24 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: small compact games to take on holiday (2P) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jay young
msg tools
Hi Folks,

I'm hoping someone can suggest a couple of games that fit my requirements.

Basically i'm looking for a game (or two) that is nice and compact, that can easily fit in hand luggage, and that could be played on a small surface. If it could be played on the trays you have when flying that would be great! But something that can be played on a smallish camping table would suffice.

I'm thinking of something such as "Epic Card Game" that is small, does not need expansions, and can be easily transported without taking up a load of room.

Star realms looks like it could be another choice.

Its mainly going to be for my wife and I to play whilst on holidays, so it must be at least 2 player, but i have no issues of it being capable of playing with more.

Something like dominion would be great, but without the need for the table layout. The box is also a bit big for what i would like it to be.

I have plenty of phone games such as talisman, and carcasonne, but i would prefer something physical.

Other games i have been lookign at are things such as bloodbowl team builder, or the game of thrones card games, but they look like they make take up considerable room.

Does anyone have any suggestions on "holiday games" that i should look into. preferably that are on Amazon, and are less than £15-£20?

We are fairly well into our board/card games, and play pathfinder card game, dominion, pandemic, walking dead: best defence. So anything similar to those styles would be cool, but also any thing different but has some depth is also welcome.

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr. Jack Pocket and Jambo were our travel games on our most recent holiday. Both are specifically made for two players, and both have a pretty compact footprint. Mr. Jack Pocket is a fun puzzle that is much more of a thinker than you might expect. Jambo has been reimplemented by Asante, and we now own both after falling in love with Jambo on our trip. It's a fun card game with some take-that, but it's a really fun race to get to 60 gold. I highly recommend both Mr. Jack Pocket and Asante. Jaipur is another fun one you'll see recommended often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coloretto
Tides of Time
Hanabi
Star Realms, indeed
Visby
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Nolan
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
I don't know about on a seat back table but Citadels has a small box and a small footprint on the table, certainly with two players anyway. Despite being a multiplayer game it is very good with 2 or 3 as well.

The new edition, which is not out yet, comes in a big box but it still seems possible to get the current edition on Amazon, and no doubt other places.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Mercer
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The tiny epic games are pretty good, and compact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hive Pocket
5 mins to teach, 10 mins to play (good for a best of three format), small footprint, costs <£15.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leach
United Kingdom
Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
Small footprint French deck (52 card poker deck) games for 2:
Indian Chief
WYSIWYG
Haggis
Cribbage

Playing with more? You can use a French deck to play these:
Diamant
Skull
The Resistance

Take a handful of dice a "silenced" "dice tray" (felt-lined card board box) and play:
Hoppladi Hopplada! (for 2+)
Liar's Dice (for more)

But Star Realms might work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Port Royal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you open to a light game with wargame mechanics?
Invaders from Dimension X! comes in a ziploc. It is solo designed but does have 2-player rules that work easily. It has humor, strategy, and a very small and light footprint. If you aren't into wargames at all you might need to go through the rules more than once but the rules are short with lots of explanatory text. It is folder sized.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaipur, Dead Man's Draw, and Archaeology: The New Expedition are three games that my wife and I always bring with us on vacation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
AdrianPHague wrote:
Hive Pocket
5 mins to teach, 10 mins to play (good for a best of three format), small footprint, costs <£15.

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Asahi
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Race for the Galaxy, just deck of cards and few counters, reasonable footprint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizzie j
New Zealand
flag msg tools
look into my eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Realms is perfect for this.
Valley of the Kings is a favorite of mine. It takes up a bit more space than Star Realms but should be playable.
Jambo is pretty great and doesn't use up too much space. Targi is also excellent but probably takes up too much room.
Jaipur is good and doesn't take up too much space.
Then there are games like Haggis.
Also, if you are willing to carry the book but ditch the box Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases is probably doable.

Edit:
+1 Hive Pocket is a good abstract for travel.

Game of thrones card game is not ideal for travel. It would probably take up too much space on the table and it's a bit fiddly - you each have draw decks,your characters on the table with any attachments which need to kneel and stand and be put forward for combat. Then you have power tokens (some of which must sir on characters), coin tokens etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Life is a lamp-flame before a wind.
msg tools
badge
mu
mbmbmbmbmb
Most games in the Kosmos two-player series fit the bill. Personally, I'm very fond of Kahuna, Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation, Jambo, Lost Cities, Perry Rhodan: The Cosmic League, and Times Square.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favourite travelling games:
Love Letter
Star Fluxx
Gloom
Tiny Epic Galaxies
Red7

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
We just played "The Game" last night two and three player and I must say it's a very challenging coop card game. Just cards that get played in four piles. Take a look at the Game Night episode where they play it. It is abstract but it's still a really good game IMO. It also plays 1-5 so you can solo it and can add more than the two players as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would go with:

Okiya - very small compact game. nice components..
Tides of Time - fun 2 player micro game.. only 18 cards..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Qwixx, Qwinto, 30 Rails, Zombie Dice are all dice games that travel well.

+1 to The Game, hive, pocket Mr Jack, and red 7.

I made this geek list with a fee games played on a plane tray table: Played on a Plane Picture Proof

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett X
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Red7
Qwirkle travel edition comes in a small zip bag which is also the draw bag.

Ingenious: Travel Edition

From your collection you seem to like Pandemic so maybe Pandemic: The Cure? I can't vouch for table space (never played it) but you can take everything in large ziploc freezer bags for easy transport.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also Times Square, which is pretty compact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Fox
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaipur
Jambo
Citadels
Fjords
Parade
Monopoly Deal Card Game
Cold War: CIA vs KGB
Pandemic: The Cure
Hive

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Chov
China
BEIJING
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We are on holiday right now

We have a smallish plastic box with us containing:

Mr. Jack Pocket
Star Realms
Arboretum
Tides of Time
Lords of Scotland

5 week vacation, and they've all been played, in airports as well, although not actually on a plane yet. The box goes in our hand luggage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Ponte Vedra Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mystery Rummy: Jack the Ripper
Longhorn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.