Popular Tags: [View All]
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the life goals is "be the first person to die". According to the rules one can discard any card in front of him, gaining 1 stress & losing 1 STH. Is it legal and/or in the spirit of the game to discard multiple cards at once, just to be the first to die? Rule-wise it seems okay, it just feels a bit... weird, thematically.

Can activities or objects that do not have an upkeep cost be discarded? Can completed projects be discarded? Technically, the rule state "whatever it is", I just wanted to make sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vangelis Bagiartakis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Theoritically yes, you can discard multiple cards in order to push your stress to higher levels, although I can't see such an approach being very effective (you'll get the Life Goal but you 'll lose many other things).

Also, keep in mind you can discard only things that are in front of you (and have a reason to be there). For example you may discard an ongoing Project (you may want to free the slot) but not a completed one - that one has been set aside.

There is nothing in the rules to prevent an item with no upkeep (or an activity) to be discarded but since the only reason to do so would be to "game the system" I would advise/rule against it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
Brussel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
avyssaleos wrote:
Theoritically yes, you can discard multiple cards in order to push your stress to higher levels, although I can't see such an approach being very effective (you'll get the Life Goal but you 'll lose many other things).

Also, keep in mind you can discard only things that are in front of you (and have a reason to be there). For example you may discard an ongoing Project (you may want to free the slot) but not a completed one - that one has been set aside.

There is nothing in the rules to prevent an item with no upkeep (or an activity) to be discarded but since the only reason to do so would be to "game the system" I would advise/rule against it.

What about partners? If you're dating a person and you want to start a relationship with another, does it cost stress and STH just to dump the current partner, even though you're only dating?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vangelis Bagiartakis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it does. We thought about allowing that exception to the rules (since thematically it could fit) but we opted for consistency and kept all the discards the same.

You can say that even though you are only dating, things are going very well and you have very high hopes. Thus, if you end up not seeing each other any more, it hurts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amilcar Piedade
msg tools
One can do it thematically with what you find on the table. Maybe you go through a distructive midlife crisis. Start dating other women (1 stress each), have your wife divorce you (more stress) and then get a sports car or motorcycle and crash it or go bar hopping and end up losing your job... Lots of ways to get stressed. Although that's not quite pursuing Long Term Happiness
I think that if you can tell a funny life story (even if with a depressing end) to the players you are playing with, there should be no issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Picon wrote:
One of the life goals is "be the first person to die". According to the rules one can discard any card in front of him, gaining 1 stress & losing 1 STH. Is it legal and/or in the spirit of the game to discard multiple cards at once, just to be the first to die? Rule-wise it seems okay, it just feels a bit... weird, thematically.

Can activities or objects that do not have an upkeep cost be discarded? Can completed projects be discarded? Technically, the rule state "whatever it is", I just wanted to make sure.

I think it fits thematically. By discarding all your items to die, it's as if having all these ths to juggle put too much stress in your life and had a heart attack because of it. The discarding only works as thr means to cause it to happen, which may be wanted.

I actually did this in a solo game because I had to die entering old age to have a chance to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.