some of the expansion scenarios had for 1.0), they can easily fix and quickly deploy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Building the perfect game collection for our growing family
badge
Who knew Euro games could be thematic?
mbmbmbmbmb
Idaho11 wrote:
Another benefit of an app over the printed materials? If something goes wonky in design (just look at the issues some of the expansion scenarios had for 1.0), they can easily fix and quickly deploy it.

Some of the 1E scenarios were literally broken and could not be run as shown in the printed materials. If you weren't savvy enough to look for the errata online, you were up a creek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dojogrant wrote:
Idaho11 wrote:

Some of the 1E scenarios were literally broken and could not be run as shown in the printed materials. If you weren't savvy enough to look for the errata online, you were up a creek.

And even if you did know to look, you had to wait for replacements to ship out for certain tiles. Now, they can just adjust the scenario to fix the issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was hoping for new mini stands. These are just too big when facing multiple monsters in the same room I often have to stack them on top of each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.